I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What Happened to Thanksgiving?

A week before Halloween I dashed into Walmart for candy. I had to walk through the Christmas candy to get to the tiny section of Halloween candy. Just a few days prior, the entire aisle had been filled with Halloween candy, but now, it was reduced to a few shelves. What happened to Thanksgiving?

At the beginning of November, my mom went to the dollar store to pick up harvest-themed paper plates for a get together. The harvest stuff had been replaced by Christmas. What happened to Thanksgiving?

Yesterday I stopped at a store to check out the yarn selection and found all of the harvest/Thanksgiving things put in a 50% off clearance bin. Christmas music serenaded customers as they shopped. What happened to Thanksgiving?

I understand retailers like to get a jump on the holidays, but Christmas decorations in July? Seriously?

I love Christmas. It's one of my favorite holidays, but I think we need to pause and reflect on the holiday that comes at the end of November that seems to get a passing nod between Halloween and commercialized Christmas--Thanksgiving.

With Thanksgiving approaching, we have so much to be thankful for. Not just one day out of the year where we gather around the table, but every day God's table is laden with an abundance of blessings.

Among cooking, welcoming family, and scanning those Black Friday ads, take time to say thanks for all God has provided. But don't limit your thanks to just one day. Be thankful every day, and find the joy in all circumstances.  

Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! 
Give thanks to him; bless his name!
~Psalm 100:4

Your Turn: What are you thankful for? How are you spending your Thanksgiving holiday?

10 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. As you know, there's a huge trend to simply call it Turkey Day. Several years back in a Chris. college I taught adults Amer. hist & they didn't know the true meaning. Halloween is now next to Christmas as the 2nd biggest money-maker holiday--which used to mean holy day. It's our privilege to keep true meanings alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your post, Lisa. Thanksgiving and Christmas are my favorite holidays, and I wish, like you, that we wouldn't rush over Thanksgiving like we do!

    I'm thankful to be spending Thanksgiving with my 91-year-old mom and my sister and her family. And that my mom is well and able to be up and about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turkey Day sounds dumb, in my opinion. The source of the holiday was to give thanks. Crazy people.

    I love Halloween for one reason--it's my son's birthday. As a child, I loved dressing up and getting the candy, but I hate the creepy side of the holiday.

    My family and I will celebrate Thanksgiving, and then we will begin preparations for Christmas.

    Thank you for your input, Dee. I'm so thankful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat, after the scare I had with my mom this year, I'm so thrilled your mom is alive and well. I hope you and your family have a blessed holiday. I'm so touched by your love and friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I'm going to admit, I write "Turkey" day occasionally, not because I'm not thankful or understand the meaning but to be honest, it's less letters when typing. So basically what I'm admitting is, I'm lazy. :(

    But I do agree, it's less and less. This year a few paper goods were on the end cap at Target compared to a complete aisle in the past.

    Ralene Burke had a really great post about it coming before Christmas today too. (Also I used to type Xmas before I realized that was meant to X Jesus out of Christmas and not just a short cut on letters.)

    Happy Thanksgiving!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jesse, I'll say Turkey Day too, but to petition to have the official holiday name changed is stupid, in my opinion. When I was little, I said Merry Xmas one time, but my older cousin corrected me and told me what I was doing when I said that. Oops. A lesson I always remembered. Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a good post, Lisa. I haven't done much shopping for Thanksgiving, but it is definitely a holiday that gets the short shrift. I guess it's a sign of the times that people forget WHY we celebrate Thanksgiving.

    I'm thankful for my husband, kiddos, family and friends. God has made my life rich.

    I'm excited to celebrate the day with my honey and kiddos in the morning, and think on what we are thankful for this year. We'll spend the latter part of the day with my extended family, laughing and relishing being together. We will make the most of our Thanksgiving Day. :

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Lisa, for raising the question, "What happened to Thanksgiving?"
    Why do we rush past this day that is set aside as a reminder to Thank God for what He's done for us (no other reason.)
    I am thankful for God's provision of hope no matter what.
    We'll be spending time with family and friends--and my newly-married daughter will be spending time with her husband's family. My friend, Scoti, will join us. This will be a tough Thanksgiving for her because her son was killed in Afghanistan in October. In the midst of her grief, she is choosing to trust God.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeanne, we do the same thing. I'll make sausage gravy for breakfast, then we will go to my sister's for a feast. I love sharing the day with my family. I have wonderful memories of growing up and having great dinners at my grandparents with lots of extended family running around. A blessed Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth, I'm so glad Scoti has a friend like you. I will continue to pray for her as she feels his absence during the holidays, but leans on God and her friends to get her through. May your blessings be abundant!

    ReplyDelete