I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, November 18, 2011

Seasons

I’m thinking that most of you are probably 28,000 words into your NaNo novel by now.

I’m not.

Sometimes I feel like this forlorn little leaf. Like I’ve fallen off the tree prematurely, while the rest of you are NaNo-ing for the glory of God from the heights of a massive oak.

The first day of November at least I took the time to log my word count. (Never mind it was zero.) The second day I had good intentions of logging my word count. (Never mind it was still zero.) However, I forgot. Honestly. By the third day, let’s just say, I’d given up all together. (And yes, word count was still zero.)

Am I lazy? Uncommitted? If I want to trudge down guilt trip lane, I’d say, definitely, yes. But, at the same time, I have a new appreciation for the seasons of life.

Currently we are remodeling our house to make room for the little bundle of joy we have arriving in February. This means I get home from work, change into grubby clothes, and log another 4-5 hours drywalling and painting. Dinner typically consists of Taco Bell (don’t judge, at least I’m taking prenatal vitamins regularly…) after which I try to play with the puppy for twenty minutes before hubby and I do devotions together. Then he and I unwind and get ready for bed (meaning my head meets the pillow and I’m already halfway through a REM cycle.)

I’m not complaining. I’ve just determined now is not my season to NaNo. Now I know there are Super Women out there raising six kids, homeschooling the oldest five, baking cookies each week, and still carving out time to write. I respect you. Seriously. How do you do it? (No really, I’m about to have one kid, I need to know.)

But, for those of us normal women, it may just not be our season. And that’s okay. (If this is an excuse, please tell me and I will stand corrected. I know you will be honest with me).

Instead, I’ve been asking myself, how can I use November to encourage another writer? Can I drop them a note? Offer to read a chapter and give some quality feedback? What can I do to bless someone else this month?

What about you? How do you carve out time to write? How can you encourage another writer this month?

Enjoy the season (from the ground...or from the skies),

Amy

Image from freefoto.com

11 comments:

  1. Great, Amy. This is so definitely your season to prepare for your blessed bundle & we're all happy w/ you. Yours will be one of the most exciting "New Releases" ever.
    I am doing Nano for 1st time & find it nearly all-consuming--or trying to be. It's taught me I can blow through what I thought was my previous ceiling word count--but I wouldn't want to live this way forever.
    Bless your every day until soon baby fills the new nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So agree with Dee. This is your season to be a Mommy-in-waiting. And then it will be your season to be a Mommy. Your season to write will come.
    Byw, I signed up for NaNo, but realized in late October the timing was off. I didn't need to start another book, I needed to get the one I've been working on in the can. So I backed out of NaNo. Maybe next year I'll be ready to do NaNo...
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I couldn't be happier for you and your new blossoming family. What a beautiful season you are in! The anticipation of springtime, adn the blossoms that will appear as your new bundle makes an appearance. Enjoy every day of those baby/toddler years. They pass so quickly! (although it doesn't seem like it when you're in the throes of them!).

    I love your perspective of coming alongside others as they do NaNo. :)

    This is my first year doing NaNo--SMW personal goals style, and I'm loving it. I've been getting up before O' dark-hundred to write for an hour before I get ready to meet the day.

    Each morning, I've spent a bit of time before I write praying for other writers doing the personal goals and that God will bless their efforts as they write/work toward their goals.

    Can't wait to see pics of your sweet wee one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone above is right. Taking care of sprout is the best thing you can do. Those super moms you always here about--they're just a fairy tale. So be normal & celebrate this season of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, Enjoy this season!

    Realizing a woman's life--my life--has seasons was very freeing for me. I can have it all, do it all, just not all at once.

    And NaNo. Really, Novemember? Was it chosen just because it starts with an "n" for alliteration? November is shorter by one day. There's a major holiday with baking and cooking and traveling. And many people start Christmas shopping. It's just a hectic time. But congrats to all who are on track with meeting their NaNo goals! (These words could have been added to my daily word count. Instead, they're just...words.)

    Have a great weekend, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post, Amy! No need for guilt because you are focusing on the priority in your life right now.

    I figured I could plot my novel in a few days and dive in with writing the rough draft for book 3, but that has not happened at all. In fact, I'm still plotting the novel. November has been juggling month for me--Market book 1, revise book 2, plot book 3.

    NaNoWriMo is a fantastic program, and I've written several rough drafts through the years thanks to the motivation I've received, but this year, it just was not happening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so, so thankful nobody has told me I'm just lazy! Can I just say, I love you ALL for that!

    Thanks for the congrats and encouragement that Sprout is okay to focus on right now. I'm trying to treasure the moments, because you're right, Jeanne, they DO pass quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dee, I'm so glad you are participating in NaNo and making such great progress on top of everything else you do. Keep it up!

    Pat, that's great you realized you needed to modify your goals for November and dove right in. I admire that!

    Jeanne, great job at getting up and making time. I love that you take the time to pray, and pray for others, before you attack writing! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brenda, blessings to you to saying those women are a fairy tale. You've put my mind at ease! How are things going, I feel like I haven't seen you forever. I hope you are well, my friend!

    Roxanne, you have taught me so much by just being you. I'm totally stealing your quote: I can have it all, do it all, just not all at once.

    Love that. And good point, November is a terrible month to try to pound out 50k. Maybe they chose then to prove to us we can do it during the "slower" months, too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LJ, I think you might be one of those Super Women in disguise. You are so dedicated and diligent in all you do. I'll be praying for your plot pieces to drop into place this month for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy,
    Loved this post--it's so you.
    Sometimes it's almost impossible to carve out time to write ... and it's frustrating. And then sometimes I have to stop trying and realize it's not time to even be trying ... I have to let it go.
    And then other times when I HAVE to do it, I get up early, stay up late, go to my daughter's school early and sit in the carpool lane (no interruptions there at all).

    Whatever it takes.

    ReplyDelete