I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Secret to Writing...Period




Writing is hard and anyone who tells you differently… well, you get the rest.

I worked on the same novel for ten years. That’s right, ten. And do you want to know why?

Because I believed that if I gave myself to prayer, worship, Bible study etc. God would somehow endue me with magical writing power.


It never happened and after ten years, I knew it wasn't going to.


Don’t get me wrong, I still do all those things. In fact, I don’t tend to start a writing session without prayer, worship, Bible study and even quiet time before the Lord. The truth is those
things not only make me a better writer, but keep me connected with Christ so that I can understand His will for the story as well as my own life... 


Okay, enough with the preaching.

Here’s the point: No matter how deep your walk is with the Lord, no matter how wise you are or how beautifully you can write, you will never get published or finish anything until you sit your buns in that chair and do the grunt work of putting words to page.

Someone once said, “Writing is REWRITING.” Get that? Rewriting and rewriting and rewriting and so on.

Your novel is never going to get done if you wait for the right words to come. Or, it may take you years like it did me.


Here is something to keep in mind:

If you write the words, the right words will follow.

So what's the big secret to writing?


Sit down and write.

So here's your assignment: Turn off all the distractions and just sit down and put words--any words onto paper or the computer screen. I bet if you do, you'll have 500 words by dinner tonight.


At 500 words a day, you'll have a novel written in 200 days. That's not even a year.

Come on. You can do this.


 Please share with us your writing ups and downs by leaving a comment in the box below. It will encourage so many. 

Thank you.



 Ginger R. Takamiya
  


18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kick in the butt. I needed it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too, that's why I wrote it. I've been gutting out between 200-500 words a day and it's working for me :)

      Delete
    2. I'm sooo bad at self editing! Your words, "If you write the words, the right words will follow" is my new writing moto. When I'm writing (not revising) and get stuck on a word/phrase I don't love, I think of that quote, add an asterisk and move on. I'm going to tape it to my computer! =)

      Delete
  2. I love it. BIC -- Butt In Chair will get it done. Every Time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been HARD to write anything during this period of summer trip to help a dying relative, selling home, preparing to move, organize and create home atmosphere in new place (most of that's still future tense), but I'm MISSING writing in good ways that will help me appreciate & be more disciplined when I get back. I'll HAVE to be disciplined while the kids are in school, but I'm looking forward to those steps and know God will meet me/us. Thanks, Ginger, & congrats to you and Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember Dee, God also gives us seasons. You are in a season and it's alright not to write in this one. Blessings to you and your family.

      Delete
  4. PEBCAK--Ha, you made my day, Ginger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My collage grad son taught me that one :)

      Delete
  5. So true, Ginger! PEBCAK. lol Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Ginger! And I thought I was the one who said you can't rewrite what you haven't written. lol. But your post is so true. It takes discipline to make yourself sit at a computer or in a chair and write in longhand. I know. I did for 33 years before anyone wanted my novel! But in those 33 years I published short stories and articles. Great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, maybe Jerry heard you say it ;)

      Delete
  7. Ginger, I love this message. Just like God directs our steps, not our standing still. You've reminded me how He directs our writing as we're actually writing. Thanks so much for this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ginger, love this, and love PEBCAK. Lived that one out. And you're right. Sitting down and just doing it is what gets the book written. I find that when I'm writing every day, the words come much more easily when I sit down at the keyboard. God does inspire me, changes story directions mid-session and gives me what I need. Keeping my relationship with Him at my first priority helps me be more sensitive to where He wants the story to go.

    Then, BICHOK comes next. I'm rambling. :) Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What's BICHOK?
    I love how you said it keeps your relationship as first priority. Great reminder!
    Thanks for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Butt in chair hands on keyboard?

    ReplyDelete