I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, July 16, 2012

Would You Be Ready?


Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:18-20

Twice this week I’ve been asked if I have my passport ready. And I’m sad to say I do not. I did not even know I could apply for a passport on line until I wrote this blog.

The first time I was asked, it was by the singing group, No Other Name. Their songLead Me To The Cross” was chosen by the Southern Baptist International Mission Board to promote missions to Northern Africa and the Middle East. During the concert they asked a question I haven’t been able to get out of my mind.

“What would it mean to you if someone traveled around the world to tell you how much Jesus loves you?” Because I've always known about Jesus, I can't even imagine a life devoid of Him. But so many people have never heard His name even.

No Other Name doesn’t just give lip service to the Great Commission—they follow it up by organizing mission trips to different parts of the world. They even have passport applications on the table with their CDs.

The second time I was asked, it was by two people from my church who had just returned from a mission trip to Tanzania. Their description of the people and the living condition of the people in that part of the world shook me out of my complacency. In the village where they went as medical missionaries, one well supplies water for about five thousand people.

But I’m too old…or too young…or too…our excuses go on, don’t they? Mine do. One might be too young, but how old is too old? I have a friend who took her first mission trip to the Philippines when she was 76. And our very own Ponderer Delores Topliff has been on mission trips to the Philippines three times, Mexico, Israel, and South Korea…and to a tributary of the Amazon where Colombia, Peru & Ecuador meet.

I know we all can’t go halfway across the world to be witnesses for Jesus, and maybe God hasn’t called you to a foreign mission field, but He might. Would you be ready?

Pat Trainum writing as P. T. Bradley
http://www.ptbradley.com/http://mbtponderers.blogspot.com/@PTBradley12012 Romantic Suspense Genesis Finalist
I asked God to teach me patience and He gave me a book to write


18 comments:

  1. I do have my passport, but I think it expires next year. Eek! Probably I should plan a fun trip so I'll have an excuse to update it.

    But seriously, mission trips are wonderful, and I think it IS awesome to be prepared to do the unexpected when we're following Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Melissa, it is awesome when we're prepared for God's side trips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I appreciate this post--mission trips inspire and strengthen those going at least as much as those we go to. Yes, get your passport, Pat. I think you're going to need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh. Ouch. Conviction. I'm hanging my head as I admit my passport expired two years ago. Sigh. I really need to get my new one.

    I appreciate your thoughts about being available to do the things God gives me to do, especially when it comes to sharing about him. Though he may not call me to go overseas (I've done this in the past), I can be available to share Jesus in my city as he leads me to people. The question for myself is, will I make myself willing and available to be used for him wherever I am.

    Thanks for your thoughts today, Pat! You've made me think. Oh yes, and I'll go print out my passport application, probably today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I too am convicted. Be sure and ask me in a day or too if I started the process, Jeanne!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, here is a link to the mission trip to Tanzania. http://annabecoming.blogspot.com/2012/07/hang-on-its-going-to-be-bumpy-ride.html?showComment=1342448803293#c4217875788149300687

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a valid passport but now that I'm married, I need a new one. Several years ago, I took two of my sons to a poor village in Mexico. Thanks for the prompt from your post, I think it's time to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My passport is also expired and I wish I hadn't let it lapse. Who knows what amazing adventures God has in store for any of us? I'd love overseas travel, both for missions and research, to be in His plan for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay Roxanne and Johnnie, ya'll need to go with me to the PO and get those passports in order! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post, Pat!! I didn't get to hear No Other Name, so that's so neat to hear that they do that. You stay on mission with God, but maybe He is getting you ready for something new! :)

    Have a great day! Jenny G.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pat, this is so funny that you posted this. Our family just got our passports for the first time this month. We are planning a trip to Europe next year among our fellow sister churches etc.
    We know God is calling us to go do this and at least one son has been preparing for this for a long time, by learning languages that will help make things easier for us (I only know a little Japanese and that wont do much good in Russia).

    So to answer your question, Yes. We are ready. And I look forward to what God has for my kids especially on this trip.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great reminder, Pat! I lived as a missionary in Bolivia for about 10 years. We adopted our 3 precious children from there. Afterwards we work across the border in Mexico for another 20 years. I have many stories of the Lord's faithfulness to us during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post Melissa. I just got back from a mission trip to Slovakia.

    I often tell Christians I know to try a short term mission trip. It's the BEST way to get your focus off yourself and your circumstances and on Christ again.

    Blessings!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Jenny, I hate you missed No Other Name. They have the best harmony. And their witness is awesome. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ginger, I'm so excited for you. You don't have to know a foreign language...people will hear your heart! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Teri, I knew you'd been a missionary, but didn't realize you stayed in Bolivia for 10 years! That is great! I know many came to know Jesus through your sweet spirit and love.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much, Ruth for stopping by. I am always amazed at people who go to places like Slovakia. And yes, a short missionary trip would probably be advisable for me. I've done quite a few mission trips here in the States, and kindasorta thinking about one to Quito. Have friends who are missionaries there and my church usually sends a group every year.

    ReplyDelete