I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Thursday, May 30, 2013

To Do List or Time With The Father?


Lake Superior -
A wonderful place to view while praying!

To Do List or Time With The Father?

By Alena Tauriainen

I’m sitting in my home and it’s blissfully quiet with Jesus Culture playing on Youtube.

Puts me in the lap of my Father. Every. Time. 



I started the day with this humungous un-manageable list of things to do.  

Seriously, I set myself up for failure.

As I busily typed and looked at the clock, I felt myself slipping into a black hole of un-fulfilled responsibilities.  I couldn’t work fast enough.

In the back of my head I knew I hadn’t taken time to pray with My Father.  But my soul -- the human side kept saying you have soooo much to do.

But really, how much was I getting done without praying?   What’s the use of trudging through when I have no peace?  The black hole was getting wider and deeper.

Now, I’ve never been the brightest fish in the pond, but hey, even I knew I was getting nowhere.

I reverted to what I truly know.  Time in Prayer and Worship would be so much better.

I spent time at the feet of My Father. 

For me, Prayer + Worship = Peace. 

The difference? My To Do list is still there, the pile just as high. 
  
After time with My Father, peace and love are now my partners as I step out to handle the responsibilities for the day.

What about you?  What do you do when the responsibilities of life pull at you? How do you find time to sit at the feet of The Father?

Blessings!

Alena T.

11 comments:

  1. I learned a long time ago that for me, the best way to deal with the issue of prayer is to take a moment in the morning to dedicate my actions to God, and then get on with my day.

    It's not perfect, and possibly not even theologically admissible, but by and large it's worked.

    Setting aside prayer time, conversely, has left me further from God. I don't know why - my failing, certainly, but it is as it may be. My attention span might be too sho...oh, look, a butterfly!

    blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.coml

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Andrew! God loves it when we acknowledge him. Proverbs 3:5&6!

      Delete
  2. Like Andrew, I learned long ago starting my day with God was best. I deal with life on earth better after my morning meeting with God. And on my way to work, I listen to KLOVE which is like the icing on the cake.

    I regret the mornings I wake up needing to rush or when I try to accomplish something before work. I don't know how I let that happen, but I do sometimes.

    I like your equation.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie!

      Yes, starting the day with God is definitely BEST!

      Delete
  3. Loved this post, Alena. Yes, daily time with God is essential. My to-do list constantly tempts me to get going on it right away. Most mornings, I am able to have a little "Him and me" time. The mornings when I don't are often the ones where I'm short with the kids and more scattered in trying to check off as many items as I can. Not many items get checked off and I end up frustrated.

    I loved this: "After time with My Father, peace and love are now my partners as I step out to handle the responsibilities for the day." So true.

    If I don't get time with the Lord in the morning, I don't let myself write until I've had it. He's the divine inspiration, and when I'm connected with Him, things just go better.

    I like your equation too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! Our creativity flows directly from Him!

      Thanks Jeanne!

      Delete
  4. Most mornings I start my day off with quiet time in the Word and my daily devotion in Jesus Calling. The days I skip my time with Him are the days nothing goes right, and I'm always reminded of the song that talks about that. http://www.goodsearch.com/search-web?keywords=I+miss+my+time+with+you
    Great post, Alena!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's the link..I think that one's broken. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UpMedIINdg
    If that one doesn't work, Google Lanell Harris + I miss my time with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Pat!

    I will definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems that no matter how many times I learn this lesson, I keep needing to hear/learn it over again! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Alena. How did I forget to check for a blog yesterday & I appreciate this (& you).) I could just picture you doing this and know it makes the difference every time, when we take time. God bless you LOTS, Alena.

    ReplyDelete