I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pondering Places ~ Jim Rubart

It's the end of summer's lazy days. It's time to get out of vacation-mode, back on a diet, and buckle down to finish that next manuscript. One fun way to get motivated (yet put off working just a wee bit longer) is to see where other authors write.

Somewhere around thirty years ago, I began a Ponderer "column" called Pondering Places. Anyone remember that? Author Deborah Raney showed us the amazing office where she does much of her writing. You can see it here. (Although, you know, she may have changed it since then. It's been that long.)

I decided today is the perfect day to resurrect Pondering Places. Is that all right with you? Today we have the honor of featuring author (and marketing guru) Jim Rubart.

James L. Rubart is the bestselling author of Rooms, Book of Days, The Chair, and the upcoming release Soul's Gate. When he’s not writing, he loves water skiing with his amazing wife and two teenage sons ,as well as dirt biking, and jumping off cliffs. He’s the owner of Barefoot Marketing and lives in the Pacific Northwest. Visit his online home at www.jimrubart.com.

Jim says, "Our house was built in 1988. The style back then was to have a 20 foot ceiling in the entry way. Think of an elevator shaft. For years I walked in my front door and stared up at what I considered wasted space.

 "I thought, 'What an awesome writing room that would make! All I’d need to do is put in a floor.'

"So I did. It’s a secret room I get to through a tiny door in the back of my youngest son’s closest into our attic, then another small door into my haven."

Jenness says, "How awesome is it to have a secret writing room? Somewhere where you can't see the piles of laundry/dishes...and where they can't see you... :-) Love it."

What do YOU like best about Jim's writing space?

13 comments:

  1. Great feature--keep up this topic. I like that it's literally a secret room--hmmm, makes me wonder what writing spot I can create at our farm. Thanks, J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love the yellow! And that chair looks incredibly comfortable. Love it!

    Thanks for resurrecting Ponderer Places, Jenness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun, Jenness. I love the window that gives a glimpse of the green outside. It's a happy looking hidden room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A comfy chair, view outside, lots of books. Add a laptop and what more does a writer need? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenness!

    I agree with MTagg. I love to see where others write. My favorite spot about Jim's room? It's hidden. You can't see the dirty dishes, laundry or messy living room ...out of sight out of mind.

    Love it!

    Alena T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that its hidden, and from his description it seems to be not easily accessible, which keeps random visitors from popping in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the consensus is...it's hidden. I love that about it as well. And once in it, you have to go to a lot of trouble to leave it. Great post, Jenness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree about the hidden aspect, but I also love that long window!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the window, too. A nice view to the outside.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice spot! And so cheery! I love the window but would add a blind to pull down at nap-time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun space! Nothing like a secret room to keep the creative juices flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't help but think how great it would be to have surround sound in there. :-) A hidden room, surrounded by the soundtrack for your current WIP, a comfy chair, and a good view. Yeah, that's a great room. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks all! Yeah it's a great place to write. When my boys were younger I told the they couldn't come in unless there was a fire or blood. So I was I undisturbed most of the time.

    ReplyDelete