I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

"Top 10 Most Under Appreciated Things I'm Thankful For"


Every November I reflect on the things I’m thankful for. The typical things usually top my list: my husband and daughter, family, friends, our health, my puppy, warm house, and food.

So, to spice things up, I decided to list the "Top 10 Most Under Appreciated Things I’m Thankful For":

10. Sweatpants. Seriously, there's nothing like a pair of sweats on a Saturday morning. You can pretty much wear them as pajamas or in public and it’s all socially acceptable. If only my place of employment would embrace sweatpants as much as I do, I’m sure my productivity would seriously skyrocket. 

9. Saturday morning. No further comments necessary.

8. Inflatable rafts. My Challenger 3000 raft floats my best childhood memories from the cabin each summer. My brothers and I “sailed” through more adventures in that thing than I can count.
 
7. Sanitation collectors. Props to them for doing an underappreciated job. If my garbage didn’t magically disappear each Thursday morning, my life would a much stinkier story.

6. Language. I had to throw in a semi-serious one. How often are you thankful we can communicate effectively with one another? This allows us to pursue our passion of reading and writing novels.

5. Ice. I love ice. I can’t help it. I love to skate on ice. I love to chew ice. I love that it makes my fizzy beverage chilly. I even love its smell. Yes, ice does have a smell.

4. Mittens. They make a Minnesota winter worth living through.

3. Facebook. Thanks to Mark Zuckerberg, we can share what we are doing at any given second with 500 of our closest friends who probably don’t care. Luckily, there are probably at least 10 of them who DO care, which is why Facebook works.

2. Ketchup and antacid medication. Ketchup goes with just about everything (except perhaps antacid medication), and makes it better. It is the universal condiment. And when you need antacid medication, you are pretty thankful somebody invented it.

1. Fingerprints. God didn’t have to bother, really, yet he took the time to give us each our very own set.

So, what about you? What’s on your  "Top 10 Most Under Appreciated Things You're Thankful For" list this month?

Blessings,

Amy Lindberg

16 comments:

  1. Ames, love your post!! We're quick to give thanks for the important things in our lives like family, friends, warm homes, but those other things often go under appreciated. Thanks for including them!

    My under appreciated list includes: slippers--no more cold feet, body lotion--no more dry skin, Post it notes--if only you could see my desk, the Internet--my closest friends live inside my computer, toilet paper--no explanation necessary, toothbrushes--no more furry teeth :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, too funny! Lotion and Chapstick were so close to making my list! Thanks for giving them the recognition they deserve! And Post it notes and toilet paper, brilliant!
      Thanks for sharing your list!

      Delete
  2. Amy, I loved your list, especially # 10. I'm pretty bummed today, so this is a great time to appreciate more things. Lisa beat me to have the items on my list. Here are a few more: indoor plumbing, feminine products and deodorant. (Funny how historical writers never mention the lack of these.) Because I'm generally colder than the people I live with, I'm thankful for comfy sweaters, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, my go-to food when I need something quick and A.C. in the hot, sticky Florida summers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction: Lisa beat me to "half" the items on my list.

      Delete
    2. Oh, shout out to PB&J! Love it! We are all also clearly grateful for hygiene products! I can't imagine life without them, which makes me reflect on just how blessed I truly am.

      Delete
  3. Amy, fun. We can sing this like, "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens." My list also includes babies' soft skins, coffee, mustard, songs, landscapes, ocean waves, erasers, airplanes, phones, and more coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, your list is very similar to the rest of my list! I'm so thankful for airplanes to see family and the world, phones to stay in touch, babies (everything about them, and their smell!)
      Ocean waves and erasers!
      I'd add landscapes, photographs, the change in seasons, there are so many little things I'm thankful for!

      Delete
  4. What a fun post, Amy. I like the way your mind works. :)

    Some underappreciated things I'd add to this list include: colored, fine-tip Sharpies--love writing with these, Gluten free food that is easier than ever to find in a grocery store, scented candles that add warmth to my kitchen and blinds that filter bright sunshine and prying eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome list, Jeanne! You've hit upon a hidden love of mine...nothing makes me happier than wandering through an office supply store and buying a new pen!
      In smelling sweet scented candles in my head, now, too! That also almost made my top 10!

      Delete
  5. Love this list, Amy.
    Okay ... random things I'm thankful for:
    Mini Three Musketeers -- I mean, how brilliant is that? A little bit of chocolate when I want it. And I don't have to tell folks how many I ate, right?
    Yoga pants. Like sweatpants, only black.
    Blankets. Any color, but they must be soft and kept in a basket by my couch. Perfect for curling up under while watching a movie or reading a book or napping.
    Which brings me to ... naps. Yeah, love those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, candy bars must be the mini size to be perfect! I love blankets and curling up and, how could I forget, NAPS! I might have to replace Saturday morning with naps. :)

      Delete
  6. Haha, great list--loved the Facebook one.

    Today I'm ridiculously thankful for the fact that I only live two blocks from my office. I've been talking to coworkers about their long commutes. So happy not to have to drive an hour both ways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. MTagg, I'll admit it, I'm totally jealous right now. I'm in the car an hour both ways at least from leaving home to dropping the kiddo at school and then to work. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! You made me laugh! I'm thankful for brooms that get rid of dirt. And bug spray that keeps the bugs away. And toilets that ....umm... anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hee hee, Teri! You are thankful for very practical things!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa took my NAPS, speaking of which, I'm going to take one in a minute. I'm thankful for automatic thermostats so I don't have to get up to a cold house; a neighbor who does my yard, gas so I don't have to cook on a wood burning stove, hair color, that I work at home, and a bike to ride so I can save gas.
    Great post, Amy!

    ReplyDelete