I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, June 25, 2012

Blogging, Should I?


Among writers, there is one question that is probably batted around more often than others, especially when it comes to the marketing aspect of what we do.

No, I'm not talking about networking--yet.

I'm talking about blogging.

Is it really necessary to your writing career.

To blog or not to blog, that is the question.

MBT Ponderers was born because of this question.

 Not all writers agree, but here are some questions to consider while you make your decision:

  • Have you ever read a book that so impacted you that you wanted to know more about the author?
  • Have you ever bought another writer’s book just because you knew them?
  • Have you ever stumbled onto a blog that so captivated you, that you submitted your email address to the feed?
  • Have you ever shared a blog link that you found, with a friend?

These are just a few questions that you may want to consider before you pass over a blog-a-sphere presence. Especially if you answered, "Yes" to any of the above.

Okay, so I’ll get a blog. Now what?
  • Do you feel like you can come up with an idea at least once a week? (3 times is optimum)
  • If not, can you discipline yourself to try? 
Or
  • Can you go in with at least one other person and form a small blogging group around your passion? 

NOTE: it is not a good idea to cross passions. For instance if your friend wants to do a blog on boating and you want to do one on science fiction, unless your stories are about aliens sailing space in boats, you should think twice.

I have seen people who have two passions that use the same blog for both.

Example a woman who has a blog about dogs and the latest Christian romance she just read. She has the author come on and talk about their dogs and their latest book. Seems to be working for her.

MBT Ponderers all have personal blogs as well. On the practical side this gives each Ponderer an opportunity to write more and reach people that may not know about their other blogs. It is also a wonderful form of discipline to “Not let your fellow blogger’s down”.
After all, every writer could use a little more discipline.

So, have I convinced you yet to give it a try?



Already blogging?


What advice would you give to writer's thinking about starting a blog?


Next time: 


Wednesday we’ll talk about the HOW-TO of getting started. You don’t want to miss this and you don’t want to just jump in too quickly before you read my next two posts this week.

Until Wednesday,

ginger takamiya
(EIC ChristianRomanceMagazine.com)

10 comments:

  1. Advice? Give your blog a unique focus, something that GIVES readers something. We're all in it for ourselves, after all. LOL Post quality content that will appeal to a large (yet specific!)audience. If you don't have a good hub with great content, you have nothing to tweet about, no place to link to, to send readers to. It's SO tricky. 7 years into this things, I'm still praying for my focus! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Advice: Don't blog just to blog.
    As writers, we're told we have to blog.
    Well, yes.
    And no.
    It is so important to know "why" we're blogging other than we have to.
    Take the time to really mull this over, to pray about it.
    I started one personal blog -- and I loved the idea. But it never took off.
    Now I'm blogging over at In Others' Words -- and people are enjoying the topic: quotes, all kinds of fun and varied quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Ginger. You must be in my head. I've been pondering blogging for awhile. And I think I'm moving in the direction of beginning a blog. Still working through some of my fears concerning it. :) Thanks for your post! Looking forward to what is added on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best advice I can offer is to choose wisely how to spend your time. The rule of thumb is that 80% of our productivity comes from 20% of our tasks. Find the tasks that are the most productive and focus on them.

    When it comes to platform, my most productive 20% is blogging. The content is permanent (until I decide to remove it); it's always easily accessible; it belongs to me (instead of Facebook or Twitter or whatever); and it's personal.

    I also find that writing for platform is not as productive as writing fiction, so I limit the time I spend on social media.

    Since I want a social media presence, I have chosen to put all my social media efforts into blogging.

    That will be different for each writer, so there is no 'one size fits all' solution.

    I recommend blogging for the reasons I gave above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Ginger. And a kick in the seat of my pants to blog more often. Thanks. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best advice: Make your blog inviting. Read advice from the pros about what blogs should and shouldn't have. Ask others about blog pet peeves. Make the font and colors easy to read. You want people to visit on a regular basis, so make it easy and pleasing for them to be there.

    Write for your intended audience. Invite guest bloggers who can help meet your audience's needs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute, Ginger. Right now I don't know where I could find time to blog but I respect the concept. Guest bloggers sounds great, but I know that takes organizing and time, too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been contemplating this for awhile. Good questions and feedback.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome post, Ginger.

    I was a reluctant blogger a few years ago. Only started 'cause it seemed like I was supposed to. And honestly, it took me a good two years before I found my groove. Now I love it!! Even in those couple years of just aimlessly blogging now and then, I realized I was slowly finding my voice and honing it. And now that I've committed to a solid schedule and sort of found my place in the blogging world, I see all kinds of benefits...from discipline to building relationships with readers to platform...etc.

    My advice...embrace small numbers. And that's totally copying Jon Acuff. But seriously, don't stress out if you've got five readers as opposed to 50 or 500. In those "small numbers" months and/or even years, find your groove. Get a pulse on who your audience is. Enjoy yourself and have fun with it. And eventually, commit...hopefully in a shorter time than I did. :) It does seem the blogs that fare best are the ones in which writer posts on a regular schedule and the reader knows what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ladies, you all have some really great advice here! I'm taking it all in.

    April, Carrie, Beth and Lisa, Love the suggestions. Thanks for the feedback and to all the readers, take note of what they said. This is good stuff :)

    ReplyDelete