I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Word Fitly Spoken


The MBT Ponderers introduces our guest blogger, Amanda Dykes. She writes Christian historical romance set in the early 20th century and is represented by Wendy Lawton of Books & Such Agency. Please welcome Amanda to our blog today. 


Has it happened to you?

You’re moving through your day, sure you’re hiding that burden so well. Certain not a soul knows the heaviness of your heart. You are in stealth-mode, flying under the radar with your trial, and holding up quite well… on the outside. And then it happens.

Someone says something nice—words that seem molded to the very crevices of your struggle.

And you come unglued.

They couldn’t possibly have known what was going on, how desperately you needed to hear their words. You didn’t even know how desperately you needed to hear them.

I’ve been there (...and maybe it’s only me who comes unglued…). I’ve cherished those words of encouragement. I’ve been astounded at the lifeline God threw me, orchestrated so intimately, in the form of words. And I’ve been grateful for the willingness of the person who spoke, to take the time and say them without even knowing what I was facing.

Today I got to thinking. Who around me is fighting an unseen battle? I don’t know. But God does. Who around me needs just that simple reminder: Hi Friend~ You’re not in this alone. A scripture, a card, an e-mail? I don’t know. But God does. And if we’re willing to listen, He’s willing to lead.

Many of us here have an aching inside us to etch words that make a difference. I wonder what would happen if every one of us determined to pay attention to the people around us today, to pray over our words, and see how they might be used to encourage…

Something remarkable, I’d bet. Won’t you join me in this? Most of you are probably ten steps ahead of me and had already thought to encourage the masses long before you ever clicked over here. In that case, thanks for sticking with this slow-going gal while I got to my point. Still…I can’t help the quickening in my heart when I think of what might happen if we all tuned our souls to God’s leading, let Him bring to our attention the very people who need His hope the most, at this very moment. Words like that… they’re silver and gold, and sometimes even lifelines.

What about you? Have you ever been on the receiving end of “a word fitly spoken”?
 ~*~
Amanda Dykes is a scribbler of blog posts and fiction. She’d love to have you stop by and visit her at www.AmandaDykes.com, where today and tomorrow (February 5-6), she’s hosting a plethora of giveaways at her website “housewarming” party. Authors Beth K. Vogt, Michael K. Reynolds, Joanne Bischof, Sarah Sundin, Melissa K. Norris, Michelle Ule, Catherine West, Olivia Newport, and Kathy Boyd Fellure are hanging out there and giving away books… and Amanda has a very special surprise giveaway as well.


26 comments:

  1. Welcome, Amanda!

    Friends have spoken a "fitly word" and it's blown me away because it was exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks for being our guest today. I'm going to your housewarming party now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind welcome, Roxanne! I'm honored to be your guest, and so glad you'll be mine today, too! :)

      Delete
  2. You describe this so well--thanks. As a teacher, I know that along w/ my red ink comments on student papers it's also important to point out what they've done well. Yesterday a talented writing friend asked some well-placed questions that directed me to better writing clarity, but also put at one point included these two words, "Nice touch." What a blessing & how encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, what a great comparison. This is my first year not teaching in 6 years. One of my favorite things to do when grading essays was to take a highlighter and highlight my favorite sentence. We called it the "golden sentence", and students did it for each other in peer editing as well. (I didn't come up with the idea- it was one I'd heard from another teacher). It was fun for us all to pinpoint our favorites, and fun to read when they got their own back, along with the suggestions for improvement.

      You're so right-- even just two simple words can make all the difference, bolster us to face the things that do need work.

      Delete
    2. I'm so happy to see that you point out what students do well, Delores! I used to do this too. It's important, I think!

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Amanda!
    Your post is such an encouragement to be on alert for a chance to encourage others ... as well as a reason to remember (and be thankful for) those times others have blessed me with a word at just the right moment.
    I'll be spreading the news about your Housewarming Party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, good morning to you, too! YOU have been such an encouragement to me with your kind words and your housewarming party participation.

      You're right, it's such a blessing to remember the times when we've been on the receiving end of encouragement-- makes all the more eager, I think, to be on the lookout for windows of encouragement opportunity.

      Delete
  4. Amanda, thank you for being our guest today!

    I've been on the receiving end of a word fitly spoken more times than I can count. God has placed his angels in my path during those times. Sometimes that smile on my face feels frozen while my heart is breaking. Never fails--God always sends someone to whisper encouragement and offer a hug.

    Thank you for the reminder to be an encouragement to others! Off to your housewarming party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Sometimes that smile on my face feels frozen while my heart is breaking..." Even remembering such seasons we can feel that ache. But you are so right-- WITHOUT FAIL, God provides us the lifeline that we need to keep on going.

      Thanks for having me today, Lisa! You're such a blessing!

      Delete
  5. Amanda, what a beautiful post. Words truly can be life-giving, as your post shows here. I, too, have been on the receiving end of words that touched and soothed the hurts inside. Thanks for the exhortation to be aware of those around me and how I might encourage and speak life to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, you are right. "Words truly can be life-giving." It's amazing to me that of all the limitless things in the world that God could've done, he chose words to communicate his story and love to us. And makes them living and active, whatever season of life we are in.

      Thank you for the encouragement you are! I enjoy running into you often on the Books and Such blog. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, I have. I love when it happens to. It's like God cared enough to send me a message, spoken through a friend. :) Lovely post, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I know that you are often that encouraging friend, Lindsay. You are so warm, so sincere both in your writing and in everything that you are. I know your desire to bless the Lord in all that you do truly blesses others. Thank you, friend!

      Delete
  7. What an awesome post! When I'm at my lowest, God always sends someone to come alongside and encourage me. And like you said, if we listen to Him, He'll play it forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, you've hit on something I so often forget- "if we listen to Him..."

      Sometimes when I am at my lowest, it's *because* I'm not listening to Him. I'm not paying attention to the mighty way He is moving around me. Thank you for the reminder to simply... listen.

      Delete
  8. Hello neighbor!
    What a beautiful post! It was inspiration in itself. I cannot count the number of times God has encouraged me through kind words and actions. Even a fellow Nevadian reaching out to me! :-) Thank you for the reminder that God is truely in control and always has someone by our side to lift us up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie-- I've been just blown away at how God opened the door through Lisa to guest post today, but at also how he used it to bless me with a new friendship... with you!

      Delete
  9. PS--Amanda, your site is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jeanne-- goodness, speak of encouragement! ;)

      Delete
  10. I have had people speak right into my life as if they'd read my mail. Exactly what I needed when I needed it and it always reminds me that God is listening. He loves me. And He's taking care of me. Yay! The housewarming party sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that, Jessica. It's so specific when it happens, you just know it's go God's fingerprints all over it.

      Delete
  11. Amanda I do believe that God has folks here on earth do just that, speak words when needed to someone or maybe do something to help a little or maybe a lot...
    I have enjoyed comments from others today and your blog, thanks so much for sharing.

    Paula O(kyflo130@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, thanks for your kind words! I've been encouraged today, too.

      Delete
  12. Welcome, Amanda! Thanks for the great post and the reminder to give encouraging words! Yes, I've been on the receiving end and such words sing in the heart for a long, long time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Teri, and thanks for the welcome! I agree, those words have a sweet way of sticking around.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, Amanda. One thing I've learned is that if you feel burdened to say something nice (or even "mushy" or unexpected) to someone, do it NOW. Don't put it off. We don't have a promise of the morrow, and I regret times I should've said something and I didn't. And God has certainly sent those words of encouragement to me before. Maybe not as often as I THINK I need them, but they are so valuable when they happen. God bless YOU with your new, lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete