I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

God bless America! It's Jenness here, hoping you get to enjoy time with family and friends today to celebrate Independence Day! Don't you just love summer?

Most of the time I do. But one early summer years ago, I was depressed, stressed out, and way too busy. I couldn’t figure out what was wrong, but something needed to change. Then along came a girls’ night out. I don’t even remember what we did—nothing special or expensive or adventurous. But the next day, I do know I felt like I could breathe again. Finances were still tight, and I still had too much on my plate, but an evening with my friends helped lift the load. I could see the silver lining again.

Sometimes a phone call will do the trick. Sometimes a fun email or online chat with one of my amazing writing buddies. But sometimes girls just gotta have fun. J If you’re feeling a little over your head this summer, maybe it’s time to schedule in some girl time. I doubt you need ideas, but just in case--and because I love lists--here are ten things you could do.   
1. Go to a new restaurant together. Pick one that’s fun and different—hibachi, or tiki hut style, or a hole-in-the-wall family-run Italian place. Even if the food’s bad, you’ll have fun making memories.

2. Watch an old favorite movie together and quote it or sing along. Ever After and Princess Bride are a couple that come to mind that come loaded with lots of high school slumber party memories.

3. Do a popcorn or lemonade bar or something light and fun that your steak-and-potatoes husband would never go for. (Look on pinterest for ideas, if you have no idea what I mean. Lol) My friends and I did a crepe bar once. The hostess made the crepes and everyone brought toppings to put on them—bananas and nutella, strawberries and cool whip, etc.

4. Start a once-a-month (or more) tradition. My bestie and I often go yard saling on Saturday mornings with her mom (also a good friend). We try to wake up, laugh, haggle (or get scolded by her mom the pro for not haggling), compare purchases, and most importantly, grab a McDonald’s sweet tea and sausage burrito halfway through the trip.

5. Nothing new here, but go grab something at Starbucks and sit outside to chat. It doesn’t have to take a lot of time, doesn’t cost much, and can really lead to some great conversations.

6. Do a photo shoot. It’d be a great time to go to whatever scenic places are in your area, find out what kind of poses work for you without the pressure of having an actual paid photographer, goof off together, and maybe finally get a couple of good shots to put in those empty frames you’ve never gotten around to filling that are hanging around your house. (Yes, I have some of those empty ones. But the frames are so pretty! J)

7. Go shopping together. Again, this is a no-brainer. Except a recent shopping trip with friends ended up with something new for me. I don’t have any sisters and am usually a loner when it comes to shopping. But four of us went to a quiet shop and ended up taking over the dressing room area—modeling for each other, giggling, giving opinions, talking each other into purchasing too much, and just having a great time.

8. Have a spa night. Nothing expensive. Everyone can pool together their pampering items and just hang out while listening to relaxing music while soaking their feet in whatever water-tight containers you can round up.  

9. Craft! One of my friends has voted for this to be our next girls-night-in event. She hasn’t quite convinced the rest of us that this would actually be a stress relief and not the total opposite. J But if you’re a crafty group, this is a great idea.

10. Make a home video. This one might be a little much, but it produces hysterical results. I’ve done this twice. Once when traveling for a summer with three other girls. The other time was in college when a good friend moved out of state. My bestie and I made a crazy movie to send her. We still quote from it occasionally. (But no, I will not post it. Ever.)

So there you go. Now it’s your turn! What ideas would you add to the list?

8 comments:

  1. I love my girl time! My group of girlfriends and I call ourselves the Coffee Girls because we came together over coffee.

    Last weekend, we met and went to the zoo, ate ice cream on the beach and laughed. Nothing like laughter with good friends to send your spirits soaring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love your ideas Jenness! And the fact that they are low cost. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the zoo! I love the zoo! :-) Sounds like fun, Lisa.

    Paula, that's helpful, for sure. With good friends, you don't need to spend much, if anything, to have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, I loved your drawing-a-prayer-bead reports but missed this good blog. Yes, great for all the above, & many of these also work for the special-things-to-do-with grandkids list.
    Thanks and full steam ahead on what God's put in you heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the ideas. Think a spa night for the coffee girls needs to go on our bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes my friend and I take off for the Natchez Trace (where the speed limit is 50) and just meander up it, stopping at the historical sites and letting our writer minds go to town.

    Great post and suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 11. Get together with friends who share your dream/passion.

    For me, brainstorming with other writers is great fun and fills my tank for some girl time.

    Once, we were in a restaurant trying to figure out the best way a suspense writer could kill her character. Got a lot of raised eyebrows from the wait staff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss my girl time. Having moved away, it has really bothered me. But then again...I get to start new traditions with new friends!

    ReplyDelete