I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

All Creatures Great and Small-and what it has to do with writing



By Jennie Atkins

I recently had the opportunity to check off one of the items on my bucket list—not that I’m planning on kicking it any time soon. But ever since I can remember my husband and I have wanted to travel to Alaska.    

This month we were finally able to achieve our dream.

Although it rained every day we were there and Denali lay hidden in a shroud of clouds, we still saw a great deal of what makes Alaska great.  Mostly the animals that live in our most remote state.  We got to watch a Bull Moose dash across a four-lane highway in front of us in no more than three strides. We saw a mountain goat perched on a rocky ledge high above our heads and Sea Otters float by our boat (shown above).

We watched birds of all kinds grace the skies from the great Bald Eagle to the Tufted Puffin. And we stood in awe as pod of Orca whales (killer whales) breached into the air.

There in the place individuals once referred to as Seward’s folly or Seward’s Icebox, it was evident that God had not taken his creation lightly. I was amazed at the beauty around me.  It left me humbled at God’s infinite love and wisdom.

It also left me with the question: If God spent so much time and creativity on each of the animals I saw in that distant land, how much more had he spent on we, his children? He knew all of us, before we were born.  He created each of us with talents, with a special personality, and all in his image.

And now as a struggle to plot out my next book, wishing I could write like other authors I admire (the list is too long to mention for fear I would miss someone), I realize God made me different.  As unique as the Harbor Seal is to the throng of Sea Lions my husband and I watched lazily sleeping away the day on a rock jutting out from the water, so am I.

God made me different.  God made me unique.  He made my story unique as well.  I will never write like other well-known authors, but it doesn’t mean my story is less important or written with lesser quality.  It’s just mine.  I tell it in my way, in a manner that God has planted deep in my soul.

10 comments:

  1. Jennie! My honey and I have wanted to see Alaska too. I'm so glad you had the opportunity. And I'm so grateful for the reminder that God has created me uniquely and differently than anyone else on the planet. His plans for me are unique according to how He made me. And that includes my stories, and my writing journey. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything in me responds to the beauty God has tucked into wild places like Alaska, and I'm so glad you extended application to the unique scenery and beauty God gives to each of us to exercise as we explore and partner with him. Hmmm, I wonder what He sees as the equivalent of orcas and otters in my writing--I actually think I'm beginning to hear some answers. Thanks, Jennie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see Alaska!! And yes, He created each of us uniquely. If we always compare ourselves to someone else, one of two things will happen...either we'll be filled with pride because we think we're better than someone else or we'll be depressed because we feel we fall so short of what the other person is. So, if we can but learn to be content with the way God made us, we will be happy. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see Alaska!! And yes, He created each of us uniquely. If we always compare ourselves to someone else, one of two things will happen...either we'll be filled with pride because we think we're better than someone else or we'll be depressed because we feel we fall so short of what the other person is. So, if we can but learn to be content with the way God made us, we will be happy. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennie, God has given you a unique voice to tell stories, and I can't wait to read them! Thanks for the reminder that each of us has a unique way of telling stories.

    For what it's worth, otters are my favorite animal, so this picture made me smile. :-)

    This is a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanne, I hope you made it there. Even in the rain it was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dee, I am always amazed at God's creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Pat, you are so right! I believe this post was as much for me as anyone else, because I can always get caught in the pendulum of trying to compare myself to others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Roxanne, He was so cute! I like the way he just floated along, his arms crossed over his belly! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a neat and encouraging thought, Jennie. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete