I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, October 26, 2012

Quotables: Thoughts on Straws


Image from freefoto.com
I’ve been feeling little this week. Small and irrelevant, really. I go to work, do my job and go home to be a wife and mom. Then I hit “reset” each night and do it all again the next day. I know feeling this way is a lie to create distance between God and me. Rationally, I know I’m priceless to God (Psalm 139:13-16), He has a plan for my life (Jeremiah 29:11), and doing my best each day honors Him (Colossians 3:17).

I know all this.

But sometimes I need to hear truth presented in a different way to force a fresh perspective. I’m a visual person, and a quote God provided spoke truth to the lie I’ve been struggling with this week.

“The Gulf Stream will flow through a straw provided the straw is aligned to the Gulf Stream, and not at cross purposes with it.” –Anne Lamott, writer

I can relate to a disposable straw. A cheap, red and white striped McDonald’s straw floating through life. Not a lot of power, not a lot of control, either. Flimsy and weak.

Now back the boat up. Did you know the Gulf Stream transports nearly four billion cubic feet of water per second—an amount greater than that carried by all the world’s rivers combined? (http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/gulfstreamspeed.html)

That’s sweep -off-your-flippers-and-snorkel kind of power…

…if you’re lined up.

Perhaps this is the piece that’s shifted out of focus recently. If I’m looking beyond where I’m at now in life to the next thing I want to accomplish, I risk being at cross purposes with God’s power in the now.

Your turn: Has God ever given you a fresh perspective through a quote or a song? What has He been teaching you recently?

-Amy

8 comments:

  1. Amy, beautiful thoughts, as always. I'll be praying for you as you learn how to trust God's purposes for you in this new season of your life.

    Years ago, when I was struggling with understanding significance as I related to God and others, I read a little book by Charles Swindoll called, Intimacy With the Almighty. In it, I was really challenged to consider if God was enough for me. Did I need people to consider me significant or was it enough for me to know that God thinks me significant to Him.

    I have come back to that lesson this week as I again struggle with my significance in the lives of those around me. God renewed His question to me, "Am I enough for you?" I'm choosing to walk in faith knowing that in God's eyes, I have significance because I'm one of His daughters. He delights in me. That is enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeanne, I would appreciate your prayers. I'm going to look up that Charles Swindoll book, that sounds like exactly what I need.

      I'm glad He's been reminding you you are one of his precious kids this week!

      Love you!

      Delete
  2. I appreciates this, Amy, and photos of your well-cared-for daughter's (usually) smiling face is a major affirmation. Often the enemy of our souls overplays his hand and I realize that once again he's tricked me into considering my resources and abilities rather than the Lord's--like Peter looking at the waves instead of at Jesus. Funny thing, the heroine in one of my 2 current WIPs has the same problem but is working through it. Thanks, Ames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee. It's good to remember what is really important.

      Thanks for sharing what you've been learning, funny you are teaching your heroine this as well! :)

      Delete
  3. Ames, I understand. Completely. I feel like I'm treading water most of the time with very little energy to swim to shore. I feel like life is passing me by without me taking time to enjoy it because I'm too busy just surviving from one day to the next. I hate it. It's a joy sucking feeling. I know God is teaching me something through all of this, but I don't know what it is yet. Just holding on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LJ, if you ever need to chat, you know where to find me. Otherwise, you can send me an epic email. :)

    Take a step back and remember what's really important in life and reprioritize. (Says the pot to the kettle). God has big things for you, LJ, don't get bogged down in the little stuff!

    Keep me posted on what God is teaching you. I would love to hear how He encourages and sustains you through the process. I'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really, really love this, Amy. It's so true...the point about being so focused on later or where we want to be versus where we are now...we just plain miss out. I even find myself thinking sometimes, well, God, maybe in a decade I'll be closer to the person you want me to be. But the thing is, he loves me, has a plan for me and is working in me right now...and I want to see that...take joy in it...and learn from what He's doing today.

    Really good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Profound words, Amy. It's hard sometimes when life gets in the way of what we'd really like to be doing. And sometimes we just get overwhelmed. But when we're faithful to do those things we've been given to do, God is faithful. He rewards diligence. I see pictures of you and your husband and beautiful Haley and they always bring a smile to my face. God will do abundantly more than you can think or imagine.

    ReplyDelete