I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, August 24, 2012

Fun with Fiction Quotes

Photo credit: stock.xchang
~Melissa Tagg

I'll admit: Every once in awhile a girl just runs out of legit things to say.

Key word: Legit. 'Cause don't get me wrong, I can ramble with the best of them.

But Fridays are "fiction days" here at the MBT Ponderers, and since brilliant thought seems to have escaped me for the moment, I thought I'd steal from others' thoughts. Thank you, Google.

A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction. ~Oscar Wilde
My makeup stash fully agrees.

A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction. ~Virginia Woolf 
Amen, sister. I've got the room, but I'm not so sure about the money. I haven't gotten brave enough to pull a bank job yet. Or propose to a wealthy man.

I read the newspapers avidly. It is my one form of continuous fiction. ~Aneurin Bevan 

I object! I have to. I'm a former newspaper reporter.

Truth is so hard to tell, it sometimes needs fiction to make it plausible. ~Francis Bacon 

And this is why I love stories so much. A compelling story can convey truth in an amazing way.

Fiction is about intimacy with characters, events, places. ~Robert Morgan 

I love this because it's exactly the experience I hope readers have with my stories--intimacy. A closeness, a relationship.

Basically, fiction is people. You can't write fiction about ideas. ~Theodore Sturgeon 

This one made me think. Ponder, if you will. :) And I think I agree. Great fiction may spur ideas, it may build new thoughts and even inspire dreams, but people make the story...people are the depth...people, both the reader and characters, they breath life into the story.

Fiction is the truth inside the lie. ~Stephen King
And this is my favorite. 


Any of these quotes stand out to you? What do you think of that last one? Do you know any other great quotes about fiction?

Melissa Tagg
www.melissatagg.com

17 comments:

  1. I agree that last one has punch. This one also struck me: Truth is so hard to tell, it sometimes needs fiction to make it plausible. ~Francis Bacon

    Fun quote day today!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun, MTagg, thanks. I collect such quotes to but I'm saving for our MN Chris. Writers Guild kick-off mtg. in 2 weeks. What amazes me about fiction is its restrictions--there are so many fascinating true-life situations that are judged unbelievable enough to be the stuff of fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen King has it right. And it's the only way to get the truth across to some people.

    Great post, Melissa. I love your quirky sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, Wendy! I like it when other people say profound things... :)

    So true, Dee. There's another quote, by Mark Twain I think, that says something like, "Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to be believable." :)

    Yep, I agree with Stephen King, too, Pat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, great post today. You are creative enough to post something good, even when your brain isn't cooperating. I'm impressed. :)

    I think the quote that stood out to me the most was the one by Theodore Sturgeon: "Basically, fiction is people. You can't write fiction about ideas." His thoughts, and yours, resonated with me.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, Jeanne. I thought and thought and thought trying to come up with something to say today. I'm glad I could steal from other people. :)

      That quote is really thought-provoking, isn't it? It's easy to think, "I have this message I want to convey to people, so I'll write a story." But I think readers see through that. If we focus instead on people--our characters, our readers--our stories are just as likely to convey an idea or truth, but in a much more compelling way...I think... :)

      Delete
    2. This is the one that made me pause, too. It's worth remembering as we create our characters and allow them room to grow.

      Thanks, Melissa. I collect quotes so loved the post.

      Delete
    3. Cool, Johnnie! If you Google "fiction quotes" you'll find tons more that I didn't include. :)

      Delete
  6. I think the first one is hilarious. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Fiction is people". That says it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh, I love these quotes. Maybe we should do a quote day more often. That's really fun! I don't know if I can pick a favorite, but I like the fiction is about people, not ideas, too. People and characters are what invest me in fiction. Not the concepts and truths behind the characters. I love reading a good story first and foremost! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree--gotta have that good story with awesome characters. Otherwise, no matter what the message is, it just comes off sort of lame. Hehehe...

      I like the idea of having a quote day more often! :)

      Delete
  9. Oh, you've made me happy today, Melissa! I love quotes, you know I do! More to add to my stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I totally thought of you when I put it together. :)

      Delete
  10. This one is my favorite:
    Basically, fiction is people. You can't write fiction about ideas. ~Theodore Sturgeon

    I'm such a character-driven author. I can have a great idea, but I need three-dimensional characters to work the idea into a story.

    ReplyDelete