I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Thursday, May 9, 2013

What's Your Goliath?

Last Saturday I came home from getting groceries and asked Hubby if he wanted to go fishing. Once we put the cold stuff away, we headed back out the door to buy licenses and bait.

As we headed to the creek, I prayed and asked God to keep me from seeing any snakes. For those of you who know me, you know my phobia of snakes.

We suited up in waders, fishing vests and grabbed our poles. Hubby walked ahead along the edge of the bank to check out the water. I trailed behind, taking pictures of flowers, rock formations and the bridge we walked under. Our youngest son trailed behind me. He paused every so often, but finally caught up.

We cast our lines into the water and waited for the trout to bite.

About five minutes later, my son asked if I saw those snakes back where he had paused?

"Snakes? As in plural?"

"Yeah, Mom. Two of them slithered down the bank. You walked right by them."

"No, I didn't see them." Thank you, God.

We waded down stream and fished for a bit, but then decided to head home since the fish must've been full already and didn't want our meal worms or wax worms.

Instead of walking back up the stream to get to our car, we walked the bank. Again, Hubby led the charge with me behind, and our son followed me. Again, he paused but told me to keep going. He pulled out his camera.

Once he caught up with us, he handed me a flower and said, "Here, Mommy. I picked you a flower for being so brave for walking past that coiled up snake."

"What snake?" Thank you, God. 

The next morning in Sunday school, I taught David and Goliath to my Sunday school Darlings. After we discussed Goliath's size and how David was so much smaller, but took down the giant with God's help, I shared that sometimes we have giants in our lives that make us afraid.

I talked about my fear of snakes and how it affects outdoor activities with my family. Then I told them how I had prayed, asking God to keep me safe from seeing the snakes. I reminded them I had confidence that God would protect me. I concluded with Psalm 56:3:

When I am afraid, I will trust in you.

Each of us has a Goliath in our lives. Maybe it's a stalled writing career. Maybe it's a relationship issue. Maybe it's a financial problem. Maybe you're affected by health issues. Or maybe, you're dealing with all of those situations. Even one makes that giant seem unstoppable, let alone dealing with numerous Goliaths.

Thankfully, God is so much bigger than Goliath. God puts Davids in our lives to help us take down those giants. God gives us mentors to arm us against discouragement. He gives us Voices of Truth to help us work through problems. He gives us doctors and counselors to teach us how to care for ourselves.

No matter how looming your giant feels to you, it's not too big for God. When you're facing your Goliath, pray and ask God for courage, patience, peace and most of all, trust in Him. Most of all, remember--He's got this.

Your Turn: What Goliath are you facing today? How can we encourage you to get through it...or at least, help you to trust in God to know He's in this with you?

18 comments:

  1. Love this post, Lisa. God didn't let you see any snakes -- even the ones that were right in front of you!
    The Goliath I'm facing right now is ongoing back pain. I was told it would be a long slow (painful) healing process, but somehow I thought I'd skip that part.
    Wrong.
    So while the back pain is my Goliath, each day becomes a Goliath too. A choice to trust God, to know I'll get through this with His help, the encouragement of family and friends ... and that God will bring out of this time too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying for you, Beth. Congratulations on the new release today!

      Delete
    2. Beth, you've had a lot of roadblocks as you worked on this novel. I believe Satan knows God will be using your words to minister to others in mighty ways. I'm so proud of the way you're persevering, even through the pain and saying no to events, to conquer the task before you. Praying for God's healing on your back. And may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful & real, Lisa. My mother had a paralyzing fear of snakes. I'm not fond of them but have forced myself even to touch them in safe circumstances now. I'm also glad your family takes good care of you.
    My Goliath right now? Thankful we'll have 2 precious children half time. That will revolutionize my life further timewise, but in terms of eternal investment I'm asking God to give the keys and quality touches that anchor their lives forever and diminish harmful influences until they have no effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, I'm sure your heart is heavy, but I picture you as the anchor those beautiful children need right now. You offer them security and stability. As they grow older, they will look back on this time with fondness and deep love for you. Continuing to pray for your family!

      Delete
  3. Lisa, Even though you're more of a shopping girl than an outdoors one, I admire you for going fishing with your guys--even being the one to suggest the trip. As much as you hate snakes, you love your family so much more. I'm encouraged by your prayer to not see snakes and God's protection from them.

    I battle insomnia. But God gave me victory last night. Even though I was awake with a sick child, I was able to fall asleep again--something I usually can't do. I'm especially grateful this morning for my rest as I have a bouncy 7-year-old who doesn't know he's supposed to be sick. He had a fever and stomach bug last night, so I'm required to keep him home from school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxanne, I do love my family. We spend too much time in front of our computers that we need to take breaks and reconnect with each other. My son may not realize what a hero he was to me that day. I will cherish that memory for a long time.

      I love how God gives us victories during our battles. I'm praying for His anointing over your sleeping. May He bless you with rest and hours of healthy sleep. So sorry to hear about Peter's bug. Hopefully he will be all healed for the weekend.

      Delete
  4. I don't care for snakes either, Lisa. but kudos for you for walking right past them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teri. I didn't even hear grass rustle or see movement out of the corner of my eye. God put on my blinders.

      Delete
  5. Lisa, I loved this. I also saw another thing to ponder in your post. You weren't afraid because your eyes were probably on your leader/aka hubby rather than searching the ground for snakes. How much more confidently I walk when my eyes are focused on Jesus rather than the fears that sometimes slither into my days. I don't know if it makes sense, but there it is. :)

    Sometimes, my Goliath, is discouragement. I'm just stepping onto the other side of a bout with it. When I'm discouraged, everything looks big and too hard to master. I'm learning to take one step at a time, press in closer to Jesus and rest in Him. And to keep doing what He's put in front of me for that day.

    Thanks for sharing your story today. It was beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Jeanne and so well said.

      Delete
    2. Jeanne, I love the correlation you pulled from my post. Even in the midst of our fears, we can walk with confidence when we keep our eyes on God.

      I understand discouragement. Facing that as I force myself through the rough draft of my current novel. Praying for you to feel God's joy and peace as you keep your eyes fixed on Him!

      Delete
  6. I love that, Jeanne! Great catch. And Lisa, I love this post. I don't like snakes either, but sometimes have had to deal with them walking in the woods as my husband and I cruised timber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I think I would have found a new profession. :)

      Delete
  7. I cried when I read your post. I knew God was speaking to me.

    My Goliath today is an unsaved neighbor with stage 4 lung cancer that has metastasized and who believes in miracles. God has given me the charge to go and "not be ashamed of the Gospel for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes..."
    You see, her faith is weak and He wants it to be strong. I can't do this, but He said He will do it thru me. That is what I face this week because she doesn't have much time,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G, God will use you in a mighty way to speak truth to this woman. By being a loving neighbor, you're acting as Jesus in the skin. Praying for both of you as you take her by the hand and lead her to the One who is greater than any cancer.

      Delete
    2. I'm praying for you today, Ging.

      Delete