I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, November 5, 2012

Where was God in the storm?

Photo Credit
by Lisa Jordan

Last week Hurricane Sandy unleashed a fury of destruction and devastation in its wake from the Caribbean to the New England states. Homes and businesses were destroyed, leaving families crying out in anguish. 

Where was God in the storm?

As Sandy pounded the coastal regions and moved inland, marrying the cold front coming down from the north, she birthed a weather phenomenon known as Frankenstorm. Areas in the MidAtlantic states had feet of snow, causing more havoc on an already weary area. 

Where was God in the storm?

In the months ahead, rescue and relief crews will work tirelessly rebuilding homes and businesses to help the suffering put the pieces of their lives back together. These people will be changed forever as they grieve lost loved ones and sift through the ashes and debris to find fragments of their pasts. 

Where was God in the storm?

The Bible is filled with stories of people who cried out to God in times of trials. King David was no stranger to misery--some of it of his own making. In Psalm 22, he cries out to God, asking, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish? My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, but I find no rest." (Psalm 22:1-2 NIV)

Where was God during David's storm? 

So many people may feel they have nothing to be thankful for during this Thanksgiving season. After all, their homes have been destroyed, loved ones' lives taken, businesses ruined. They're homeless, jobless, discouraged. What do they have to be thankful for?

Where was God in the storm?

And you know what? Storms aren't simply weather-related. They come in many degrees from job loss, health issues, marriage crisis, straying children, family strife. 

I've had several storms in my life. I'll admit I was like King David crying out to God and asking why He had forsaken me. I was focusing on my present circumstances instead of having faith that God had things under control. Once the rain had cleared and the sun came out, I could see Him more clearly, but I'm learning to cling to Him during those storms. 

Despite the wreckage and devastation that will take months and years and millions of dollars to restore, God was present during every raindrop and gust of wind during Sandy's fury. When we acknowledge God as our Anchor in the storm and keep our focus on Him, then He will provide an amazing future for us beyond anything we could possibly imagine. That's not to diminish the trials and tragedies we endure. Moments of shaky faith are bound to happen. Thankfully, God remains faithful and steadfast.  

Where is God in the storm?

Holding our hands and walking beside us every step of the way.

Your Turn: How do you cling to God during the storm? Do you thank Him for the trials? What lessons have you learned?

18 comments:

  1. God has gotten me through many storms of life. Those have been real times of growth for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I know what you mean by having those storms as growing periods. As I look back on those past storms, I can see how they've strengthened my faith and drawn me closer to God. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. I can attest that ,God got us through a five year storm and He alone was there when I cried why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, I know you've been dealing with a lot the past few years. Hopefully your storm is over and now you can enter a season of blossoming.

      Delete
  3. Another great thing about our God...even when we are unable to cling to Him, He clings to us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri, I love your words of wisdom. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. No one wants storms, but it is within them that we become intimately acquainted with God and learn how much He loves us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, you're right--no one wants storms, but those tough times help us to experience God in ways we may not have had the opportunity to do so. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. I'm one who can testify that God is very near in the Storm...never leaving...giving strength...peace....shelter...most of all His Abiding Presence.
    Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda, I'm so glad you were able to feel His presence. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. I have to admit, I sometimes have trouble remembering to thank Him in the middle of trials...but it's always amazing to look back and see how He was with me all along. He's awesome that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, the original title of my blog post was Thanking Him in the Storm, but then the post leaned in a slightly different direction so I renamed the post. I'm not quick to thank Him either, but I'm hoping to do better as I grow in my maturity as a Christian.

      Delete
  7. I've suffered loss but I've never lost everything. In the darkest nights, it was hard to feel God's presence. Yet, I had nothing else to cling to, so I held fast to Him. Looking back, I can see He was with me every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roxanne, you always come to mind when I think of people clinging to their faith during trials and storms. You're an amazing woman, and I'm so thankful for the way God has given you someone new to cling to physically during life's trials.

      Delete
  8. It's when I'm in the middle of a storm that I feel God's presence the most. He wraps me in a bubble of love and strength.
    Great post, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, sorry I'm a day late, but great post and good comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, LJ. Such a timely reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm late on this, but Lisa your post is a beautiful reminder of the truth that we don't always see God in the midst of the storm, but that doesn't mean He isn't right there holding our hand, giving it a strengthening squeeze.

    During some storms, I have learned to think on His character, knowing it is unchanging and to find comfort in Him. He has also given me verses to cling to when I need them.

    ReplyDelete