I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, October 22, 2012

Ashamed of Your Call?


Hubby and I at the ACFW 2012 Dressed in Character
I WRITE CHRISTIAN ROMANCE!
Yeah, you heard me right.
Christian. Romance.

At first when people would ask me what I write, I would tell them a variety of answers depending on who I was speaking to.  “I write Christian Fiction” or “I write women’s fiction” or “I write Spec.” just because I didn't want to deal with their reactions.  “Christian romance? Isn't that an oxymoron?”

One day I asked God, “Can’t I just write Speculative fiction? No one looks at me cross eyed when I say Spec, unless they don’t know what it is. Even then, it’s more acceptable to write Spec than it is to write romance.”

I know this is going to seem completely unrelated but stay with me, okay?

I like to read the Bible. I mean I really do. I study it every day and usually walk away thinking, “Well, that was some good information. But what did I learn?”

One of my writer friends, who happens to be a woman theologian, came over. I mean she’s really a Bible scholar. She talked about things the Lord was teaching her and I finally stopped her. “Christa, I envy you. I wish I could be a Scholar. I long to see the profound, the deep things of God. To be able to relate them to others. How do you do it?”

“Well, Ginger, I simply go to God and ask Him what He wants to teach me. One stint in my life God simply had me reading one chapter a day and then writing down what I learned about Him in that chapter. It took four years but it was the most productive thing I've ever done. As I went through those chapters, no matter what book I was in, I could see the nature of God in them.”

Something clicked.

It clicked because every time I went to the Bible and read, all I could see was God’s love for His people. I could hear His voice crying out in love, “If you don’t do this, than that will happen to you. Hear me!” 
Yes, I could hear His love, even in the midst of His judgment.

I got it. I knew.

God was revealing His love to me through the scriptures because He called me to write about it. Not in non-fiction matter-of-fact ways, but through story. Through the journeys of my characters.

God’s love. Yeah, I can do that.

So if you ask me, “What do you write?”
I write Christian romance.

Tell me, how did you come to understand your calling? What do you write? 

ginger r. takamiya

18 comments:

  1. Love this post and you describe embracing your calling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. And thanks for taking the time to drop by and comment :)

      Delete
  2. I feel the same way! In fact, I haven't told anyone that I'm writing because I'm afraid of the questions - especially when it seems even other christian writers are writing much more distinguished fiction than I. However, I know I'm going to have to reveal it someday so I'm thankful that I'm not alone;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope, you really are not alone. I pray God validates your call so that you may KNOW. As it says in Ephesians 1:18 I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints...

      Thank you for taking the time to comment :)

      Delete
  3. Hey, Ginger, try telling people you write Christian murder mysteries! lol. God blesses each of us differently. And ain't it fun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Imagining the cross-eyed glances you get :)

      Delete
  4. On Saturday, I used the very phase: "I write Christian romance. Sounds like an oxymoron, right?" ;-)

    I used to say, "I write inspirational fiction." But that didn't explain much.

    So I've now embraced my calling because God wants me to write novels of how imperfect people can trust Him with the stories of their lives. Everyone has a love story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!

      You're right. We all do if we are in Christ. What greater love story than that He died for us, WHILE we were still sinners.

      Delete
  5. G,
    I totally get it. Sometimes I don't want to say anything just because of that weird look you get!

    But you know what? I'm okay with it, because if I write and it changes one life, then it was worth it! :)

    Alena T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it will change lives, Alena. Of that I am very sure.

      Delete
  6. God called me to write Christian romance, and if I don't, then I'm being disobedient to his calling. I say it loud and proud. After all, who created romance? God. Who created marriage? God. Who created passion? God. It's how you use it and whether it glorifies or saddens him.

    Thank you for your wise words, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what most of us do not understand, Lisa. If we DO NOT write, we are in disobedience to God's call and we will give an account of that one day, before HIM.

      Delete
  7. Oh yes, I totally went through a time of feeling embarrassed to admit I write romance--as if I write dime novels with half-dressed men and women on the cover. Ha! Not so much. Thing is, writers know what romance means, but I think so many others hear the word and immediately flit to just that--Rambo-type covers. LOL! For awhile, I even couched my answer to what I write as "women's fiction." But no...I write romance. I write contemporary romance...and I'm proud of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a conversation about this yesterday. Someone asked, "Why, of all the things you could choose to write, why would you write Christian romance?" My answer, "Romance isn't silly, fluffy or inconsequential. Romance is love. Of all the things I could write, what is greater writing about real love? It's real love between a man and woman, real love between friends or real love between anyone?" Most importantly, what could be greater than writing about real love between God and His children? It's what Jesus died for so of course I write about love!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Another sister who gets it. Thanks Susan :) And thanks for retweeting this too.

      Delete
  9. Ginger, I'm a day late, but yesterday was too crazy for blogs. And I don't think I've ever had that kind of a Monday.

    All that to say, I'm soooo glad I stopped over here today. Loved your post. You bring up great points. We should never be afraid of our calls. I've been struggling a little bit with the thought that some of my friends don't understand or accept that I'm not as available as I once was for serving and doing things and getting together. I know that sometimes, fulfilling my call requires sacrifice. And that's okay, if it is what God's called me to do.

    For the record, I really DO write women's fiction. :) With romantic threads. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the record, I really DO write women's fiction. :) With romantic threads. :)

      LOL, that is so funny, Jeanne.

      Delete