I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, June 22, 2012

Fun Friday Fiction


By Pat Trainum aka P. T. Bradley

I was going to do a completely different blog today, one on Scrivener(will do it next month)…but on Monday, Melissa Tagg challenged writers in her blog, Tag(g)Lines to take their current work-in-project, go to page 77, scroll down 7 lines and post the next 7 sentences (or paragraphs). Since I haven’t gotten to page 77 on my new book, I used another book, Twenty Shades of Murder.

Here it is:

*****
“Rachel, are you there?”

“I’m here, Sheriff.” What kind of person kidnaps two people and kills their partner to send a message?  A very sick person. The same one who wanted to kill her. Who knew where she was.

If she didn’t stop him, someone else would die, and it would be her fault. Rachel sank on her bed and concentrated on breathing. “I just received another package with photos that included the Williams’ crime scene.”

That up to this moment she truly believed Chance had sent…except, his profile didn’t support the type of planning it would take to pull off such an elaborate scheme. And it didn’t support such cold-blooded tactics.

 “I want a copy of everything in the package.”

“Yes, sir.”

Now she knew why the Williams’ case nagged her. “It was a set-up, Sheriff…”

*****
Lots of trouble for my main character. Like Melissa, I hope this makes you want to read Twenty Shades of Murder. Or maybe that same dude Melissa is looking for from Harper Collins will come calling.

I’m passing on the challenge. If you’re a writer, consider yourself tagged—77th page, 7th line, next 7 sentences or paragraphs--leave a comment where to find your 7s. If you’re a reader, I hope you'll leave a comment and let me know if you enjoyed my little excerpt...

Pat Trainum writing as P. T. Bradley
www.ptbradley.com
http://mbtponderers.blogspot.com/
@PTBradley1
2012 Romantic Suspense Genesis Finalist

I asked God to teach me patience and He gave me a book to write

12 comments:

  1. As a reader, I really enjoyed your snippet and want to read more.

    As a writer, I'm not to page 77 in my current WIP yet, but I'll post from my upcoming release, Lakeside Family (page 78 because 77 has 5 sentences on it):


    “Burt, please, just one more week. I’ll have all of the money by next Friday.” Josie clutched the cordless phone as she stood on tiptoes to reach the bag of chocolate chips.

    “I’m sorry, Josie, but you were late the past two months. I know you’re going through a rough patch right now, but my hands are tied.”

    “Burt, really? My daughter has leukemia. That’s a little more than a rough patch. By the way, how’s your family?” She grabbed a long-handled wooden spoon and tried to push them to the edge of the tall industrial metal cart.

    With all of the construction going on in the storeroom, she had to move all of her supplies into the kitchen, making the small space even more crowded. The best storage option was to go up. She pulled out a plastic tote of flour and stood on the end, testing to see if it would hold her weight.

    “I’m sorry, Josie. If your mortgage payment isn’t here by the close of business tomorrow, your loan defaults.”

    Josie ended the call and shoved the phone in the pocket of her apron. She rested her forehead against the cold metal. When would she catch a break? When did life become so hard? All she wanted was a healthy daughter and thriving business. Was that too much to ask?

    Throwing herself a pity party was not going to get the baking done. Without a full pastry case, she wouldn’t generate an income. No income meant no business. No business meant no insurance. No insurance meant her daughter’s life was even more at risk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All right, I'll play, but what I'm sharing is very rough. I've fast drafted, but not polished and fixed everything yet. :)

    "All work and no play makes for a very dull life." Robert shifted them into promenade position.

    Anya resisted. Then, realizing what Robert was trying to do, she shifted.

    "Sorry, I didn't expect that." This following was more difficult than Anya expected.

    If detecting Robert's lead in a waltz was difficult, how much tougher would it be when they learned more intricate dances?

    Now, if she could just remember right, left, right left, so she didn't tumble them to the floor, she'd be happy.

    Pat, yours sounds great! Lisa, yours too. Can't wait to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa and Jeanne... I love both of these examples. Can't wait for your book to come out Lisa. And Jeanne one day I'll be reading yours too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, and I look forward to reading your book! I'm going to my wip for the 77/7/7 challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got me hooked, too. Just looked over my first two novels & think I'll use example from one for my next post. I'm saving $ now, Pat, to buy your books and for your coming out party. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun, Pat! Your book sounds awesome. Somebody needs to hurry up and publish it so I can read the whole thing. :)

    I won't post mine since I already did on my blog (www.melissatagg.com) but it was fun to pull out those seven random paragraphs and read it through the eyes of people who haven't seen the rest of the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, so this is just plain mean. It was bad enough at the first Storycrafters, to hear the first scene of 12 different WIPs-- AMAZING WIPs I might add--and not be able to read each book in its entirety. But to tease me with a selection ripped from the middle of a book, where the tension has already begun to ramp up? That's just plain TORTURE!!

    Although, one cool thing? I remember coming home from Storycrafter 2009 and telling my book club about those 12 amazing scenes and how one day we would be reading them...and this month we are reading Beth's book!! So I know it's only a matter of time before I will be able to read the rest of each of these selections. It makes me wish I had a page 77!

    Thanks, Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roxanne, looking forward to your 77/7/7!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa, I loved your 77/7/7. Hoping the dude from Harper Collins comes by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heidi, I know it won't be long before you have a page 77. Thank you so much for your encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay Pat. I found you and here are my 7 paragraphs. Hope you enjoy...

    (loved yours by the way - Can't wait until the books come out.)


    “Molly! Heal, Molly.” Her voice carried a firm tone but the dog continued his quest without the slightest pause. She smiled up at Daniel. “He just has to learn his name.”

    “Or, maybe he doesn’t like being called a girl’s name.” Daniel knelt down and let the dog sniff his hand. He’d seen others do it and the dog seemed to like it.

    He glanced at Hannah but his eyes stopped on her legs. Toned legs he’d desperately missed the past six months. He slowly stood, taking in the yellow dress that, although not revealing, complemented her figure nicely.

    Daniel loved that spring would bring Hannah legs back into his world on a regular basis, especially when she’d be stopping by every day.
    What a way to start their evenings together. A slow smile escaped and he cleared his throat. “Wow. You look…good.”

    “Thanks.” Her skin reddened slightly across her exposed shoulders and Daniel had to grip the back of the chair in front of him to keep himself from running his fingers over them.

    She reached for the bag she’d dropped on the table and dug inside. “Janie and I are going speed dating tonight.”

    The information landed like a rock in his gut. It wasn’t for him. No, when it came to Hannah, it was never for him. In fact, it was for any and every guy out there but him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh! Tari, love your 7! Great story. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete