I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Writers Need Hobbies!

by Lisa Jordan

If you walked in my attic, you'd probably freak out a little and want to submit it for an episode of Hoarders. 

I don't have a problem, unless you count lack of time to clean and organize the boxes and totes. It's a disaster up there with totes of crafting supplies. I've done almost all of it--sewing, counted cross-stitch, crocheting, scrapbooking & stamping, crocheting and knitting.

In my spare time, I love to stamp and make cards. Papers and stamps and inks...oh my!

Every writer needs a hobby other than writing. I no longer consider writing a hobby. Now it's a career. Since I am a stay-at-home-work-at-home mother already, I'm juggling two careers with family, friends, church, and life obligations.

So when in the world do we have time for a hobby?? 

Well, I schedule time to craft with friends on a regular basis. I need the downtime to recharge my batteries. 

Sometimes, I'll put in a movie, then make a stack of cards while being entertained at the same time. Stamping relaxes me. It allows me to focus on something other than my growing to-do list. I've even used that time to brainstorm plot points in my novels. 

Whether you work at home or outside the home, you need a hobby. Hobbies aren't limited to things like knitting or scrapbooking. Hobbies can be physical too--running, hiking, bird watching, miming in the park--whatever makes your heart happy...but keep it legal.

Hobbies allow you to express yourself in creative ways to be in touch with both sides of your brain. Hobbies allow you to de-stress in a positive, tangible way. Hobbies allow you to have time for yourself when others demand so much from you.

If you don't have a hobby, think about what you enjoy, and then consider trying that. You're never too old to learn!


Your turn: What do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

11 comments:

  1. Oh, my. I just finished making a bunch of cards to take to ACFW! I have done all of the above...when I'm not writing I have to keep my hands busy. They just need to be moving...so I have a dozen crocheted dish rags in the closet, scrapbooked pages and cards all over the place and I just downloaded some background tapes to sing with - just to keep in shape.
    I think your cards are prettier than mine :(.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I would love to see your cards. I'm sure they're gorgeous. Be sure to find me while at ACFW and we can talk stamping. :)

      Delete
  2. When I can, I refinish antiques. I put on that vapour mask, grab the chemicals and tools and become the woman Martha Stewart always wanted to be. I take great joy in taking a broken down piece and restoring it to it's former glory. It's almost a metaphor for our relationship with God. Pain, hard work and then, ta-dah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, my heroine in the book I just submitted to my editor restores discarded furniture to give it value again. It's a metaphor for her life. I have several pieces in my basement waiting for me to make over, including a gorgeous highboy dresser I bought for $8. God is all about restoring us because He sees us as valuable no matter what state we are in.

      Delete
  3. Lisa, What cute photos! I love receiving one of your hand-made cards.

    I've been a life-long reader. When I was homeschooling, I also began writing occasionally as a hobby. For one year, all my free time was spent falling in love via a long-distance relationship. :-) Since I'm writing more, after Bible study, exercise, household chores, and daily homework with my little guy, there's little time for another pursuit. I don't know how you manage everything! But an outlet would be fun. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxanne, you have a crazy busy life. Even if you don't have a hobby right now, just make sure you're taking time for yourself!

      Delete
  4. They look so great, Lisa! I'm afraid mine would turn out second class. But it's sure fun to receive a handmade card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teri. Years of practice. When I first started, my cards were UGLY. I love sharing them with special friends. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the reminder to take time for this. I bought a Cricut in June and have only plugged it in. I havent made anything yet, and my friends think i am nuts! I work too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, you can do so much with your Cricut. Be sure to go to www.cricut.com and check out their message board. Lots of ideas posted there.

      Delete
  6. I love your cards! In my spare time...all right, get up off the floor...I like to make clay pots and vases and jewelry and I like to knit. Great post and sorry I'm a day late!

    ReplyDelete