I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Monday, January 20, 2014

Crazy Things a Writer Researches

Image provided by Freedigitalphotos.net
Writers sometimes research strange topics.  I’ve wondered if the F.B.I. ever decided to check my Google searches, just what conclusion they would draw.

Sometimes my searches involved something so harmless as the Texas bluebonnets. Not much suspect in a wildflower. Even my lengthy research on custody battles might not merit a red flag.

But I’ve also conducted extensive searches on biker gangs. Ok, Mr. Government Agent might raise his eyebrows on that one.

For that same story, I actually got on the back of a motorcycle and researched what it feels like to round the corners on a Harley. Yep…and I can see why folks like their bikes.

But the search that might send a federal investigator to my doorstep is the one on how to sabotage a person’s brakes. (All a person would need is a tool and a bit of know-how, in case you’re wondering.)

 I could see how that bit of research might warrant a closer look!

How about you? What the craziest thing you’ve researched for a story?

9 comments:

  1. The craziest thing I've researched? You REALLY don't want to know. lol. I've researched poisons, crime scene investigations, how to plant a bomb, guns....Great post Teri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I can see the same people turning up at your door, Pat!

      Delete
  2. For my first novel, I researched the death of police officers in the line of duty and how to be a fugitive. I'm sure mystery/suspense writers research crazier things that could cause some raised eyebrows...or worse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, more like interesting survival skills, nautical info., historical military practices and notifications, a Civil War submarine, WW II fire balloons, enemy activity in Pacific Northwest--you get my drift . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be safe, Delores, but still, you're getting close.

      Delete
  4. My research is pretty boring compared to all of yours. :) Mine has been on exciting topics like laying a wood floor, the tango and mother-teen daughter relationships. See? So exciting. :)

    Great post, Teri!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, mother-teen daughter relationships can be pretty explosive, Jeanne, in a different sort of well, of course.

      Delete
  5. My worst search was probably how to get rid of a body. I stumbled across a forum where someone went into MINUTE detail on exactly how to do it. Pretty sure he knew what he was talking about. Me and everyone else on there vacated the place, hoping he didn't know how to track us through our IP addresses or something!

    ReplyDelete