I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Your Challenge, Should You Choose to Accept It...

Okay. It’s 2014. I have my One Word—strength. I have my goals—write book 3 in the Logan Point Series, lose the five pounds I gained over the holidays, read through the Bible for the 8th year. ..

Read through the Bible? Really? And you’ve really done it for 8 years?

Why?

Yes, I have really done it for 8 years--yesterday started my 9th. As to why, the first year was because one of the teacher where I presented abstinence programs challenged me to do it. She said it would give me a greater understanding of His word, and it would become ingrained in me. As I thought about her challenge, I felt God’s nudging. Read My word.

I chose the Tyndale Chronological Bible and was amazed at how much more I understood because I was reading it in the order it happened. The Psalms were placed during David’s reign, and I could see what was going on in his life when he wrote them. Then there were the Psalms written by others and seeing when they were written gave me such insight. And Job. I mean, I had no idea he lived about the time Abraham came on the scene.

By the time three years had passed, I realized the teacher was right. Not only did my understanding increase each year, but when my pastor talked about the minor prophets or one of the Israelite kings, I actually knew, not only what he was talking about, but the context of the scripture. I learned about the king who sent his choir out before his army to fight a war. I saw God's great mercy when He forgave his people over and over again. I saw David's repentance and why he was a man after God's own heart. 

You can see and learn all of this too!

So, I want to challenge you to read through the Bible. And not just this year, but for five years. Will there be times when you’ll feel like you’re just checking off boxes? Probably. I did sometimes, but I believe my obedience pleased Him. And even on those days, God spoke to me through His word.

So there you are--your challenge, should you choose to accept it. As always, should any member...Oh wait, this isn't a mission impossible. This blog won't self-destruct in five seconds. 

Leave me a comment and tell  me what you think.

Patricia Bradley
www.patriciabradleyauthor.com
http://mbtponderers.blogspot.com/
@PTBradley1

Shadows of the Past from Revell February 2014 
Available for preorder at CBD: http://ow.ly/qIx2k and Amazon: http://ow.ly/qIx90 and B&N: http://ow.ly/qKdSL 


I asked God to teach me patience and He gave me a book to write  



13 comments:

  1. Great challenge, Pat! Do you have a certain amount you have to read each day in order to accomplish this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Tyndale's 1 year Chronological Bible and it's broken down into daily readings. You can get it at Amazon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. I've never tried the Chronological Bible. Maybe this is the year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, so glad you stopped by. I love my Chronological Bible. There is a problem though...when my pastor says to to to Ezra and I'm in my regular Bible, I start looking in the back of the Old Testament instead of near the front. ;-)

      Delete
  4. We've talked about the Chronological Bible before and have neglected to get one. I'll have to make a resolution to buy one! Great challenge though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you would really enjoy it, Jennie. I'm actually going to see what my Bible read is in the Chronological Bible and then actually read it in the Message. At least that's my plan. Probably after a week or so, I'll stick with the NIV translation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pat. I've been reading the Bible through for a while now, but have to confess it is taking me more than one year to get through it.. I'm using the Life Application Study Bible, which has numerous footnotes that explain many of the passages and relates them to life today. Even though it is taking quite a while, it is well worth the time. It is amazing what God reveals through His word. So many times, the passages I read speak to the state of mind I am in at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking about getting the Life Application Study Bible...and it is amazing what He reveals to us! Thanks for stopping by Patti!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've followed a chronological schedule a couple times and appreciated reading the Bible that way instead of from beginning to end. It's especially fun to skip back and forth through different books. This year I'm doing the Mariner's Condensed Chronological reading plan through YouVersion.com. Thanks for the challenge, Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read the Mariner's Condensed Chronological, Johnnie. I'll have to check it out!

      Delete
  9. Pat, I love this. I've read through the Bible many times over the years. I'm not saying this to brag, only to say you are so right. I understand and can put events and happenings into context with other things/books in the Bible because I've become familiar with it. I don't know if I'll get through the entire Bible this year, but I'll aim for it. :)

    I haven't tried the chronological Bible yet. I'll have to look into it.

    Thanks for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it wonderful how the Bible becomes ingrained in you when you read it over and over. You just get a wonderful, complete picture. Thanks Jeanne!

      Delete
  10. Morning, Pat! I use the One Year Daily Chronological Bible to read through in a year. I found it about 8 years ago for .50 (brand new) at the Goodwill store and I love it! Just 5 lbs? You did good. lol :)

    ReplyDelete