I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Lessons Learned: Memorial Day 2013



In addition to visiting Fort Snelling National Cemetery and Lakewood Cemetery every Memorial Day, we also spend time with family – grilling, doing yard work, and sleeping in. As a working mom, it’s also an extra day I’m blessed to spend with our fifteen-month-old daughter, Haley. This year, while Daddy helped Grandma with some gardening, Haley and I meandered along the sidewalk holding hands. And the next thing I knew, she tumbled chipmunk teeth first into the pavement, sprawled out. 

Screaming. Bleeding.

I’ve never been squeamish when it comes to blood. But I’ve also never seen my child covered in it, wailing. In her entire life, her worst injuries have amounted to a couple minor bumps and bruises I can count on one hand.

These days, with my baby toddling and exploring, all I want to do is protect her. And somewhere between trying to keep ice on her lip and the blood off of her grandma’s pale yellow rug, I had a fleeting impression of another side of Memorial Day.

In the past, I’ve spent the day reflecting on the service and sacrifices of my grandparents’ generation. I’ve never really taken the time to ponder the parents who bravely trust their babies into the service of our country. We most certainly should thank their sons and daughters for serving our country and protecting our freedoms. But as I scooped my daughter up to cuddle her pain away, I am reminded to thank these parents for the sacrifices they make each day. Not only do they entrust their children to our military to do this noble work – they allow their children to protect them.

So to those who have served, are serving, and will serve our county and protect our liberties, whether grandparents, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, or our children, thank you for your service.

 Memorial Day is a time to remember.  And a time to say thank you.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful reminder, Amy!

    One of my close friends has two sons who served or is serving in the military, and I know the angst she deals with when she hears things on the news, but doesn't hear from them. We have to continue to pray for our service men and women on a daily basis and peace and comfort for their families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, LJ. Please thank your friend for me and know she is in my prayers!

      Delete
  2. Great post, Amy. Several times lately I've thought of friends who served in Vietnam. Some came home and some didn't The first time I went to DC, I went to the Vietnam Memorial and found and traced the names of 3 of them.
    Thank you to all the parents and to those who served.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. I love that you were able to go and find your friends names and remember them. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful and poignant post, Amy.

    A few years ago, on the day after Memorial Day, I had the opportunity to interview the family of a soldier who died in Afghanistan one year earlier. I will never forget listening to his mom and siblings' stories...or his wife's tearful memories. It was powerful and impacting...he AND his family made an amazing sacrifice.

    Also, cute pics of Haley. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Melissa, I don't know if I could have done that interview. That must have been so impactful. Thank you to this family. What a sacrifice.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Amy, & raising our children is an amazing ongoing battle plan in itself. Good thing we have the Lord to help us, but I also know how a mom's heart paralyzes when harm of any kind comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, it's another lesson in giving your children back to God on a moment by moment basis.

      Delete
  5. So sorry your sweet little daughter took a tumble, Amy! Thank you for this post. My husband was in the Air Force -- and during that time, one of his classmates from the Academy was killed during the Gulf War, and two friends' husband's were killed while on active duty. Eighteen months ago, one of my closest friends' sons was killed while on patrol in Afghanistan. Heartbreaking losses, all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how these families do it. Thank your hubby for serving, and thank you, too! I remember hearing about your friend and her son. Memorial Day certainly must take on a more powerful meaning for those with a personal loss. Blessings to their families, now and always.

      Delete
  6. Amy, your Haley is getting so big! She's still got the sweetest smile. I loved your thoughts. I was really thinking about those who support and uphold loved ones serving in the military. It's one of the most noble, scary, difficult challenges those loved ones face.

    I hope Haley's recovered from her tumble, and that your heart has gone back into a normal rhythm again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne, it's getting there! I agree, how difficult to see your loved ones serve and be at risk.

      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete