I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Time to Laugh


Wait a minute.  A time to laugh? That’s not in the Bible is it? Doesn't the Bible have only serious topics like heaven and hell?  

True enough, there’s plenty about those topics in the Bible, but it does say there’s a time to laugh. (See Ecclesiastes 3:4.)

It makes sense that the God who created us with the ability to laugh would let us know there’s a time for it. And whoever said that God doesn’t have a sense of humor never considered the platypus. Seriously. What an animal!

Not everyone laughs at the same type of joke. One of my sons likes what I consider to be corny jokes. Something like this:

What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter? (Pumpkin Pi)

Why is there no gambling in Africa? (Too many cheetahs)

What do you call a pig who does karate? (A pork chop)

I always liked the old joke about the enlightened man who told the boy that there were no real miracles. The boy said, “What about the time God opened up the waves of the Red Sea and let the whole nation of Israel right through the middle?” The man said that could be easily explained because many scholars said the Red Sea was only 10 inches deep.”  The boy exclaimed, “Wow! That is an even bigger miracle! God drowned the whole Egyptian army in 10 inches of water!”

Here’s some more web sites that have Christian based humor.





This one’s not Christian-based humor, but rather some conservative chicks using humor to make political points. http://www.chicksontheright.com

What about you? What kind of humor tickles your funny bone? Have you ever used humor to make a serious point? What place does it have in your life? Or please, please tell me your favorite joke!


9 comments:

  1. Dear Teri, Thanks for this good fun. I hadn't heard of most of these will enjoy. I was driving all day yesterday from Manitoba thru N. Dakota back home & didn't have internet, & sorry this didn't get more comments, but I'll tout it now. We appreciate you, Teri--Many blessings your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all about quick wit. This is what it looks like in my house:
    Son #1: get that cat out of here. I hate cats.
    Son#2: I know why God created cats. It was to help you learn humility.
    #1: how about I just perform the ritual for humility. I'll need an altar, a knife and one cat.

    Love humor. Thankful God created it. He knew how hard it would be here and how much we would need it, I guess.

    Thanks, Teri for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Ginger! Maybe there'll be a lot more laughter in heaven than we usually consider!

      Delete
  3. Love this! Especially the enlightened man who told the boy there were no miracles. I truly believe laughter is the best medicine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that joke too, Pat. And I believe someone did a study to show that endorphins are released when we laugh so the Bible, one again, was scientifically accurate when it says laughter is good medicine.

      Delete
  4. Teri, what a great post. Yes, God gave us the ability to laugh and we should enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a herd of quick-witted kiddos but I usually can't remember their great lines later. Good for Ginger to remember.

    My 7-year-old likes to tell jokes. Here's an old joke but was new to him, which he told at dinner last night: "If two is a couple, and three's a crowd, then what are four and five?"

    Answer: "Nine."

    Teri, Thanks for this fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxanne, that's the corny type my son likes. He read this post and laughed at the ones I thought he would.

      Delete