I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Thursday, September 19, 2013

My Time in Indy at ACFW

by Patricia Bradley

I've had several people ask me what I liked best about the ACFW Conference in Indianapolis this past weekend, and I've discovered it's hard to pinpoint one thing. I mean, how often do you get the chance to tell the author of the very first Christian book you ever read (besides the Bible) thank you?

That's what I did Sunday night after Frank Peretti accepted the Lifetime Achievement Award at the banquet. I didn't get a photo of him because people had taken about nine gazillion by the time I reached him. But he was ever so kind and humble and wonderful as I gushed about reading This Present Darkness.

And then there was the all day session with James Scott Bell. The man is a genius.

And I went to my very first book signing...even though I didn't have a book to sell. But I got to hang out with some very cool writers like Vannetta Chapman, Ruth Reid, Amy Clipston, Shelley Shepard Gray, Amanda Flower, Lorie Langdon, and I probably left someone out. I also got to hang out with the great Mary Sue Seymour.

It was my very first conference where I didn't pitch. Talk about taking the pressure off! I did get to talk with my editor, Lonnie Hull DuPont, a great lady with a terrific sense of humor. 

I did not hear you say she's gonna need it with me. 

And I certainly don't want to forget my friends who rode with me to Indy: Sandy Stevener and Jessica Patch (who I kept calling Robin). Sandy kept us entertained with stories, and one in particular was about a man who'd had a horrible day. He came in from work and told his wife he couldn't take one more piece of bad news. She looked at him and said, "Okay, your son didn't break his leg." 

But if I someone was holding a gun on me and said, "Quick, what was the best thing about the conference?" I'd have to say it was the writers. Everywhere I looked, writers were encouraging and praying for their friends and even strangers. The sense of camaraderie and love was everywhere. Months later when I look back at the conference, that's what I will remember. 

So, if you went to the conference, what did you like best? And if you didn't go this time, when you do go, what do you expect to find?

Patricia Bradley
www.patriciabradleyauthor.com
http://mbtponderers.blogspot.com/
@PTBradley1

Shadows of the Past from Revell February 2014

I asked God to teach me patience and He gave me a book to write

19 comments:

  1. I LOVE writers' conferences! I believe if you are going to be a writer, they are a must.

    I'm so jealous that you got to gush to Frank about TPD. That was my FIRST taste of Christian fiction and I was hooked.

    So good to see you again, Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Loved seeing you and Pat. Frank Peretti was absolutely the nicest man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, like you, it was so hard to pinpoint my best at ACFW. I arrived with a wounded heart and weary spirit, but by the time I left, I was renewed and on my way to healing. I credit that to the friends who hugged, loved, prayed and cried with me.

    I may be one of the few ACFW attendees who has never read a Frank Peretti book, spoke to him, or had my picture taken with him. I do love the way his last name rolls off my tongue, which is why I chose it for my heroine in my second book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny Lisa about your heroine's name. And I truly love the spirit at the conference. So glad I got to see you!

      Delete
  4. Pat, I loved seeing you at ACFW. I was so encouraged by the writers around me, and so thankful for the prayers of some of them. I didn't go for a picture with Frank Peretti, though I have a lot of respect for him and what he's done. I loved This Present Darkness, too! I read it in a day.

    One thing I liked was being able to celebrate with so many who received requests from editors and agents. It's so exciting to see that happening! My favorite part was connecting with friends. Okay, and one other thing: I got to sit next to Robin Jones Gunn on the flight from Indy to Denver. I think that was the BEST part about my trip, if not my conference. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, You sat next to Robin Jones Gunn. I'm so jealous! And how cool of God to give that special gift!

      Delete
    2. Jeanne! You got to sit next to Robin Jones Gunn???!!! And you didn't tell me??? :-) It was great seeing you again!

      Delete
    3. I am STILL thanking God for that little gift. She's just as genuine one-on-one as she is speaking in front of hundreds. So wonderful. I think I want to be like her when I grow up. ;)

      Delete
  5. Thanks, Pat. Lovely to read this and attend by proxy. I'll be hoping to come next time and until then will keep on keeping on. Yes, the strong Christian faith-filled tone stands out, and so many writers, now friends, encouraging one another during conference--and far beyond. That has been truly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dee. You will be at the next one with a completed book to pitch! Can't wait.

      Delete
  6. Pat,
    This was a wonderful conference, and I loved seeing you and the ad for your novel in the conference magazine. So fun to see another Ponderer published!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roxanne! It was really neat seeing my cover in the magazine. And you were the first to show it to me!

      Delete
  7. I had a blast. My first time pitching and you know what? After the first stumble, it was all good. Loved, loved and absolutely loved being around other writers. They have such great energy all together in one place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved seeing you Alena, just wished we'd had more time together! Conference is so busy and I think there were over 600 people attending this year.

      Delete
  8. Pat, I think one of the hardest things about NOT going to conference is missing out on all the hugs and prayers and friendships. Congrats on your first book signing! As one who has had the privilege of reading your manuscript, I can hardly wait to get hold of the published copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Johnnie. Being your crit partner is such fun! And I can't wait to read your next book!

      Delete
  9. So glad you were able to come to Indie and "hang" with us. Blessings ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun! Can't wait until next year! Thanks for stopping by Vanetta!

      Delete
  10. So glad you were able to come to Indie and "hang" with us. Blessings ...

    ReplyDelete