I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, July 20, 2012

My Kids Made Me Cry Today


Warning: this blog gets a bit personal, so if you hate such things, see you again on the next post.

Don’t let these smiling faces of my kids fool you. They can make a grown lady cry!

I felt a bit blue today wondering if I would ever be able to write again. As many of you know, I had a brain aneurism over a year ago which left me with short-term memory issues. (I prefer to think of it as a brain explosion since that makes it sound like perhaps I got more brains instead of fewer.)

During my pity party, I thought of the great Love Chapter in the Bible that speaks of the gift of prophecy and knowing all mysteries and all knowledge, and having the faith to move mountains. It speaks of faith, hope, and love, but concludes with these words: “the greatest of these is love.”

Suddenly it hit me that even if I could never continue my dream to write, I can still do the greatest thing in the world: love. I felt so cheered about this that I sent a text to my three kids telling them that I can still love.

Here’s what they sent back to me:

Sarah: “Yay! And you can still write too. Maybe not at the speed you wanted to but you can do it. I’ll help you.” (Wow, how fun is that? Writing with my daughter!)

Thomas: “Mom, you can still write! Will take a little more work and focus but you can still do it.” (I told him of Sarah’s offer to help, and he texted again.) “Yes, and the best is that the Lord will help you.” (Is this great kid really mine?!)

Danny: “You can write too! I read your Ponderer’s messages, and they are great!”

I never knew my son read this blog! (Winking and waving at you now, Danny.)

These great responses from my kids left me teary-eyed and encouraged. What can I do?

Well, excuse me while I go and dust off that manuscript!

17 comments:

  1. Awww, Teri.

    That is truly a blessing. Those moments when you realize how truly blessed you are.

    My mom died when I was a baby, so I cherish the moments with my children.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Teri, that is so sweet. Yay for your supportive kids. I love your posts here and I'm so excited that you're diving back into writing. I'm echoing your kids in saying you can do it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teri, you have a fabulous family! Their love and support shines through in their words and actions. I remember Sarah's updates while you were sick and hospitalized. I love how supportive they are of your writing dream and want to work with you to make it happen.

    When my first book came out, I gave copies to my hubby and two sons. My older son took it back to school with him. A few days later, I received a text saying my writing was amazing, my publisher was lucky to have me, he enjoyed my book and he was so proud of me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teri,

    The greatest story is your life. How you've lived so far, what you're doing now. You've got lots of stories to tell.

    Not only do your kids believe in you and want to help, the rest of the Ponderers do too!

    I can't wait to read those stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Alena, you know in a very special way how to treasure the moments with your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Melissa, for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool, Lisa, that your son read your book and loved it. And he's right...your publisher is blessed to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And Roxanne, thanks for echoing the confidence of my children!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Teri, your blog posts are evidence you still "have" it!! I know you can do it. You've come so far from 2 years ago. And Roxane's right, the Ponderers want to help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teri, your post made me cry. You have obviously loved your children well (and continue to!).

    For what it's worth, I love your posts here. They're real and practical--two things I love. Looking forward to reading more by you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, thanks, Jeanne! And my children make it easy for me to love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your kids are awesome, and I agree with them one-hundred percent. You can still write, Miss Teri!

    I know God has a great plan in store for you--one that includes hope and a future. Over the years, you've planted seeds of love & encouragement in the lives of countless people, and I know in time you will reap a harvest of joy.

    Psalm 37:4 <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, thanks Angela! I look forward to your next book too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If GOD is for us who can be against us?? God also gave you a beatiful family that loves you and prays for you often!!! Glad you had a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wanted you to know we love you ain't Teri!
      Diana gresser

      Delete
  15. I was on road w/o internet so missed this--glad I tuned in. You & the kids you raised are treasures, gifts to the world. Anything you write will ooze love, fun, and be spectacular. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete