I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, June 18, 2012

I Stand in Awe of Him!


By Jennie Atkins

Have you ever had a song that stayed with you forever?

I have several that I pull from the well of my soul, depending on my circumstances. This one, a love song to Jesus, is one of my favorites:



You are beautiful beyond description
Too marvelous for words
Too wonderful for comprehension
Like nothing ever seen or heard
Who can grasp Your infinite wisdom
Who can fathom the depths of Your love
You are beautiful beyond description
Majesty, enthroned above

If you close your eyes and picture the most beautiful thing you've ever seen. What do you see? Is it a tropical oasis where the sand is white and the water is bluish-green? Or a newborn babe sleeping, its eyelashes like miniature feathers lying against rosy cheeks? Or the smile of the one you love?

If you can, try to describe the awesomeness of it. Or the feelings it invokes. Can you?

Now, close your eyes and try to picture God. The chorus above says He is beautiful beyond description. There are no words that can describe his majesty. At this point, on this side of the mirror, we can only dimly picture what God looks like. He is like nothing we've ever seen or heard.

Beautiful. Wonderful. Indescribable.

Now try to measure your love for your spouse, your children, your family or friends. Can you? Can you describe what that love feels like? Then imagine it thousands maybe even a million times greater.

That's God's love for us.

Now think of the most precious gift you've ever been given. Can you put a price on what it meant to you? Can you put a price on a child's love? Or the tender prayers of a friend on your behalf? Or the tears shed when a loved one dies?

God has given freely of his love. His gift to you is his most beautiful son, who loved us enough to give up his life, and pay a debt he didn't owe.

Oh, my awesome God—I stand in awe of You.

My Holy God to whom all my praise is due—I stand in awe of You!

As writers we may struggle to write a scene, describe the emotions our characters feel, or find the proper word to replace the forbidden “was”. But may you never be left speechless when it comes to the love our God has for you.

I pray you forever stand in awe of Him.

Now it’s your turn. What song(s) do you sing in your hour of need?

15 comments:

  1. Such an encouraging post, Jennie.
    I've listened to these two songs lately:
    Forever Reign (Hillsong) & Our Hope Endures (Natalie Grant).
    Thanks, Michelle Lim, for sharing these two songs with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My all time favorite is Amazing Grace - and I especially love when my husband sings it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you wrote this beautiful post, Jennie, and for what it shows of you. My songs change almost daily to match circumstances, but in terms of expressing Him, I love this one: Jesus, we enthrone You, we proclaim You our king, standing here in the midst of us, we lift our hearts with our praise, and as we worship build Your throne, and as we worship build Tour throne, and as we worship build Your throne, come Lord Jesus and take Your place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that song, too, Jennie. So beautiful and such a picture of love for God...

    I have several go-to songs, but I'll never tire of the lyrics to "Blessed By Your Name." It's a song that emphasizes my choice to bless God's name, no matter what my circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, Inspiring post! "Majesty!" And "Shout To The Lord" are two of my favorites. Isn't it amazing how songs that praise God and Jesus speak to us?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How amazing indeed is Our God!
    I go back to the Hosanna songs. They truly take me back to where I need to be emotionally during crisis in my life. Reminding me He is faithful, my fortress and His love is everlasting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gabrielle,
    Amazing Grace is on my top 10, but you have an extra reason to enjoy it. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dee,
    I know you love your songs. As I told you in an e-mail, I thought of you when I wrote this post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennie, I loved this post! The song you shared speaks to a place in my heart, took, when I really stop to think of the words.

    "All in All" has gotten me through some rough times, but more recently one that encourages me is "God is Able." I think it's by Hillsong.

    Thanks for the brain exercise of trying to describe and fully understand God's love and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pat,
    I just love Majesty. Its one of those that brings me to my knees...literally!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jennie, so sorry for posting late. I read this post, sang along with the words, but got pulled away before I could comment.

    One of my favorite hymns is The Love of God, especially the word pictures the author paints. Measureless and strong...that's our God and the love He has for us.

    Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that one too, Jennie. Also, I've also been moved by "Above All". And I love those oldies but goodies such as "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross".

    ReplyDelete