I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Tomorrow is a Special Day!!



Every year, my family gathers during the third week of November for a special celebration. We share a meal and give thanks for another year together. We’ve done this every year since 1968, and even though it’s a holiday that is kind of unique to our family, the nation celebrates alongside us for the whole month of November. Tomorrow is our 45th annual celebration, and this year, our special day falls right on Thanksgiving!!

Ken and Pam Larson were married on Veterans’ Day in 1961. Like most young couples, they wanted a big family, but after several painful losses, they realized they might not be able to start their family the traditional way. Meanwhile, across the state, a 19 year-old single nursing student discovered she was pregnant with a baby she knew she could not raise on her own. She chose life, and in October of 1968, she delivered a seven pound baby girl. The young woman decided giving her baby up for adoption was the best gift she could give her little girl. A few days before Thanksgiving, Ken and Pam got a phone call from their social worker at the adoption agency and within hours, they were picking up their new daughter.  

My adoption day has always been a pretty big deal at our house. It is the celebration of the day God used the amazing sacrifice of one woman to create a family that could not have existed otherwise. With November being National Adoption Month and my adoption falling so near to Thanksgiving Day every year, it sometimes feels like the whole world is celebrating with us. Sometimes people ask me if I’ve found my “real” parents, and while I know what they mean, I also know Ken and Pam Larson could not be more real.

So on this Thanksgiving Eve, I am giving thanks. I am thankful for the unselfish choice of a single young woman in Nevada. I am thankful God chose Ken and Pam to be my parents. I am thankful they were willing to consider adoption and that they chose me. But most of all, I am thankful that God chooses each of us and adopts us into His family as His sons and daughters.
Happy Thanksgiving!! (And Happy National Adoption Month!!)

11 comments:

  1. Heidi, Thank you so much for sharing the heart-warming story of your adoption. What a wonderful way to start my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Roxanne! I love my adoption story, and this was the perfect day to share it. I always love it when my day falls right on Thanksgiving...it makes it extra special.

      Delete
  2. Heidi, I read this beautiful story with tears in my eyes. What a lovely, lovely tribute!! I'm so thankful that young nursing student chose life. Otherwise I'd be missing out one of my sweetest Ponderer sisters. We don't know why God allowed your parents to go through those painful losses, but in His goodness, He granted them with a beautiful gift. Thank you for sharing such a lovely story! May your day be a time of love, thanksgiving and celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! My parents are so awesome, I love any opportunity to thank them in public. And I am also thankful that nursing student chose life. After I had my first child, I fully understood the sacrifice she made to give me a better life. I cannot imagine giving up a baby, but she did, and our family was blessed. My parents have had many opportunities to minister to other couples dealing with similar losses, and we all look forward to someday being reunited in Heaven with my all my siblings. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday with your family!!

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful story, Heidi. And I'm so glad to be celebrating with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! When National Adoption Month was officially implemented by President Clinton in 1995, I was pretty sure it was because I was adopted in November. Now everyone celebrates with me. It's pretty neat. I'm thrilled to celebrate adopting all kinds of family, like the Pondering sisters I adopted in 2009 and 2010. =)

      Delete
  4. Heidi, your story left tears in my eyes. What a blessing for your parents, and for you. God created our family through adoption, too, and I'm eternally grateful for the two children He gave to my husband and me.

    May your life celebration and your Thanksgiving be filled with joy and laughter. I'm sending you hugs across the miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, on behalf of adopted children everywhere, I want to thank you for giving the gift of adoption. It truly is a gift, and I know your children are grateful that you chose them. (That's the best part about being adopted...we never have to wonder if we were "accidents" or if our parents really wanted us...We know we're special!!) I love being adopted!!

      I hope your Thanksgiving is filled with joy and love and laughter and family. I accept your long-distance, virtual hugs; consider yourself hugged right back!!

      Delete
  5. Heidi, I didn't know you were adopted!! I could especially relate since we adopted 3 children! I'm excited to see two of them tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heidi, you are such a blessing to me, I love to hear your heart. Thank you for giving us one more reason to give thanks this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this (& you) Heidi. Thanks so much for sharing. Can't believe I didn't see until just now but I was unexpectedly caring for 2 sick young grandchildren. God bless your parents, your birth mom, and you and family. I know many wonderful people brought to forever families through adoption, and I marvel that every single story is such a wonderful treasure.

    ReplyDelete