I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Guest Blogger: Tina James Talks Love Inspired Historical


Hi everyone! I’m Tina James, Senior Editor of Love Inspired Historical and Love Inspired Suspense.  I’m here today to chat with you about writing for Love Inspired Historical.

The Love Inspired Historical line offers captivating stories of romance and adventure set in earlier eras, when faith played a major role in everyday lives. From rugged handsome cowboys of the West to proper English gentlemen in Regency England, Love Inspired Historical books sweep readers away to a place where love is timeless. 

If you’re interested in writing a historical romance, now is a wonderful time to submit to Love Inspired Historical.   Since expanding our offerings from two books to four books a month, we have some great opportunities for both new, unpublished authors, and previously published authors.

We are seeking manuscripts approximately 70,000-75,000 words in length, rich in historical details and set in various countries and time periods, ranging from biblical times through World War II.   Our most popular period is westerns, set mostly in the 1800’s.   After all, who can resist reading about rugged handsome cowboys of the West?   But we are also looking for a variety of settings including Regency, Scottish, Amish, and exotic locales.

Some innovative story ideas that I would be interested in seeing include--stories about women pioneers who become doctors, nurses, social workers, journalists, suffragettes, or teachers; stories about bounty hunters; stories about immigrants coming to America; or stories set in Africa or Asia about missionaries.

We are looking for writers who can craft a compelling, highly emotional and historically accurate romance. We want to see unique, engaging writing styles, with likeable and believable characters whose actions are appropriate to their time periods.  We want to see opening chapters that grab the reader’s attention from the first line of the story.

Please see our writing guidelines at www.Harlequin.com to learn more about Love Inspired Historical.

If your author voice, characters and plot fit Love Inspired Historical, I hope I’ve encouraged you to try to write a Love Inspired Historical and submit it to me.  If you’re a published author, we only require a synopsis and three sample chapters.  For unpublished authors, we ask that you submit a synopsis and complete manuscript. You can mail your submission to my attention at 233 Broadway, Suite 1001, New York, NY 10279 or have your agent get in touch with me.

Happy writing!
Tina James

13 comments:

  1. Thanks, Tina! While I don't write Love Inspired Historical I love to read them. Although maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've enjoyed reading LIH ... now I wonder, "Hhhhmm ... could I?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. My current wip is a contemporary romance targeted to LI. But I love historicals, and you've got me wondering if I should write one. Tina, thanks so much for the inside information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina,

    Thanks for stopping by and sharing the insider information. My secret goal is to write a historical, but I need to do more research first. I'll definitely keep you in mind when I have a polished manuscript!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I've been mulling over two different historical novels. One set in the old west and another in Paris during World War II. You've got me dusting off these ideas now! Thanks for coming to the Ponderers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina, what are your thoughts on time travel with a contemporary heroine falling for a historical hero? Could that be considered historical?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tina! Would you all be interested in a historical where both characters are non-American? I have a complete ms that takes place in the Amazon and Spain in the 1500's. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun to read about what LIH is looking for! I wish I wrote historical...love reading it. Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. p.s. Angie (above) did we meet at ACFW? You were moving to Grimes, Iowa, right? I live in Pleasant Hill, opposite side of Des Moines. We should get together sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great info.--very encouraging--thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much to everyone who has stopped by to comment.

    Angela—Unfortunately, a time travel with a contemporary heroine falling for a historical hero wouldn’t be quite right for Love Inspired Historical.

    Angie—A story set in the Amazon and Spain in the 1500’s sounds interesting. Since LIH is open to a wide range of settings and historical periods, it’s fine if the characters aren’t American.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great! I'll be sending it soon. :)
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's okay, Tina. It was a fun idea to play with anyway.

    ReplyDelete