I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Friday, May 20, 2011

It's The End of the World As We Know It



I thought we had until December of 2012, but apparently the date for the end of the world has been moved up.

To tomorrow.

According to a small Christian movement led by Harold Camping of Family Radio, tomorrow is Judgment Day. Using two passages from the Bible and a calculator, Camping has come to the conclusion that Christ will return sometime on Saturday afternoon. To be clear, I believe the Bible says that no man can know the day or hour of Christ’s return, and Camping has been wrong before (back on September 6, 1994). But the news stories and billboards and newspaper ads and guys standing on the corner with signs got me thinking about my last day.

Regardless of religious beliefs, we all have a last day, and none of us knows which day it will be.  I’m not trying to be morbid or depressing; I’m just stating a fact. And as I thought about Camping’s claim, I thought about all the things I hope to do, but haven’t. I thought about all of my dreams, all within my reach if I’m willing to focus and work at toward them, but haven’t.

We are all on this earth for a reason, for a specific purpose. Have I fulfilled mine? We are all at this point in the timeline with a job to do. Have I done mine?

I believe I am a writer. I have incredible people around me who believe I am a writer. I have the ability, I can make the time, and I have access to a treasure trove of resources to be successful.  So what am I waiting for?

It’s something I’ve been pondering ever since Lisa wrote about wanting something badly enough. Do I want it? Do I want it badly enough to stop making excuses and get it done? Or am I a wanna-be?

Remember the parable about the guy who gave talents (money, equal to about 20 years of a laborer’s wage!) to his three servants? Two of the servants put theirs to work and doubled them. The third buried his in his back yard. When the master came back, he saw what the first two had done and said, “Well done good and faithful servant!”  When he saw that the third guy had buried and basically wasted his talent, he was a little irked and took the servant’s talent away. I don’t know about you, but I want to double my talent, not lose it! But that means putting to work the talent I’ve already been given.

Do I think tomorrow will bring the end of the world as we know it? Nah. But I think I need to live as though every day is my last day.  I need to work as though my master is coming back tomorrow to see what I’ve done with my talent.


Your turn: Do you have a talent you need to go dig up and put to work?  What would you do differently if you knew the exact date of your last day? 

~Heidi Larson Geis

21 comments:

  1. Wow, thought provoking post, Heidi! You know there will be people freaking out tomorrow. If Jesus comes tomorrow, I'm ready. My heart aches for my family members who aren't though.

    I don't know what talent I have that I'm not already using. If God wants me to do something differently, I hope He gives me the ability and the knowledge to do His will.

    If I knew my last day was set to a particular date, I'd make sure I was Jesus in the skin to those around me so when I meet Jesus face to face, He will say, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

    Even not knowing when my time will come, I need to have the same goal--let my light for Jesus shine so others can see His good works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa.
    Mulling that question over.
    I am pursuing my dreams, using my talents.
    Even more importantly, I've stopped pursuing the unnecessary things--the "shoulds" that get shoved on us.
    If I knew the exact date of my death, I would fill up all the days in between with time with my family and closest of friends. And I would probably reconnect with some of the friends I've lost contact with. Maybe mend a few relationships--if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only Jesus would come tomorrow!!! How exciting that would be. You are correct. Every day should be lived as though it's the last. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi, wow! What a convicting post! You've made me think, and I'm challenged to ponder what changes I need to make to live life with no regrets. I want to explore writing more and be purposeful in writing the story God gave me. If I did know my last day, I think my answer would fall in line with Beth's and Lisa's. Thanks for making me think today, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa~I know how you ache for those you love, I have a few people in my life who aren't "ready." For that reason alone I hope tomorrow isn't the day. That is something else Camping's claim made me ponder; have I done enough to share Jesus with those around me. I think I can do more.

    Oh, and I believe God ALWAYS equips us fully for any- and every- thing to which He calls us. He's good like that! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth~ I had an interesting (and thought provoking) experience about two years ago. I found an old friend from junior high on facebook. She had been through a lot in the years since I knew her, and we had a ton of conversations via facebook email and chat. Two weeks after we were reunited, she wrote that she was in the hospital, here in Spokane. (She was living in our hometown of Walla Walla, about three hours away.) She was having heart problems, and because I was sick I couldn't go see her. After a week, she was released and went home to her pre-teenage and baby daughters. Within days of returning home, she was gone. Her heart had given up, and she died at home with her baby in a car seat next to her.

    It was heart wrenching. I cried for days, partially because I had lost a friend, partially because of the circumstances and the two little girls she left behind, but mostly because I wasn't sure I had done or said "enough." It was a lesson, to say the least.

    Just like we don't know OUR last day, we also don't know the last day of each person in our lives. Why didn't God just TELL me Tami was going to die so I be sure to share Jesus with her? Because that's not how it works. We have to share like we don't have tomorrow. Because sometimes we don't!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheri~ I know, right?!?! Your comment has me singing that old hymn: "When we all get to Heaven, What a day of rejoicing that will be! When we all see Jesus, We'll sing and shout the victory!"

    In the meantime, we have a little work to do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeanne~ It's funny, I was going to write about character motivations, but God steered me in a different direction, literally at the last minute. (I will probably do the character motivations next month.) I felt so convicted about this topic myself, especially on the heels of Lisa's post! I haven't been following my calling like He's coming tomorrow, and I need to. So I was really writing this to myself.

    And I'm with you; Beth and Lisa nailed it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heidi, you've got me thinking. How much of what I do will last forever? I'm not gonna get all those hours I spent watching The Bachelor back, nor do those get a jewel added to the crown in eternity.

    Today I will try to accomplish my "end of the world" list. And tomorrow I'll do it again. And the next day, too.

    Thanks for sharing - great perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! Makes you think! I'd probably try to lighten up and not take setbacks so seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whoa, Heidi.
    Profound story.
    Whoa.
    Mulling that one over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Imagine a dot, and a line from that dot that stretches into infintiy. We are that dot, and that line is what we do each day, the big things and the small things...like open a door for someone struggling with a walker, or giving a grieving person a hug or sending a card, or witnessing to someone...the results of everything we do will be waiting for us in eternity.
    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Deep, Pat. Deep. And so true.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think maybe I'd tell a few more people how much I love them but I can do that now whether it's tomorrow or 10 years from now. For a start, I do love my Ponderers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amy~ I love the idea of an "end of the world" to do list!! I think I need to be making more lists like that!

    And I totally know what you mean about TV hours. Bones, Castle, Monk. The Mentalist. I call it research for writing, but I think it might be time to be a little more honest with myself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Faye~ Thank you! I think I need to do the same. If we are going to say we believe God has ALL things under control, and He makes ALL things work together for good, then we sort of have to trust that the setbacks are under His control, and able to be made into something GOOD. That should make it a little bit easier to take them in stride. Or at least one would think it would, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beth~ I will be mulling it over for the rest of my life. Every Valentine's Day I am reminded of my friend whose heart failed her. God made it pretty easy for me to be reminded annually. It was so shocking, because she was a mere 40 years old...40 year olds don't die of heart failure!! Except when they do. At the time, I spent a lot of time on my face, praying God would give me peace about her (eternally speaking) and forgive me for not being more proactive. Don't ever waste an opportunity to share eternity with those who need it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pat~ I agree with Amy--SO deep! It would probably do us all good to focus on the line rather than the dot. =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. TERI! So, SO good to see you posting!! (Can't wait to read a blog post or two!) Like you, I try to make sure to tell people I love them as often as possible. I don't want to miss a chance to make sure those I love KNOW I love them. That comes from a moment in time when I wasn't sure I'd ever get to say those words again. I know you can relate. We have no way of knowing what any moment in time will bring our way; we cannot afford to procrastinate!!

    I LOVE YOU, TERI!!!! =) =) =)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good post. Sometimes before taking major trips that I might not return from I've made very sure my friends and family knew how much I loved them and as much as possible, kept every relationship clear, warm, and strong. That also gives me strength and greater effectiveness while away on the trips, especially if they are fairly demanding, and maybe even hazardous, mission trips.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, we're all still here! I wish we'd all seen Jesus face to face, but, if He'd come back on a day predicted by men, parts of the Gospel of Mark would be lies. So in that sense, I'm glad He waited. That, and we all have people we love who would've been lost, so we can rejoice in having more time to pray for and share with them! =)

    ReplyDelete