Every November I reflect on the things I’m thankful for. The typical things usually top my list: my husband and daughter, family, friends, our health, my puppy, warm house, and food.
So, to spice things up, I decided to list the "Top 10 Most Under Appreciated Things I’m Thankful For":
10. Sweatpants. Seriously, there's nothing like a pair of sweats on a Saturday morning. You can pretty much wear them as pajamas or in public and it’s all socially acceptable. If only my place of employment would embrace sweatpants as much as I do, I’m sure my productivity would seriously skyrocket.
9. Saturday morning. No further comments necessary.
8. Inflatable rafts. My Challenger 3000 raft floats my best childhood memories from the cabin each summer. My brothers and I “sailed” through more adventures in that thing than I can count.
7. Sanitation collectors. Props to them for doing an underappreciated job. If my garbage didn’t magically disappear each Thursday morning, my life would a much stinkier story.
6. Language. I had to throw in a semi-serious one. How often are you thankful we can communicate effectively with one another? This allows us to pursue our passion of reading and writing novels.
5. Ice. I love ice. I can’t help it. I love to skate on ice. I love to chew ice. I love that it makes my fizzy beverage chilly. I even love its smell. Yes, ice does have a smell.
4. Mittens. They make a Minnesota winter worth living through.
3. Facebook. Thanks to Mark Zuckerberg, we can share what we are doing at any given second with 500 of our closest friends who probably don’t care. Luckily, there are probably at least 10 of them who DO care, which is why Facebook works.
2. Ketchup and antacid medication. Ketchup goes with just about everything (except perhaps antacid medication), and makes it better. It is the universal condiment. And when you need antacid medication, you are pretty thankful somebody invented it.
1. Fingerprints. God didn’t have to bother, really, yet he took the time to give us each our very own set.
So, what about you? What’s on your "Top 10 Most Under Appreciated Things You're Thankful For" list this month?