I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, October 8, 2012

I Expected Squeals of Joy...


The author, Teri Dawn Smith, is in the back row, center, wearing the red top & dark jacket.

By Teri Dawn Smith

Love often comes slathered with smiles and hugs, but I’ve found out recently that it can also come drenched with tears.

A couple of weeks ago my daughter, Sarah, took me to see my Ponderer friends for the first time since my aneurism.  Susan May Warren threw her annual My Book Therapy Pizza Party on one evening of the American Christian Fiction Writers conference, and the Ponderers came out in full force for a boot-stomping good time. Reba even pinned on a sheriff's badge, and patrolled the party making sure every one obeyed the law of having a good time.

Since I hadn’t seen my Ponderer friends since the nasty brain explosion in November of 2010, I expected hugs and squeals of joy.

And smiles. Lots of smiles.

What did I get?

Tears!

And hugs. Plenty of hugs.

But even more tears.

At the end of the party, we took our officially required Ponderer picture, displayed above.  Afterwards we huddled together for prayer.  The Ponderers cried some more and thanked the Lord for my return to them.

 By the end of the prayer time, my daughter ended up wiping away tears.

Well, phooey on expected squeals of joy. I cried too!

Have you ever cried tears of joy? Or cried when you expected to laugh? I’d like to hear about it.

14 comments:

  1. You are a visible and tangible witness to Gods healing and mercy. It was so good to see you and your lovely daughter.

    Tears or laughter? I'm always prone to share a tear when I see Gods goodness especially in situations when I know the outcome could have been so much worse. But I didn't start doing that until after I had children. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even now I tear up as I remember that night. Tears of joy and thankfulness that you've been restored to us. It was so good to see you and that night is imprinted in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teared up reading your post, Teri. I expected squeals that night, but tears rushed to my eyes at the walking testimony of God's grace and healing touch. I was so thrilled to see you and meet beautiful Sarah.

    I'm a sap--tears are one of my ways of exclaiming joy. The last time I shed tears was after winning the Carol award a couple of weeks ago. But then at ACFW, many tears were shed when I celebrated others' joy and successes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Carol award was a BIG THING, Lisa! Congratulations, again!

      Delete
  4. Teri, how did I miss meeting you at the Pizza Party? I know I'm not a Ponderer, but I feel like I've gotten to know you a little bit on here. You ladies share a beautiful bond.

    I've often cried tears of joy when I expected laughter. Tears usually come when I get a glimpse of God's goodness working in the life of a friend, especially when He's used another person to minister to said friend. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, I do wish I had met you face to face! But thanks for stopping by here so often. We've loved getting to know you. And yes, it does make sense that friends ministering to friends start the tears!

      Delete
  5. I am so, so happy that you were able to attend the Pizza Party, Teri! Just hearing about the Ponderer reunion via Facebook brought tears to my eyes! Happy tears, very happy tears. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, Angela, we would have loved to welcome you into our circle.

      Delete
  6. Alena, you're right. Children make a big difference. I managed to hold it together that night until I saw Sarah cry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was traveling yesterday, Teri, but read this w/ joy today. I don't cry often, but your arrival at the pizza party was the last time I've found myself crying for joy. And Sarah is so sweet. It does feel like we Ps have known each other forever--not just since Susie's seminars began. I'm reading the Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta Jackson. We frankly have that beat. Come to think of it, the previous time I cried for joy was when seeing another Ponderer after a long absence, too. God has really done something special w/ our group.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teri,
    I cried reading your post! It was such a memorable reunion and sooo good to see you strong and healthy! I thank God for all the blessings he has poured out on this group of women...and to think it all started on a rainy October weekend in Minnesota! Hugs to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Teri, you have no idea how it felt to see you again! Thank you, Sarah for bringing her to us. Such a gift to see you all again :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. TERI! I did not go to this years conference but I enjoyed meeting you two years ago at the MBT Voices dinner with Susie May! I am so glad to hear that you got to get together with your Ponderer pals!!! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete