I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Heavens Declare God’s Glory

By Jennie Atkins

The Psalmist wrote in Ps. 19:1-4:  “The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard.  Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.”

This week we have witnessed three of God’s phenomenon’s in the heavens. First was the meteor explosion over Chelyabinsk Russia, the second being Asteroid 2012 DA14 which passed within 17,200 miles from earth and third, a meteor spotted crossing over the San Francisco skyline.

These events may have doomsday enthusiasts running to stock up on supplies or journalists using phrases like “Meteor Spotted over California has Residents on Edge”.  I however, view them differently.

One of the best things about living in Nevada is the night sky.  On almost any evening, I can step into the darkness and witness the awesome work of God’s hands.  As the Psalmist says, no speech or language is needed to see the glory of God’s hand in motion.  He set the stars in place, he created the earth, the moon, and everything we see around us. 

Romans 1:20 says he left us these things so no man can say, “There is no God.”

With every addition to my Ohio garden, I fell in love with God’s creativity. The variety of flowers from a simple Daisy to the thousands of tiny buds that make up one stem of a lilac amazed me.  The two-tone pink and blue flowers of the Lungwort plant to the deep crimson of a Geranium left me waiting for them to bloom again the next year.  The scent of Monarda filling the air with a spicy mint fragrance to the heavy scent of roses left my senses on overload. God was everywhere.

Now in Nevada I can see him in the mountains, the crystal blue of Lake Tahoe, and the multitude of rabbits, quail, and coyote that traverse our yard. 

So as some panic at the things that occur in the heavens, rest assured God has set the universe in motion with one sweep of his divine hand.

Your turn:  Where is it that you see God the most?

 

 

 

13 comments:

  1. Love this, Jennie. And in some ways, the comparative barrenness of our NV ground makes those few blooms we do get even more thrilling. Thank you for the reminder to consider the Heavens, the works of His hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennie, beautiful picture and a lovely post to remind us of God's paintbrush. I love to see His artistry at work while walking the shores of Sanibel Island, or even looking out my backyard in the autumn when the hillsides explode with hues of gold, crimson and orange. Or even while casting a line with Hubby and watching the pines and maples drape themselves over the hushed waters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also see God most in nature and am comforted by His beautiful presence there. A close runner-up is His presence in friends, also His creation. Thanks for the great post and love the amazing pic you took--I'm glad the asteroid was that far away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous photo, Jennie!

    I've been fortunate enough to visit Niagara Falls, the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone. I've lived near the Gulf of Mexico, in the countryside abounding with stars and now can visit the Atlantic Ocean anytime I'd like to. I also love seeing God in nature and look forward to seeing more of His wondrous sights!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post, Jennie.Whenever I look up at the night sky, lit up with so many stars is when I feel closest to God.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see God most in His word, but I love the many aspects of God's creation already mentioned as well. Thanks for reminding us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda, One of things I love about Nevada is the contrast of the living and the dead...the struggle for life. No matter how harsh the environment, God's glory is there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa,
    One of the things I do miss is the fall colors that we had in Ohio. The mixture of reds, yellows, and rust were amazing and forever imprinted in my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dee,
    That wasn't my picture...believe me I couldn't have been that quick. Yes, I agree that God can be seen in our friends. I have been truly blessed when it comes to that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Roxanne, I too have been to Niagara Falls--several times. It is awesome. I also got to see the Natural Bridge in Virginia and Arches National Park in Utah--both are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pat, I agree. The night sky is awesome. Just think, He placed each and every star with His hands!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Teri, I did a study once on the books of the Bible and where they came from. If you consider the number of authors, the time lapse from the first book to the last, and the fact that it all came together...amazing!

    ReplyDelete