I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, October 29, 2012

I'm Happy Dancing and Here's Why


Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

This has been the verse I've clung to during my writing journey. I've always believed God gave me the gift of writing and expected me to do something with it. And for the past couple of years, I've tried to enjoy the journey…this is after I realized that getting published was in His timing, not mine. The Lord knows I've tried to make it in mine. In His timing (July of this year), I signed with my fantastic agent, Mary Sue Seymour, and she sent my book out to the publishing world.

Fast forward to October. Mary Sue had emailed me that Shadows from the Past had been approved by the pub board at Revell, and we would be hearing something by the 26th. Friday I was on the road, coming home from Chattanooga to see my mom so I had my email alerting me whenever I received a message. An alert would sound and I would pull over and look at my phone, but it was never from Mary Sue. I emailed her to ask if she thought we’d hear from Revell. Every so often, I’d stop and manually check my email, but nothing. Nada. My hopes were getting lower and lower. By the time I made it home, I was preparing myself for bad news. Made a stop at Walmart to get makings for soup and called my mom to let her know I’d made it home. I was on that call when an email beeped in. I looked at it and it was from Mary Sue, so I told my mom I’d call her back.

I opened it and read I hope so.  It was Mary Sue’s reply to my email. Two minutes later as I exited Walmart, another email beeped in. The subject line read—One more thing. I opened it, and it was a forward of a follow-up to another email the editor at Revell had sent, and it didn't make a lick of sense to me. At the top, Mary Sue had written—see additional note…
I quickly emailed her I hadn't seen the other note. She emailed back—you didn't get the email with the offer?

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! I hadn't gotten the original email with the offer. By this time I was in my car (thank goodness not driving), but someone wanted my parking space and sat waiting. I put my phone down and gave them my space, then pulled over as another email beeped in. It was the offer.

Did you know your body doesn't handle good news much better than bad? As I read the email, I.Could.Not.Breathe. My mind went numb, blank actually, my heart took off, I thought I was going to faint. But I was so deliriously happy. After years of waiting, God had given me the desires of my heart. Only He’d done it in his fashion.
            Me   = One book
            God = Three books

And that's why I'm Happy Dancing! Oh, and soup didn't get made Friday night.

Tell me about a time He’s done more than you asked or even imagined.

Pat Trainum writing 
www.ptbradley.com
http://mbtponderers.blogspot.com/
@PTBradley1
Winner of
2012 Daphne du Maurier-Inspirational Unpublished
Touched By Love
Genesis finalist-Romantic Suspense

I asked God to teach me patience and He gave me a book to write

36 comments:

  1. I asked God to heal me of Dibeties last night,,,and to heal my body from head to toe...woke up with clear vision this morning..WHAT NEXT GOD...Oh by the way I sent satan straight back to hell while I was at it,,,he is such a looooooser !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I'm happy dancing with you, Pat. So excited for you.

    We share an awesome agent! Congrats to Mary Sue too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayayay for Pat. I'm soooo ridiculously happy. And three books--that's just awesome. :)

    I sort of feel like all of 2012 has been God doing more than I asked or imagined. :) Just an example: This summer I really wanted to buy a new car, but dreaded the hassle of it. I prayed about it, emailed a guy I know who is a car salesman...within a couple weeks, I was driving off in my sporty red car for an awesome price. :) AND, I specifically said to my parents, "Who knows, maybe by the end of the summer God will surprise me with a book contract so I won't even feel guilty about spending this money." Less than two months later, I'd signed with a fabulous agent and been offered a two-book contract. Definitely more than I imagined. Yay for God at work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "So He waited there (all this time) with a watchful eye, with a love that is strong and sure..."

    His Perfect Timing. His Perfect Will.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations and keep on dancing! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Pat!!!!!

    God is amazing! I love the way you only hoped to sell one book, yet His plan was to give your three.

    My second marriage is one way God has provided more than I ever hoped or imagined. (And I have a pretty good imagination!)

    I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, you're right satan is such a loser.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Loree, we share a great agent in Mary Sue! She is the best. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your year has been spectacular, Melissa! Now all we need is if Tebow...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're so right, Cheryl. God is all ways on time, never early (although we'd like that) and never late!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Patrica, I'm still dancing! And trying to figure out the right name to write under. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Roxanne, I'm so happy about your marriage to Steve. He's an awesome guy. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Pat! Thanks for letting us (Byhalia Christian Writers) know. Don't you subscribe to The Write Life? How about sending us something for our subscriber spotlight? We'd love to share your news.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Tracy...I'll do that. And thank you for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love. This. Post.
    Love. It.
    HaPpY dAnCiNg right along with you!!!
    Three is now a favorite number!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats, Pat!! So happy for you. I love hearing stories about how God worked in people's lives, especially in their writing journeys.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Beth. I'm fanning myself right now...just got an email asking if I wanted Pat or Patricia on the contract. Contract...such a beautiful word.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Lindsay. It is really exciting! I know I'll be seeing your publishing story soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw, I love this so much, Pat!!! I'm so happy for you!
    I guess my "more than I asked or imagined" moments came each time I saw the covers of my new books from Zondervan. As authors, we usually have very little or no input on our covers, but I was so blessed to get great covers! Better than I could have even imagined!

    And I am so glad your perseverance paid off! God is so good. He gives good gifts to his children, but sometimes we have to wait! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, you have some of the most beautiful covers ever! And yes, I truly believe God wants to teach His children patience.

      Delete
  20. Thanks, Pat. I'm so thrilled to hear the blow by blow of how the puzzle pieces came together, so fun to LIVE it with you, and to enjoy each next step for you and other writers who are so close.
    I rejoice in Melissa's new car. And I have an idea for her next book. Tim Tebow gets traded to an Iowa team and...(and then he reads the book and comes and checks her out--done deal).
    I know you're having great days (daze).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely in a daze! And it's such fun to share this good news. You'll be writing a post like this in the near future, Dee.

      Delete
  21. I saw this news on Facebook when Melissa announced it. So, so thrilled for you, Pat! I heard you talking to Susie about this after her CE class at ACFW. Oh so fun to see God's hand at work. Excited to get that email from Donna, offering me the chance to review YOUR book! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you being there, Casey. And...gulp. Reviews. Taking a shaky breath here. Go glad I have a Father who will take care of that, too!

      Delete
  22. Congrats Pat! That's awesome :).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you, Katie. So glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations!!! I'm so thrilled for you Pat!!!! Woohoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teri! I am so excited, I still don't know if I'm hanging out or taking in!

      Delete
  25. Congrats again, Pat! I loved reading how you responded to the news. But how strange that you didn't get the original offer email. (Love the photo, too! Twirling with you!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I know, Johnnie. And thanks for all your help on SFTP!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pat, I am stinkin' happy for you. When you told me Friday night, I was sitting in a restaurant with my husband, and it was all I could do not to jump up and shout. I laughed. I cried. Then I laughed AND cried. I know the folks at nearby tables thought I was crazy. My husband just laughed with me, because he knew. God is so amazingly good! He just blows me away. Can't wait to see what He does next.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you, Renee! It was an awesome afternoon and night. And I can't wait until you're sharing the same kind of news!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pat, I'm super thrilled for you!!! Such exciting news! And nothing compares to that first call!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's wonderful to hear this kind of news. Congratulations! What a thrill!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations, PAT!!! I saw this in Publisher's Marketplace yesterday! Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Teary-eyed and smiling ear-to-ear reading how it all played out ~ hadn't heard that yet! :) Soooo happy for you! I think getting to have a seminary education is more than I had ever hoped for :)

    Jenny G.

    ReplyDelete