I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The New Life of Jenness Walker

Oh where, oh where, did 2013 go?


Right here, I guess. Readers, meet Kamden Walker. My chunky, happy, hungry, teething, adorable son. :-)

A few weeks ago, I stumbled across my list of goals for 2013. Most of them flew out the window when I found out on Sanctity of Life Sunday that I was pregnant. Last year passed me by with a blur of doctor appointments, passing the torch at my job, doing research on how in the world to take care of a baby, making list after list of possible baby names, twenty-four hours of fruitless labor before we gave up and had a C-section, lots of desperate prayers like "Lord, help the baby to sleep. Just. Sleep." Listening to advice and figuring out exactly how clueless I am. Doing a little bit of writing. A very little bit.

And not blogging. At all. Oops.

So here I am. And my word for 2014 is "Deliberate."

While I don't regret taking it easy writing-wise last year--adding a baby after ten years of just the two of us, very non-baby-literate people? I needed some time to not think about much else--I know this year I need to be deliberate in everything I do. How I raise my child. How I spend my time. How I interact with others.

2014 is going to be another different year. Our house is for sale. We're hoping to move in the next couple months. My long-time best friend and life-saving baby-advisor is moving as well. I'm still not working, and my husband is trying to take his website-building business from side-job to full-time job. And the dog moved back home from my in-laws. So, life in the Walker household is still different, still a bit on the crazy side. But hashing out a routine for writing, spending time with God, taking care of my family, and making memories is worth the effort. One I need to make.

What about you? Is there anything you need to be more deliberate/purposeful about this year?

13 comments:

  1. Delightful, Jenness, & so glad you have these life-changing accomplishments to post. I know many more will follow as you get down the routine. Living in my older son's home now to help w/ 2 grandkids 9 & 8 half-time brings similar changes, especially w/ school cancelled for 4th day because of severe cold. I'm also trying to carve out more time for writing, after initial needed time for settling in, decorating. God bless you in the home search/transition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee. Hope you get settled into a routine quickly as well. That is quite the change for you, too!

      Delete
  2. Jenness, your son is beautiful!! He looks like a happy baby. I admire the way you are reprioritizing your days. For me, I am working to be more deliberate about taking care of myself. I've dealt with digestive issues for years, and they've only gotten worse. So, I'm being proactive in making changes in what I eat, sleep and getting more exercise. I also need to be more deliberate about setting normal writing hours again. It's hard to do it all. :) I'm also being more deliberate about asking God what HIS plans are for me each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne. We think he's a keeper. :) That last one is a great one, and something I don't necessarily think about doing daily. So thanks for the thought, and best wishes with your life changes!

      Delete
  3. Jenness,
    That adorable little face looks like he could be quite a handful...something about the glint of mischief in his eyes! Congrats to you and Jason. I have recommended his website services to others and will continue to do so. God bless!
    -Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has his moments, all right. :-) But his giggle makes up for everything. Thanks for helping with the word of mouth for Jason! He has often said he has the best clients. He appreciates you all!

      Delete
  4. Jenness,
    The only thing in life that is predictable is that noting is predictable. :0 but God can use the unpredictable for good... just look at that adorable face. Congratulations! The biggest thing I've learned about children is they grow way too fast. Be deliberate in your relationship with your husband and your child and know that God will bring seasons of life to you where writing will have to take the back seat. Accept it, because when you do carve out time, your writing will be richer because of your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! Appreciate the advice!

      Delete
  5. Jenness! So great to have an update from you! Kamden is precious, and it's quite ok that you life is different now! I trust that God will give you moments for all these things on your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenness, Thank you so much for sharing. Your little guy is just beautiful and as you should, your priorities should revolve around him. 2014 for me has already been different. I suspect I'll be doing more exercising, walking, and riding my bike this year to get my knee back in shape. With that my writing time will probably slow, but that's okay too. God is in control this year for me, more than me setting the priorities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennie. Hope your knee is recovering nicely!

      Delete
  7. Kamden is such a cutie-pie! He's going to be quite the lady-killer! Love your priorities!

    ReplyDelete