I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

New Year's Resolutions



By Jennie Atkins
 
Less than a month ago, I had a complete knee replacement along with the rebuilding of each of the ligaments in my knee.  Although it was a much needed procedure, it didn't come without its share of humiliation, struggle, and realization of how fragile our human bodies are.

Mostly it meant pulling from an inner strength I could only credit God for. Each movement, each step needed to be calculated, especially when the rebuilding of my knee meant learning to walk all over again—the right way.

The time of being totally dependent on my hero husband who took care of my every need for days before I became mobile, left me examining the many things that I do that were unnecessary. It also gave me a time to reflect on the year behind me and plan for the year ahead. If anything, it gave me the desire to become a better all-round person, to grow spiritually, physically, and mentally. But mostly to not sit around and settle for the status-quo.
 
Am I setting a goal? Making the standard “I want to do this” resolution? No, because I don't believe a resolution should be a hard goal, but a decision to move in a positive direction.  I believe sometimes we set unrealistic goals for ourselves and they become more of a burden than an inspiration. (i.e. to miraculously lose a huge amount of weight, quit a bad habit cold turkey, etc.) These types of goals often become history long before January comes to an end.
 
What do I want my outcome to be at the end of 2014? I want to say that I've grown closer to the woman God wants me to be. To be more positive, less condescending, and hopefully be able to make a difference in someone's life.

Your turn:  How do you feel about resolutions?

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Jennie. I didn't know you had a knee replacement surgery! So glad to hear you're up and around again. It's interesting how being "laid up" can shift our perspectives.

    For me, I don't do resolutions. It's too easy to say, "I resolve to__________" and then forget or fail within the first couple weeks and give up. I like focusing on one word. My hubby also encourages me to set goals, so I'm thinking through what some of my goals will be for this year.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie,
      Thank you, yes, surgery went well. Recovery time is slow, but every day I see some progression. For me goals are hard because often life changes and our goals are put on hold, however, some people are avid goal setters and they work for them! Have a blessed New Year!

      Delete
  2. Jennie, I'm so glad your recovery has gone well and you were able to use that time to reflect.

    My goal is to be in God's will every day, whether I'm writing for Him or taking care of the needs of my family or handling the interruption of what I hoped to accomplish because He put someone or something else in my path that day. Just being intentional about God's plan for me each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roxanne,
    I like your comment. When we're in God's will, we are doing the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennie, so glad you are doing well! Isn't it funny how it takes being down to reflect on how God is working in our lives. I mean, we always have Him in the background, but when push comes to shove, He is... THERE. I too want to be God's woman. The only writing goal I have is to meet my obligations. My one word for this year is strength. His.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great thoughts Pat! May His strength be yours this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Jennie. I don't do resolutions anymore, just try to make progress toward the person I would like to be someday - or as you put it more aptly - the person God wants me to be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in Oregon helping Dad when this came out so didn't see, just catching up now, but appreciating this, and you. I hope all is going very well!

    ReplyDelete