I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, October 1, 2012

Walking God’s Path and Living His Plan

 By Pat Trainum writing as P. T. Bradley
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

God has a plan for each of us, a pathway for us to walk, and it doesn’t always include what we think it should.
That thought kept running through my mind as I drove the 550 miles back from Dallas last week. I've always believed God gifted me to be a writer. I’ve worked hard to improve my writing skills and gone from getting scores in the 50s and 60s in the Genesis contest to this year being a finalist. (Thank you, Susie May Warren, Rachel Hauck, Deep Thinker's Retreats, The Ponderers and my Imagine-That-Writers crit partners)

Since I never go into a contest thinking I’ll win, I wasn’t really disappointed when I didn’t. I’d said all along that I’d won when I became a finalist. And I meant it. Winning the Genesis wasn’t in God’s plan for me. And that’s the point. God has a plan. He will give us exceedingly abundantly more that we can think or ask, but it will be in His time frame, not ours. In the meantime, we have to do our part. We have to be ready.
I have a cross stitched piece on my wall: Success is that place in the road where preparation and opportunity meet. But too few people recognize it, because too often it comes disguised as hard work.

Let’s face it, sitting behind a computer, opening our veins and bleeding words on the page is hard work. A lot of those words are never seen by anyone other than our crit partners. That’s why it’s so important to know Who you are writing for and why.
If you’re writing for fame and fortune, you’ll probably never get either. But if you are writing to glorify the One who gave you the gift of writing, you’ll be able to handle the disappointments that will litter your road to publication.

So, that contest you entered and didn’t win, the editor or agent you didn’t get—don’t fret about it. It wasn’t in God’s plan for you, at least not right now. But it was His plan for someone else. Be happy for them. Your time will come.
Remember Psalm 34:4: Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart’s desires. But also remember just 3 verses later the psalmist says, “Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for Him to act.”

What has God whispered in your ear this week?
 
Pat Trainum writing as P. T. Bradley
www.ptbradley.com
http://mbtponderers.blogspot.com/
@PTBradley1
Winner 2012 Daphne du Maurier Unpub Inspirational Category

I asked God to teach me patience and He gave me a book to write

25 comments:

  1. Well said, Pat. Doors open and close on this road we call life, more specifically "writing life."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Cheryl. Can't wait until next week when we go to the Rattlesnake Saloon and Coon dog cemetery. Do I see a blog post coming?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, Pat. The verse you quoted was one I clung to while waiting for God to give me the husband HE had in mind for me. Boy, am I glad I waited. :) God's gift was far greater than what I pictured for myself.

    God has been reminding me to keep my focus on Him and not on everything swirling around me. He's reminding me He gave me my story to write, and there's more work to do on it, so don't lose heart or give in to the lies that tempt me to give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, God's plan is always better than anything we can come up with!

      Delete
  4. Wow! Thanks for sharing. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Sonya. Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  5. So true and really well-done, Pat. It's fun to live much of this with you. I know you're already a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dee! Have fun for me in Hawaii!!

      Delete
  6. I love your focus, Pat. You are focused on your journey, your path, not someone else's. And this way, you won't get tripped up because you're trying to follow the path God has laid out for someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took me a while to get here, Beth, but yes, I'm focusing on God's path and waiting for Him. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Pat,

    So very true. Loved the wisdom. Just this morning I was talking with a friend of mine and how important it was to prioritize our writing, because someone on the other side of publication is waiting for the healing or wisdom the story provides.

    Be faithful to the calling and God will make the crooked places straight.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Alena, I love that! Healing or wisdom the story provides. I'm going to print that out and stick it above my computer.

      Delete
    2. Beautifully said, Alena!

      Delete
  8. I love these comments, my sisters! God has already done great things for the Ponderers, and I'm so thankful He has given us each other for the journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is BEAUTIFUL and so inspiring. Especially for those in this industry. I really needed this and a perfect approach for the new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Anna. Just so glad it touched you!

      Delete
  10. Funny little whisper in my ear this week.

    "We Are Going To War" No, I didn't pick up a sword and go charging off into a distant realm in history. But I am taking on those challenges and struggles closest to my heart. Time for victory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Do you trust Me?" is what the Lord has whispered in my year this year.

    It has been so hard to let go and let Him take over. It's hard for me to trust even though He has proven faithful time and time again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. God whispered that in my ear one time when I was going through a really difficult time. I can remember it so well. I was driving home from Chattanooga, fretting about what was going on in my life, and His voice was so real, I actually looked in the back seat. Even so, it was still hard to let go.
    Thanks Ruth...great comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Pat! I'm so proud of you :) Thanks so much for the reminder we need to do our part to be ready and then trust.

    Jenny G.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Day-long drives are great for pondering. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about God's plans for us. You've worked so hard, Pat, and I'm thankful that it's part of God's plan for us to be sharing our journeys with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh do I know what you mean. I didn't even final in the Genesis this year, but I didn't let myself get discouraged. I met the lady who one in my category and I like her! I'm happy for her! God does have a plan and I'm in it...walking it out as He leads.

    Thanks Pat. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this encouraging post, Pat! Sometimes it's hard to remember that God has a plan. So glad we can trust and delight in Him. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete