I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Everyday Heroes


Everyday Heroes

I don’t know about you, I appreciate the hard work and discipline celebrities make to get and stay where they are.   I also admire athletes – they spend a lot of time training and honing their skills.

My favorite though?  Everyday Heroes.

Who are they?

Grandmothers Raising A Second Family.  Those wisdom filled women raising their grandchildren.  Can you imagine?  Just when they thought they were done, it starts over again.

I can picture a grandmother who attends our church.  She has to use a cane to walk but every Sunday she is at church.  She always has a cheerful “Good Morning” and a wide smile when she arrives with several grandchildren trailing behind her.  They are all clothed, hair combed and mannerly.   

Listen, I’m still on my first set of kids and I rarely hit all cylinders like she does!

Women of Faith. I’m specifically thinking of friends who walk out their faith.  They walk it out. Every. Single. Day.  Rain or shine, feeling good or feeling bad they live it.  I’ve cried and prayed with some of these ladies and they bless me.  The tenacity they exemplify as they hold on to the promises of God in the midst of tragedy – Whew! Amazing!

Mothers.  Seriously.  I don’t say that because I am one.  I say that because mothers have the ability to change the future.  They can use change the future for their children.  They have the capacity to change the next generation -- to teach them to love and serve God. 

What about you?  Who are your everyday heroes?




7 comments:

  1. I always admire the middle aged or older ladies who have picked up following a dream after years of putting others needs first. It's never too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Jan. I love to see people reach out to grab hold of the dream that is calling them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire the young men and women in our armed forces. Having two sons and a daughter-in-law who haved and are serving overseas, away from home, away from their families, and away from all the conveniences we have, I give them a lot of credit. I am thankful for their efforts. They are my heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Alena. My everyday heroes are those who don't give up. Who keep going toward their goal no matter the setbacks, whether it's raising their grandchildren or protecting our country or writing in the face of rejection. They keep on keeping on because that's the task God gave them. And I want to personally thank Jennie for her sons who have so faithfully served our country! They are definitely my heroes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that the sons who serve our country are heroes. My parents are heroes for putting up with my siblings and myself for so many years. My hubby is a hero for leaving his high-paying job with the Canadian government to preach the gospel to the poor (first in Bolivian and now in Mexico). Everyday heroes of get overlooked in our busy lives. I think I should add teachers to this list too--they try hard to help kids learn even when some don't want to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great list of every day heroes. I don't think I can add to it. My husband is my every day hero. He served his country selflessly for 20 years, he's an amazing, thoughtful husband and father. Also, my parents, because they put up with us three girls with 27 months from oldest to youngest. :) And they still have hair! ;)

    Loved this, Alena.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alena, great job. I missed this yesterday because I was, uh, busy w/ grandchildren. I'm glad you're having a great time nearby. Wish I could see you. Next time . . .

    ReplyDelete