I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Sisterhood of Friendship


Lisa JordanI have a friend I've known for 40 years. I met her when I was about three years old, but I don't remember our first meeting. I do, however, remember how she impacted my life. 

Our birthdays are two days apart, so we shared parties when we were younger. We had similar interests like playing with our Barbies. We had our differences--she doesn't mind snakes while I'm freaked out by them. Some of our fondest memories are spending so much time at my grandparents' farm down the road from my home.

As we grew older, we created our own circles of friends, but continued to remain close. I cried when she got engaged on my birthday and rejoiced with news of her first pregnancy. She knows some of my darkest secrets, spent time in the pit with me, and extended a hand of grace to help me out. And still loves me. My friend has grieved with me, fought with me, laughed with me and rejoiced with me. She understands me like no one else does.

My friend is my sister Lynn. 

Lynn and I look nothing alike. She's petite with dark hair while I'm curvy with lighter hair. During the summer, she browns like a biscuit. I sizzle like bacon. 

Despite our physical differences, we have many commonalities. We value faith, family and the importance of being a voice for those who can't speak for themselves. 

Lynn is one of the greatest women I know. Not just because we're related, but because of who she is. 

She is an amazing mother. Fifteen years ago, God blessed our family with Lilly, my precious niece who has special needs. Lynn's world revolves around her daughter and ensuring Lilly has the best care and education. She refuses to settle. 

Her petite frame possesses a crusader's heart. When her teaching position was eliminated last year due to budget cuts in our district, she sobbed--not for her job, but for the kids who could potentially fall between the cracks...those whose voices may not have had an opportunity to be heard. Thank God, she remains in the same school, but in a more permanent classroom. Her students adore her because she listens and makes them feel important. 

She is a woman of God who embraces her role to be the salt and the light in dark places. She empowers others to live up to their potential. She mentors women, young and older, to accept the gift of God's grace unconditionally. 

When God opened the door to my publishing career, Lynn was one of the first I told. She squealed with me, cried while reading my novels and continues to support my dream. 

After writing LakesideFamily, I told Lynn I had dedicated the book to Lilly, my niece. I didn't tell Lynn I had dedicated it to her also. She is my hero. When I grow up, I want to be like her. 

Sisters function as safety nets in a chaotic world simply by being there for each other. ~Carol Saline

Your turn: Do you have a sibling who is also a close friend? If you don't have a sister, do you have a friend whose bond is like that of a sister? How does your friendship bring out the best in you?

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful, and how neat that you have points of appearing opposite that really just permit solid complementarity. My two sons are like that, enough different in appearance that many don't believe they're brothers--yet there's a deep unshakable center core oneness between them that often doesn't even require spoken words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Lisa! I love it that you're so different and yet so close!

    I do indeed have a friend who is like a sister! Since I grew up with 3 brothers and no sisters, my mother saw to it that I got plenty of paper doll time with my dear friend, Becky. She's still like a sister to me through all the ups and downs of life. Interestingly, she now lives within walking distance, and we take walks together several times a week where we talk about faith, family, and friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fraternal twin daughters don't look like they're related but they are the best of friends.

    I have a dear sister, Jeannie, and a few close friends whom I love like sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post, LJ. Yes, my sisters are two of my very closest friends. Amy is the one I call when I need to talk--and talk, we do...for hours! Nicole is the one I have a million inside jokes with. I might be ten years older than her, but it rarely feels like it when we're crying with laughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your post, Lisa! You brought tears to my eyes with your words. :) What a blessing it is to share life with a sister, especially one who shares the common bond of Jesus with you! My sisters and I are varying degrees of close, we fight, we love, we encourage.

    Thanks for sharing your story today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post, Lisa. Your sister is very blessed with a wonderful friend. My sister and I are closer since we're grown...I was 4 1/2 years older and quite the tomboy while she liked to play with dolls. She also lives 4 hours away. Last year we spent a week together in Destin and enjoyed the time together.

    ReplyDelete