I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pondering Heaven


With two deaths in my extended family recently, I’ve had reason to think about heaven. Pause, for a moment, and consider that word.
Heaven. It seems so far away, so unreachable, and even a bit mysterious. But faith binds The Ponderers together, and one thing we can do is search the Bible to find answers about that mysterious yet glorious place. I’d like to share a few of my discoveries.
Heaven is mentioned in the Bible over 500 times. It ranks up there high in importance, I think. II Corinthians 12:2 gives a surprising comment from the Apostle Paul about a man caught up “to the third heaven.” Third? There’re three heavens?
I suggest that the three heavens are these: 1. The place where the clouds hover and the birds fly. 2. Where the stars and planets exist. 3. God’s dwelling place. I present a few verses to support this.
First heaven– where clouds hover and birds fly. “Sings praises to our God…who covers the heavens with clouds.” Ps. 147:7 & 8
Second heaven  -- where the stars and planets exist. “The heavens are telling of the glory of God; and their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.”
Third heaven -- God’s dwelling place. “The Lord has established His throne in the heavens, and His kingdom rules over all.”
The Bible gives a few more heavenly tidbits:
--God’s word is settled forever in the heavens (Ps. 119:89)
--God has reserved the inheritance of believers in heaven (I Peter 1:4)
--Someday the Lord Himself will descend from heaven to take the believers there. (I Thes. 4:16)
--God has prepared a dwelling place for us there. (John 14:2)
Sir Thomas More once wrote: “Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal.” When I read these passages in the Bible, I’m inclined to believe it.
However, it doesn’t have to be troubles to make us desire heaven. Maybe we’d just like to finally see Jesus.

What about you? Have you learned something else about heaven? What’s got you longing for heaven recently? 

7 comments:

  1. Teri, such a thought provoking post. Something to chew on the rest of the day. Love your scripture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, Pat. And happy "chewing"!

      Delete
  2. Teri,
    Loved the references to the heavens. Amazing, the dwelling place of our Lord!
    I long for the peace I know heaven will provide. Living in perfect harmony with our Father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be above we can ask or think, Alena!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for good solid stuff, Teri. So glad we got to see you in Dallas. We here at DT miss you & send love & will look forward to next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dolores! I've been a mixture of happy and sad every time I read about DT. Happy for all of you there, and so sad I can't be.

      Delete
  4. Really interesting post today, Teri. It actually made me realize how little I actually do think about heaven. It's so easy to just get totally caught up in today, now, this life without remembering there's something so much huger to come. Thanks for the cool reminder!

    ReplyDelete