I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, September 28, 2012

Time Thieves and Other Creatures



by ginger r. takamiya

My phone starts ringing about 10:00am every morning because I don’t have a “real” job.

People in my life contact me often because “All the other mothers work” for a living.

I don’t blame them. I trained them to treat me like that. 
No, they aren't trying to belittle me. 
They just don’t understand what I “Do with all that time at home,” you see.

This summer was my wake-up call. I think my family and I got to spend 3 weekends together without helping someone else complete a task they deemed important. On top of all that, I had my mother’s 70th birthday bash to plan and two writers’ conferences that I wasn’t ready for.

Why?

Because I had forgotten that doing all those “good” things were not necessarily what God wanted me spending my time on

Oh, I needed to help Miss Jean go to the doctor and maybe take my daughter on a 4 hour trip to get new pointe shoes, but I also needed to do something just as important.

I needed to write.

I often ponder the day of my judgment and hearing the words, “Well done, good and faithful servant.” 

But, there is a second part to that verse. It goes like this:


“His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’

You have been faithful with a few things.

Had I?


No. I had tried so hard to be faithful with all the tasks that had come my way that I had neglected the one task God had given me to do…Write.



That doesn't mean that I never say, "Yes". There will always be urgencies that we’ll need to set our writing aside for, but you need to reconsider which requests are true urgencies and which are time thieves.

I once told my dearest prayer partner, “If I don’t treat my writing like it’s important, no one else will either.”

Are you going to let the Time Thief steal from you today? Will you let him tell you that God didn't really mean for you to work this hard at it? That every creature called "Good deed" is worth more than your writing?

Prioritize. I'm not telling you to never say "Yes," I'm telling you that writing is your currency--your talent. Will you invest it? Or bury it under a million other things until the Master comes?
It’s up to you.

Let's pray about it.

Father, help us to see the importance of what you've called us to. Help us to balance our writing so that it takes neither first place nor last place in our lives. Give us wisdom to know when to say, "No". Help us to understand its worth. In Jesus name.

Now go write!

ginger r. takamiya

12 comments:

  1. Oh, Ginger! Great post. One that I need. Good things have long been what gets in the way of God's best for me. But, sometimes it's so hard saying no. I finally came up with an answer when someone asks me to do something. "I'll pray about it." Then I really do, and if God lays on my heart the answer is yes, I do it. Otherwise, I say no. Practice that--No. No. No. I'm sorry but my calendar says I have an appointment. (I do--I've penciled in writing every day from 5 am to 9:30, then from 2-4)

    You are so right when you say if we don't take our writing seriously, no one else will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. I've really had to learn that the hard way. My hubby has helped me tremendously in this. I can't tell you what it did for me the day he sat me down in front of my PC and showed me the spreadsheet of time he worked out for me. I get to write every day because Handsome validated this priority.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous post, Ginger. I've been challenged repeatedly with the challenge of knowing what is good and what is God's best. My husband is good at helping know when to say, "No." But, this requires sacrificing things I may want to help with or participate in. He's great at helping me remember the calling God gave me to write.

    I'm so glad you've discovered the beauty of balance. May we all learn when to say yes, and no. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth. Husbands who love God are so wonderful. They have a wisdom to lead us in ways we don't always seem to recognize. At least I didn't. I do now :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ginger, so wonderful seeing your hard work pay off when you won the Frasier--and Pat's great support. He too seems a vital part of the Ponderers, or Ponderers Plus--something loving and significant. Thanks for your good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee. He really a Ponderer fan. He asks me often how each of you are doing :)

      Delete
  5. Great words today, Ginger! Diligence and the talent to win the Frasier...I'm expecting great things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri, it was soooooo good to see you at the MBT party! Such a lovely reminder of how faithful and merciful God is to us. Your daughter is a beautiful blessing as well. Glad she could come too. It was great to meet her at ACFW :)

      Delete
  6. Well-said, Ginger. This is a trap we all seem to fall into at one time or another. Thank you for wise words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia for taking the time to leave a comment. So much appreciated :)

      Delete