I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Frasier Contest - Should You or Shouldn't You?


The Frasier Contest is Open!

Are any of you like me?  Wondering if you’re really ready to take the leap – actually enter?  I’ve heard conflicting things about contest entries but am seriously considering the Frasier.  Since I’m so very analytical I wanted to get some input from someone that actually entered. 

So I asked my friend Ginger Takamiya, who not only entered but WON! Way to go Ginger!   I thought you might want to hear (okay "read") what she had to say.

What prompted you to enter?

I entered as a treat to myself. I had put away writing for many months to take care of my mother-in-law who had Alzheimer’s. When she passed away it took me a few months to begin to write again. So as a goal, I decided to enter a couple of contests. When I turned in my entry, I felt I had accomplished my first goal. The second was to final. When Susan May Warren, founder of My Book Therapy (mybooktherapy.com), called with the wonderful news, winning was an afterthought. I had met my goals and I was very proud of myself.

Did the feedback help?

I want to be able to produce the best work possible, so feedback is essential. When I see two judges pointing out the same things, I know I have a problem. Likewise when I see judges pointing out the same good things, I am delighted -- knowing that I have something right. For example, my opening line was a big hit with all of them so I know it's a keeper :).

Did you have a specific takeaway from the judges' comments?

Two judges pointed out my use of a particular verb. I realized then, that I needed to add diversity to“showing action" so I put that one at the top of my list.

How did it feel to win?
It is hard to describe that one. I had told myself that the other finalists were just as good in their writing, why else would they have finaled? So when my name was announced, I almost couldn't feel a thing.

When I got up there, I could think of nothing. I even forgot to thank the Lord (though I have done it a thousand times since).

My best advice, don't psyche yourself out. Allow yourself to feel the excitement, the disappointment and the elation, whichever comes. Take both opportunities to grow and become what our Lord intended you to be.

Are you glad you did it?

Oh mercy, YES! I also entered the Genesis and semi-finaled in that one. Both contests and results had affected me differently. Both caused me to strive to be a better writer. Nothing should ever get in our way of doing that, certainly not disappointment.

Anything else you learned?

Bottom line: Enter. Let that be your first goal.

Thanks Ginger for taking the time to answer these questions!

Here’s a link to the Frasier contest: http://www.mybooktherapy.com/frasier-contest/

What are the reasons you enter a contest?  What did you learn? 

9 comments:

  1. Great interview, Alena. Ginger is so right about the feedback. It's the main reason for entering contests and the Frasier gives the best feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. And it was so good to bwe there & applaud and hug you, Ginger. May you have many more successes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alena and Ginger, thanks so much for kicking off the Frasier blog tour today! Wonderful interview! So proud of you Ginger.

    Entering contests was a wonderful step forward to me--and not really even so much because of the results, but because it was sort of a step in bravery for me. Sending my "baby" out there into the world. But I craved the feedback even as it scared me a litte. :) The Frasier had amazing feedback--detailed and oh-so-helpful. I can't recommend it enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still rejoicing over this win, Ginger! The feedback alone is worth the price of the entry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa,
    That is so where I'm at, even at the rough draft stage. I know I need to and this is the one I'm willing to step out on since I've heard such good things about it!

    G -- It was so awesome to see you win! I still think back to that day in 2009 when we met at Storycrafters!

    Alena T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alena and Ginger--what a great post. I've gotten such great feedback the past two years I've entered. Ginger, it was sooooo exciting to see you win!!! Alena, just do it. The great thing about the Frasier is the judges are encouraging as much as they are helpful in showing writers' strengths and weaknesses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeanne -- Okay my friend -- keep me accountable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so thrilled when Ginger won the Frasier!
    And I still remember entering the first Frasier contest -- and finaling in it.
    When Susie left a message on my voicemail, I kept thinking, "Did she say I did final or I didn't final?"
    Now who calls to say you didn't final?
    The Frasier is an excellent contest to enter because it's real-world -- you are judged on your story, period. No categories, just every writer being judged on story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alena, This is an encouraging post for all who are on the fence about entering contests.

    I was so thrilled when Ginger won the Frasier. She had her priorities straight when she put aside her writing to take care of her family. When the timing was right, she began writing again, and God honored that. I can't wait to see Ginger, another Ponderer, sell her novel!

    ReplyDelete