I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, August 31, 2012

Staring Brilliance in the Eye



You stare at the blank page, brain ticking, fidgeting and fumbling with the keyboard.

You hope that within the next moment, something brilliant will come across your mind. 


Five minutes pass, then ten. You think, something better happen soon ‘cause Facebook is calling. Come on brain, you can do this. Wow me!

The truth is, we all want to be brilliant. As Christians, we want to be brilliant spiritually as well. We want our words to so impact someone’s life that they believe that our words came directly from the throne room to their ears.

Here’s where you think I’m going to chastise you for thinking like that.

In some ways, I am.

We all have lived long enough to know, it is not about us, it is about HIM.
That’s true. But…

It’s about us too.

It’s okay to want people’s lives to change because of something we have written. In fact, we should expect it. (God is in our lives and that’s going to spill out into everything we do.)

What’s not okay is to focus on that. To strain and fidget and bawl and fight until our words are everything we dreamed they would be. Writing IS hard. It IS work and we do not belittle what it takes to pour our blood upon the pages. It is right that we should be poured out.

It is not right that we be poured out so we can be brilliant. It is right to be poured out because HE his worthy. His will supersedes my will. His glory must be my focus.

Lee Strobel once told this story at a writer's conference I attended. It's not verbatim but the gist is there.

Two angels are called into the throne room and give assignments to go to the earth and work helping the people they were sent to. One angel was sent to live in opulence in a palace and help the great leader of the house. The other was sent to the gutters to help the poor and destitute. The thing is, neither angel cared which assignment he got, they both just wanted to do the will of the Father. 

Okay so that was completely miniaturized, but the point stands. HIS will, prevails.

If we do His will and seek His glory, we cannot help but be brilliant because it is Christ that will flow through us, untainted by our ego.

The Bible tells us: Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. (Galations 5:25)

Go be brilliant today.

9 comments:

  1. Seeking His will and His glory today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such incredible words of wisdom, G! Loved the thoughts you shared. It's so easy to get caught up in the "it's all about me" mindset that society seems to embrace, but surrendering the "me" to God to become a "we" helps us to live healthier lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being brilliant also means letting our light shine and not hiding it under a bushel--being vulnerable, taking the risk to depend on God, do our best, get our work out there, and let it be critiqued. Good work, Gingersnap! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great words, Ginger. Encouraging and exhorting. Thanks for the reminder where my focus should be. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ginger! Sometimes I struggle to make sure I'm doing everything right, I forget its "Him" not me.

    Staying on my knees, accomplishes so much more!
    Blessings!
    Alena T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Ginger, just beautiful. It is all about Him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very timely, Ginger! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, ladies.

    Dee, soooo true.

    LJ,
    "Surrendering the "me" to God..." Loved those words. Thank you!

    Alena,
    "Staying on my knees, accomplishes so much more!" Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Ginger for the encouragement. Sometimes it is just so hard to sit down and write. But if we, er, I keep in mind who I am writing for it changes everything!
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete