I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Friends For The Journey



http://www.flickr.com/

Friends For The Journey

My friend and I went for a morning jog the other day and I was discouraged because of the lack of progress on my writing journey.  Its not where I planned to be by this time.  Like miles away! 

And if you didn’t know, planning should be my middle name.  Yep, my parents should have named me Alena “Planner” Auguste. 

Seriously.

When I get this way, I remember King David. 

Check out Psalm 42:5, King James Version, where King David asks himself, 

“Why art thou cast down, O my soul?”

When he needed a friend, God gave him Jonathan.  

What do we do when we ourselves, or our friends are discouraged?  

My friends always seem to get a nudge to help me back on the write track (pun intended).

I’ve been traveling, so it took a little bit for an email, from one of my mentors to catch up to me, but when it did I had to sit and read it over and over.

Psalm 37:34 “Don't be impatient for the Lord to act. Travel steadily along His path. He will honor you, giving you the land.”

It was the reminder, I needed.  Keep going.

God is faithful.

He’s kind enough to give me friends and mentors who stand on the sidelines not allowing me to stop, but encourage me to keep going. Helping me to press on towards the finish.

Most of all, remember as you run this race, He is right beside you.  Whether you are crawling, walking, running or sprinting towards the finish.  The greatest friend of all is right beside you.

By the way, my friend Diane and I finished our run that day, despite almost 100 degree weather, stifling humidity and rolling hills.  Step by step, we finished.  Together. 

How about you?  How do you help your friends stay encouraged?

Blessings,

Alena Tauriainen


16 comments:

  1. Alena - I've been thinking about you since ACFW and can't wait to reconnect. I'm deep in the middle of edits, but when I come up for air we should chat. You'll be at Storycrafter's in two weeks, right? Thanks for this reminder that we're taking this journey one step at a time - with friends - it makes it all the more fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without my writig friends, writing would be a hard row to hoe. When my husband decided to make a garden, he thought 100 foot rows would be great. Don't know if you've ever looked down a 100 foot row or not, but it's a long way to the end on a hot summer day. But when he came alongside me, it was much easier. That's what my writing friends do...come along side and encourage, prod, push...
    Great post, Alena!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Alena. They say this writing journey is a solitary endeavor, but I disagree. I can't imagine getting very far along it without the encouragement of friends. And being able to encourage others in their turn.

    Loved your reference to Psalm 37:34--“Don't be impatient for the Lord to act. Travel steadily along His path. He will honor you, giving you the land.”

    I think I need to make this my writing life verse. Speaking of encouraging, you're one of the best at that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Pat,
    My stepmom is a bountiful gardener. She has an amazing green thumb. I can't imagine spending that much time out in the garden but she does it steadily and loves it. Me, I'll stick to indoor stuff but without my friends encouraging me, well I'd be woefully behind.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Jeanne,
    Psalm 37 is one of my favorites. I was never one of the outgoing kids or the fastest at stuff but God gave me peace one day. He showed me steady plodding (or plotting..hehe) brings success.

    Blessings my friends!
    Alena T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gabrielle -- I can't wait to see you at Storycrafters. Let's plan on visiting! Yes, any journey with friends is so much more fun. I'm a weird female in that I don't like to go shopping, but if I'm shopping with friends its not so bad. :) Lol..I keep telling my hubby how blessed he is because of this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Alena. Your outstanding sons & nephew seen at ACFW are also testimony of your part in producing excellence. Writing friends? Yes, some of the best I've found anywhere to encourage us in the way, sometimes to give us better running shoes, and even go ahead and knock boulders out of the way. Thankfully, by sharing and praying, we become better able to do that for others and we all run faster, reaching our destination sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so thankful for my writing friends, you included!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's nothing like an accountability friend who asks, "what did you write today"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dee -- Thanks so much!
    Yes, I've got my running shoes on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terri.
    You are not joking. When I get those text questions, it really spurs me on. I'm always careful when I ask someone to keep me accountable because my closest friends will not accept excuses. They only accept results.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally understand. I feel that way from time to time. Writing is lonely at times. But I know God gave this to me and he is bringing people around me to help me along the way.

    I'm thankful for my writing friends. Who else can understand the voices?

    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. G....My kids get it too. My youngest asked me if the voices were talking to me! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Late in replying, but you present such truth, Alena. I love how God is always faithful, even when I'm not.

    My friends are such an incredible part of my writing tribe. I can't imagine this career without them. I'm so blessed and incredibly grateful.

    ReplyDelete