I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, November 12, 2012

Freedom


By Jennie Atkins

Last week we elected a president. For some, it was their candidate of choice, for others, not so much.  Through it all Americans ranted and raved about the pros and cons of the system, the electoral college, and the candidates that ran for office. In fact, you could be guaranteed a heated debate in any corner of this country when the topic of politics was discussed.
But that is the essence of what makes this country great. We are allowed to voice our opinion. We are allowed to say “we voted for the other guy”. We are allowed to disagree. And only one word can describe it accurately…
Freedom.
            We live in country where we have freedom of speech, the right to bear arms, and the privilege to vote as we please.  Our freedom, proclaimed in our constitution brings pride to every American heart and propels men and women into service for our country.

            And for that I’m truly thankful.
            I am thankful that these young people have the courage and the strength to step onto foreign soil to defend our country and what we believe in. I can’t imagine, nor do I want to, the atrocities these young men and women see and experience daily. Some don’t come back while others come back broken in body or spirit.  
            I thank God for these soldiers daily.  Without them where would we be?  I shudder to think.
            Thank you to all that have served.  Thank you men to the men and women in the Army, Navy, Airforce, and Marines.  Thank you for defending our freedom in World War I and II, Korean War, Vietnam, and Desert Storm.  Thank you for your willingness to go into the jungles of Vietnam and the desserts of Iraq and Afghanistan.
            Thank you for your bravery.  Thank you for serving.  Thank you

 

 

9 comments:

  1. And please thank your son and dtr.-in-law, Jennie, for doing just that. My post Wens. perfectly goes with this. Yes--living freedom and choices--how wonderful. Worth the price paid and yet so necessary to safeguard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On this Veteran's Day, I want all Veterans to know how thankful I am for their service, especially to the families of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Vetrans! Thank you families who have waited and prayed for their safe return, and have sacrificed days without them. We appreciate you!

    Jennie, thanks for pointing out amid all the grumbling over the election, we DO have much to be thankful for. Let's rally together and make sure our President is prayed for, regardless of your political leanings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jennie. And thank your sons! Got chill bumps reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dee,
    I will do just that. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roxanne,
    I agree, wholeheartedly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy,
    I agree, we need to lift every government official up in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pat,
    I will tell them, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for this beautiful tribute. I'm so thankful for our service men and women, past and present, who have dedicated their lives for our freedoms. It's not an occupation that is taken lightly, and often comes with an element of fear, but their courage and bravery allows me to have the freedoms I enjoy today.

    ReplyDelete