I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, June 4, 2012

Anchor Verses: How Do You Avoid Drifting From What You Believe?

by Beth K. Vogt 


The first time my friend, Becky, walked into my house, she looked around and said, "Wow. You have a lot of words on your walls."

Yeah, I do.

I'm a writer. I'm all about words. My blog, In Others' Words, is dedicated to quotes, which is another word for, well ... words.

As I sit in my office typing this blog, I can look around me and read words -- sayings -- I've posted all over the room:

  • "Does my writing change people?" (This was a question posed by literary agent Chip MacGregor on his blog several years ago.)
  • "Pain is inevitable; Misery is optional. We cannot avoid pain, but we can avoid joy." (Quoted by author Tim Hassel)
  • "The first 50 years of marriage are always the hardest." (My husband and I saw this plaque and laughed out loud. And then we bought it for ourselves.)
  • "Instead of being a victim of evil, you see God's hand in it all and name yourself a victim of grace." (From Robin Jones Gunn's novel Coming Attractions)
  • "May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us -- yes, establish the work of our hands." (Psalm 90:17 NIV)
That last quote? It's my writer's prayer. I pray that for myself -- and for other writers whenever I get a chance. It's what I call an "anchor verse."

What is an anchor verse?

A boat's anchor keeps a boat from drifting.

That's what "anchor verses" do for me: They keep me from drifting from what I believe.
 
Whenever I begin a new book, I hold it up to God and ask him to establish --or give permanence to --  the work of my hands.

When I'm stuck staring at a blank Word document or desperately trying to unravel a muddled middle, I ask God to establish the work of my hands.

I have other verses that anchor me to God as I walk along the writing road. A favorite is:

"Not to us, O LORD, not to us, but to your name be the glory because of your love and faithfulness." (Psalm 115:1 NIV)

If I'm ever asked to sign a copy of a book I've written, I always inscribe Psalm 115:1 underneath my name.

Because really ... the praise and glory goes to his name, not mine.

What verses or sayings keep you from drifting from what you believe as you walk the writing road?



14 comments:

  1. I love this. And there's that great verse in Hebrews that our anchor holds within (inside) the veil, that holiest place of all. Yes--an immovable anchor--
    Thanks, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite verses is in Isaiah 43: "I have called you by name, you are mine."
    This and the verses following it anchor me as He holds my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, Beth. A few verses that help me to keep my eyes and heart focused are Jer. 29:11--knowing that God has plans for my life, plans for my good and not harm (his idea of harm, not necessarily mine) and plans for a future and a hope encourages me.
    Also, Jer 31:3--God has loved me with an everlasting love.

    Lastly, Isaiah 26:3 which reminds me that He keeps in perfect peace him (her) whose mind is stayed on Him.

    Thanks for reminding me where my thoughts and heart need to be.

    Oh, I love the prayer from Psalm 1115:1. Good one to remember. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning, Dee, Pat and Jeanne!
    Thank you for sharing some of your anchor verses.
    I'm going to start compiling a list from the comments left today.
    :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, Beth.

    I have several "anchor" verses. One of my faves is Psalm 37:4 - Delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart."

    I battle with this verse sometimes because I'm tempted to assume it means, love God and you'll get everything you want. Not so...but the truth is, when I'm so deep into loving God, my desire IS Him and that desire WILL be met and it'll rock.

    Romans 15:13 is the cover I want to live my life under.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love scriptures Beth. Hard to pull out my favorites. It really depends on what I'm struggling with at the time. Right now, despite how things look to my eye, I'm choosing to walk in faith (Confidently leaning on my Savior!)

    2nd Corinthians 9:7
    7 For we live by faith, not by sight.


    Blessings!
    Alena T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an encouraging post, Beth! I have a number of anchor verses. One of them is Ps 57:2, one I felt impressed by the Lord to use in my writing journey. "I will cry to God Most High, who performs on my behalf and rewards me--who brings to pass His purposes for me and surely completes them."

    ReplyDelete
  8. My anchor verse is: 2 Corinthians 8:9. I also love to have a new, yearly verse or hymn for the year. I ask the Lord for one every New Year's morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Melissa, Alena, Paula and Teri,
    Thank you for sharing your "anchor verses" with us!
    They are all going on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post, Beth. I have a few anchor verses too...Psalm 121:1-2, Jeremiah 29:11-13, 2. Corinthians 3:2-3.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melissa, that's one of the verses I cling to when I wait for unfulfilled desires. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisa,
    Thank you for sharing your anchor verses too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chiming in a little late this morning, so several of my verses have been mentioned. But I'm appropriating some of the other verses. Thanks! Wonderful post, Beth!

    ReplyDelete