I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, November 2, 2012

(Some of) The Books of 2012


By Beth K. Vogt


We're two days into November -- and I'm still trying to figure out how we got here. It's November. That means we'll be striding into December pretty quickly and right around the corner after that is ... 2013.

There are a lot of ways to mark the passing of a year:

  • the laughter
  • the tears
  • the triumphs
  • the failures -- yes, we can learn from those too
But we're writers and readers here, and so I decided to look back on the year by looking at (some of) the books I've read. And I'm going to admit right up front that I'm going to miss some, so please forgive me. And I hope that you'll chime in and share some of your favorite reads books of 2012.

In no particular order (because it's already past my bedtime!):


  1. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck -- Rachel had me from the very first line of this novel -- and her lyrical style of writing drew me all the way to "the end." 
  2. You Don't Know Me by Susan May Warren -- I admit I read this one thinking, "How is Susie going to make this story work out?" I even discussed the story with my husband in a "what would you do?" kind of way. She didn't disappoint. (Does she ever?)
  3. Submerged by *Dani Pettrey -- Suspense. Romance. History. Dani knows how to write one gripping debut novel!
  4. Wildflowers from Winter by *Katie Ganshert -- If you haven't heard of Katie and her wonderful debut novel -- a lovely blend of women's fiction and romance -- you've been living on the moon during 2012. 
  5. Pursuit of Lucy Banning by *Olivia Newport -- Another debut novel (historical romance) that had an intriguing heroine -- and I loved the setting during the1893 Chicago World's Fair.
  6. A Bride Opens Shop in El Dorado, California by Keli Gwyn -- I could love this debut novel just because I love Keli Gwyn so dearly. But she knows how to write historical romance like a pro!
  7. Hidden in the Heart by Cathy West -- A thought-provoking novel about adoption written by one of my favorite authors.
  8. Lakeside Family by Lisa Jordan -- Y'all might think, "Well of course she'd mention Lisa" because Lisa's a Ponderer. Let me tell you, Lisa is one gifted writer! She doesn't waste a word and pulls you into the story with every turn of the page.
  9. Sandwich, with a Side of Romance by Krista Phillips -- Loved the quirky heroine in this debut novel!
  10. After All by Deborah Raney -- Loved the story of redemption -- and the ending packed a punch.
I'm stopping at ten, even as I think about reading JoAnn Durgin's latest novel ... and Karen Witemeyer's .. and Sandra Orchard's ... and all the novels waiting for me in my staggering To Be Read pile ... 
Yes, there are many ways to mark the passing of 2012. But the moments -- the hours -- I whiled away savoring well-written fiction? None of them were wasted.

What about you? What books filled your 2012?

*Side note: Dani, Katie and Olivia and I all became known as "The Debs" after we launched our debut novels together in May 2021. I had lots of fun with them.

14 comments:

  1. You have a great list of books you've read this year! I actually wrote down a list of the books I read, just for grins. :)

    Among my faves were: The Wedding Dress, Wish You Were Here, Shadow of Your Smile, The Preacher's Bride. There were others, but these are the ones that float to the top in my memory. :)

    I enjoyed the Hunger Games series, mostly because Suzanne Collins is so amazing at bringing in the unexpected. I also enjoyed The Help. This is the year I branched out and read some ABA fiction.

    I look forward to reading a number of the books on your "read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There ya go -- I also enjoyed The Shadow of Your Smile and Jody Hedlund's book, The Preacher's Bride. I started on Unending Devotion too. And I can't tell you how many times I read Wish You Were Here ... *snort*
    Edits don't count.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant list, BV! LOL. No seriously, thanks for including The Wedding Dress. :)

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. How could I not, Rachel? It was one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are more than welcome, "Deb."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thanks for mentioning my book! I have enjoyed a few books on that list (not including mine, lol!) but there are many I still have to read. It's always a struggle for me to balance my time between reading and writing. Especially once I get my hands on a book I just can't put down! :) Like yours...!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! And yes, juggling the reading with the writing is a challenge ... often times I have to squeeze in the reading while I sit in the carpool line.

      Delete
  7. Great list, Beth. Like you, I've read so many good books this year, and in no particular order...The Wedding Dress, Wish You Were Here, Shadow of Your Smile, When the Devil Whistles, Angel of Cades Cove, Submerged, Wildflowers in Winter, Lakeside Family, The Merchant's Daughter, The Garden Gate Mysteries, I Called Him Dancer...and I'm sure I've forgotten one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Called Him Dancer ... on my To Be Read list, Pat!

      Delete
  8. Great list, Beth! I've read some, and you gave me a great list for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, thanks for including my book, Beth!!!

    I've read most all you listed and echo a big DITTO!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! I've read--and enjoyed--many of those same books. But you've also given me names of other authors to try. I'll probably like your picks better than the ones Amazon and bn.com recommend. ;-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm late in replying, but thank you for including Lakeside Family in your list. I've read several of these, and several are on my TO READ list. Sadly my reading time isn't what it used to be. Right now I'm reading Debbie Macomber's One Perfect Word and loving it. I'm also reading Ronie Kendig's Trinity...another excellent book.

    ReplyDelete