I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Join the Catch a Falling Star Launch Party!

Balloons, Balloons, Balloons. By Ian Layzell
Photo by Ian Layzell/flickr.com  
Hi, this is Roxanne Sherwood Gray inviting you to celebrate the launch of Beth K. Vogt's new book, Catch a Falling Star! Help yourself to a drink. Grab some goodies. Remember: cyber food is all low-cal and gluten-free. ;-) 

Party food
Photo by fjordaan/flickr.com.
Is life about accomplishing plans . . . or wishes coming true . . . or something more?

Dr. Kendall Haynes’s plans to have it all—a career, a husband, a family—are eluding her. Now that she’s thirty-six, she needs to stop wishing upon a star and face reality: Some dreams just never come true.

Air Force pilot Griffin Walker prefers flying solo in the air and on the ground—until a dangerous choice ejects him from the cockpit. His life becomes even more complicated after the sudden death of his parents makes him the guardian of his sixteen-year-old brother. There’s no way his life will ever get back on course now.

When their lives collide during a near tragedy, Kendall and Griffin must decide if they can embrace the unexpected changes God has waiting for them.
***
Behind the Scenes of Catch a Falling Star:

 1. Vogt dedicated the book to: “Ian Lyons, who taught me about courageous faith. June 23, 1995—April 27, 2009.” 

2. Ian Walker, who is Griffin's 16-year-old brother, has severe allergies. Vogt says, “I wrote that into the story because allergies are an increasing problem for kids nowadays. And as children hit their teens, they often struggle with wanting to fit in –and they feel like their allergies make them different from their peers. It's understandable. In some elementary schools, children with allergies are required to stay together on field trips with the teacher or teacher assistant who carries the required medications.”

3. Vogt writes from experience. Air Force pilot Griffin Walker suffers from vertigo, an ailment Vogt struggled with before and during the writing of her novel.



Here's my 5 Star Review for Catch a Falling Star:

A birthday celebration for thirty-something Dr. Kendall Haynes goes terribly wrong. First, her mother pressures her to relinquish grandmother Mina’s cherished heirloom ring to her kid sister—after all, Kendall’s not using it. Then, a friend announces an engagement, leaving Kendall as the last of a group that started out as single doctors. This birthday amplifies the ticking of her biological clock, and she wonders whether she’ll ever find that special someone. But it’s a good thing she’s in the restaurant “celebrating” because her medical skills are needed to save a stranger’s life.

Air Force pilot Griffin Walker’s life is spinning out of control as surely as the vertigo that’s grounded him. He’s desperate to regain his flying status. But more than that, as a recently appointed guardian, he’s got to figure out how to parent the teen his deceased parents had adopted—Ian’s life depends on it. And just where does spunky Dr. Kendall Haynes fit into his future?

Catch a Falling Star by Beth K. Vogt is destined for my keeper shelf with sparkling dialogue, believable characters who feel like friends, laugh-out-loud humor and a plot that kept me turning pages. Besides caring how Kendall and Griffin would ever make their relationship work, Vogt had me hoping for happily ever after’s for her secondary characters too. I cried with Evie as she battled adopted son, Javan’s, rejection. I empathized with teenager Ian’s grief over the loss of his parents. I laughed at the antics of Kendall’s loveable, slobbery goldendoodle, Sully. Reading long past my bedtime, I turned page after page rooting for all the characters’ dreams to come true.

If you love a good romance, Catch a Falling Star is a book you won’t want to miss!

***

 
Author Beth Vogt  
Beth K. Vogt is a nonfiction author who said she'd never write fiction. She also said she'd never marry a doctor or anyone in the military and is now happily married to a former Air Force family physician. Beth believes God's best is often behind the door marked "Never." An established magazine writer and editor, Beth's debut novel, Wish You Were Here, was released May 2012. She writes inspirational contemporary romance because she believes there is more to happily ever after than the fairy tales tell us. 

Leave a comment and don't forget to provide your email address—and you'll be entered in a drawing to win a copy of Catch a Falling Star! (Or if you already own Catch a Falling Star, you may opt to receive Wish You Were Here instead.)


22 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review. I can't wait to read Beth's book! The more I hear about it the more excited I get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, Please leave your email address if you want to be entered in the drawing. You'll love this book!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like another winner from Beth! I can't wait to read it!!!!

    sherrinda (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a winner. Good luck in the contest!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Roxanne! Thanks for celebrating the release of Catch a Falling Star with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely my pleasure. Thanks for letting me shout out the news!

      Delete
  4. I read Catch a Falling Star and loved it! I loved the characters Beth created and the depth of the emotion in the story. Many of us struggle with "when life doesn't go according to plan" situations, but the truth is--everything goes according to God's plan. We struggle with trusting Him at times. Beth's words spoke truth to my spirit. This was such an amazing story. I know God has great things in store for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's an amazing story, a great book. And Beth has more stories to tell, and we get to read!

      Delete
  5. OH, I wanted to say one more thing...

    My son struggled with severe allergies since he was 5. He struggled a lot longer than that, but he was diagnosed with them at that age. During school parties, he felt left out often because he couldn't have dairy or corn syrup, which meant no candy or ice cream or pizza. It was a difficult time as a parent to feed him foods he liked without breaking the bank. And it was a growing time for him, as well--learning to accept who he was and how to deal with those situations. So thank you, Beth, for seeing a need and addressing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My nieces have severe allergies, so I'm aware of the difficulties. With so many people who suffer from allergies, it's a great topic to make the public aware of.

      Delete
  6. Love this, Beth! I adore this line, in your bio...

    Beth believes God's best is often behind the door marked "Never.

    My hubby and I are celebrating 14 years of love, 13 years of marriage because I purposefully went against all of my "instincts" and fell in love with Mr. Right.

    Catch a Falling Star is going in my Beach Bag!!! can't wait to review it for you...

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, Congrats on your happy marriage! Make sure you use lots of sunscreen at the beach. You'll get caught up in Catch a Falling Star and forget how long you've been in the sun!

      Delete
  7. Thank you all for joining the celebration and for sharing your thoughts today. I love learning from other people and hearing your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love Catch a Falling Star! Can't wait for another Beth Vogt book to come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She just submitted her next book. Yay!

      Unfortunately, we have to wait for the publisher to print it. :-(

      Delete
  9. I just got mine in the mail this weekend. I loved WISH YOU WERE HERE! Soooo looking forward to this weekend to read CATCH A FALLING STAR. I'm so excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger, Wishing you an uninterrupted weekend to savor Catch a Falling Star!

      Delete
  10. I really enjoyed Beth's first book, Wish You Were Here, so am looking forward to reading Catch a Falling Star. It would be fun to win it here! Thanks for the chance.
    I like that the heroine in this book is in her mid 30's, not someone in her late teens like in so many romances.
    pmk56[at]sbcglobal[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I'm glad to hear you like an older heroine.

      Beth actually heard from someone that her hero and heroine were too old to be believable--as if someone in her thirties is too old to fall in love. Shesh!

      Good luck in the drawing!

      Delete
  11. I'm a day late, but I had to chime in. I LOVED this book! :) What a fun review, Roxanne. :)

    Both of my boys have food issues. My oldest is allergic to eggs and nuts. My youngest has recently begun reacting to dairy. He's so disappointed. One consolation is teachers are often aware of allergy issues and are open to me sending in snacks that the boys can eat when there's a party. It will be interesting to see how they handle this as they move into their teen years.

    I loved Beth's characters and dialogue and twists in the story too. :) SO fun to celebrate her!
    PS—don't put me in the drawing, I have both books. :)

    ReplyDelete