I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What Does Waiting on God’s Timing Look Like?

By Patricia Bradley

If anyone has read my comments on Face Book or various blogs, you’ll know I often talk about everything being in God’s timing. This is what that has looked like for me as recorded in my Jesus Calling Journal that I read each morning.

October 17,2009:
I've found myself getting anxious about getting my story published. I am learning everything is in Your timing. So I will cease striving and wait.
October 17, 2010:
A year has passed. I’ve learned so much. Getting proposals ready for publishers and agents.
October 17, 2011:
After finishing yet another rewrite of Shadows from the Past, I’m getting proposals ready for editors and agents who requested at ACFW.
October 17, 2012:
Waiting to hear from Revell pub board. Praying it’s Your will that they buy. Thank You either way.

I’m closing in on the fifth year that I’ve gone through the Journal, and it’s been really neat that I can look back each morning and see where I was a year ago, two years ago, even four years ago. What I recorded isn’t always about writing. Sometimes it’s about a difficult decision or a really difficult problem, and a year later I’m able to see how God answered. Not always the way I wanted, but always I see Him getting me through it.

Here’s another day.
January 5, 2010 (I started the Journal October 9, 2009)
In the margin I had written out the scripture for that day. “For we walk by faith and not sight.” 2nd Corinthians 5:7
Lord, I know getting Shadows published will be completely Your doing. When I think about it, who am I to write well enough to have something published? And then I look at the words You gave me yesterday, and I think Yes! It’s possible. One thing I know—You’ll have to do it. I can’t.

January 5, 2011:
You have given me a dream that is beyond my reach. Each setback comes with a way to make the book better. I believe it will eventually be published…in Your timing.

January 5, 20012:
Praying this will be the year! 

January 5, 2013
Last year was the year! And I know it was only by your favor that Revell is publishing Shadows of the Past!

So my advice is to do the hard work—learn the craft of writing. Write every day, if it’s only a paragraph because that keeps you focused on the story. Be where you need to be when God opens the door. And remember: God doesn’t give us a dream just to snatch it away. If we delight ourselves in Him, He will give us the desires of our hearts. But we must wait patiently on Him. (paraphrased from Psalm 37:4 and 7)

What does waiting on God look like to you?

Patricia Bradley
www.patriciabradleyauthor.com
http://mbtponderers.blogspot.com/
@PTBradley1

Shadows of the Past from Revell February 2014

I asked God to teach me patience and He gave me a book to write






19 comments:

  1. Pat, Thanks for this post. I needed the encouragement. I can't wait to read Shadows of the Past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Roxanne!And one day I know I'll be reading your book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, thanks for providing an interesting concept for consideration today. I'm thinking about the unexpected events in my life over the past few years and the emotionally richer I am as a result. Not always an easy path, but everything important for my life journey is provided in God's time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely, Anne, even those things that aren't easy. I believe God brings everything to us to show us we need Him. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat, thank you. This is encouraging and valuable. I'm pleased that I recently succeeding in re-gaining yearly fam. letters going back to 1984--practically a memoir in themselves. It is encouraging to see things progress, or sometimes not. So thrilled w/ your outcome, Pat, & I'm keenly looking forward to rdg. SoftheP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pat,
    What an encouragement to see your journey - living out your faith and the fruit that has come from it -- Your Dreams Come True.

    God is so very amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alena, you are a great encouragement! And yes, God is so very amazing!

      Delete
  7. Love this, Pat! It's been a long journey for me too, and I'm praising God for his future blessings, whenever they come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill. God is so good to us and He blesses us in ways we can't even imagine. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  8. Thanks, Dee! You'll probably see SotP sooner than you think. :-) I'm excited that you regained the family letters...will come in handy, I'll bet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I look back and I'm still amazed at how many times God has stepped in and . . .snap . . .things happen. I found the best thing in the waiting, is learn what you can to move forward. I am so happy for you and can't wait to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Jennie, you're so right. I'm always amazed at how He can make things just fall in place. And I know it won't be long until I'm reading your debut book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Pat - I love how you've kept a journal. What a great way to see the progress because when we look at day-by-day events, it's difficult to see how far we've come. Thanks for sharing this!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Michelle! It's about the only journal I keep, and it really is neat to look back at several years on that date to see what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pat, Reading your post takes me back to the bookstore and June and her sweet gift to us ~ I sure hope she reads this! I loved reading about God's faithfulness through your entries and feel so blessed to have watched you walk with faithfulness, too.

    For me, waiting on God looks like having this world crucified to me, and myself crucified to it...although I'm still VERY much still in the process!

    So glad you hung in there and waited on Him, Jenny G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jennie, you walk with Him every day. You are such an inspiration to me.

      Delete
  14. Pat, these words are singing in my heart:" God doesn’t give us a dream just to snatch it away. If we delight ourselves in Him, He will give us the desires of our hearts." Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teri, He is so faithful. You are such a perfect example of answered prayers. So glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  15. Pat, I just read this incredible post, and now I have tears in my eyes. You have no idea how you've blessed me this evening. (Sending you an email!)

    ReplyDelete