I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Guest Blogger, Author Michelle Weidenbenner


Thank you for inviting me to join you today. Dee asked me to mention my blog and current projects, but it’s much more fun to talk about others. Like Susan May Warren. She’s such an inspiration, mentor, and cheerleader for writers. I’ve learned so much from her. I have her books: Book Buddy, Inside Out, and the Deep and Wide handbook. I reference these often. Just this week I referenced the Book Buddy to plot my next suspense novel.

Movie Biology 

One of my favorite things at Susie’s retreat was dissecting movies. What a blast. Ten writers gathered around watching a movie to find the fiction elements. I enjoyed this so much I wrote posts at my blog, Random Writing Rants, called MOVIE BIOLOGY or BOOK BIOLOGY. My mini series on THE HUNGER GAMES, dissected the parts. (No scalpels needed. I saved those for my suspense novel.) I’m not as skilled at dissecting as Susie, but she taught me what to look for and showed me movie layers I’d never seen before.

 She also convinced me how important it is to share what we learn.  That’s why I started Random Writing Rants.

How to Write a Novel in 30 Days

 At Random, I’m doing a series titled, “How to Write a Novel in 30 Days,” based on my experience with NaNoWriMo. I gave a Power Point presentation at our local library teaching other writers how to blast though their first draft, which Susie and Rachel call the FAST DRAFT.  I shared what helps me using some of what I’ve learned at MBT.

Helping Teens

 One of my favorite parts of Random is meeting teens who want to share their stories. I’m amazed at how much I can learn from twelve and fifteen-year-old writers. On Fridays, I feature a teen’s writing and invite writers (like you) to stop by and encourage them. Doing this gives me great pleasure.  “Encouragement is the oxygen of the soul.” George M. Adams

The Cool Ghoul Gazette

I’m writing for Eddie Jones from Lighthouse of the Carolinas for his new blog launch this month titled, The Cool Ghoul Gazette, a funny tween/teen blog that’s a spoof publication reporting on paranormal events. Think of it as a full-time April Fools news magazine. A few of Eddie’s articles are, “How to Get Ahead and Keep It:  Five Things Every Mortician Needs to Know When Working With a Decapitation” and “Zumba for Zombies:  How to Properly Loosen Up When You’re a Stiff.”

My Novel
 
My suspense novel, Cache a Predator releases July 30, 2013 at Amazon and will be available in paperback in August. Here’s my one-sentence blurb: When a five-year-old girl is found wandering the streets, her father tries to gain custody, but first he must convince child protective services and a deranged psychopath who’s attacking pedophiles in their sleep, that he’s a loving father.

Thanks for visiting us, Michelle. Readers, be sure to follow her at:
Or Twitter:  @MSaintGermain @MWeidenbenner
 
 

 

 

10 comments:

  1. Welcome, Michelle!

    Another writer and I were talking about connecting with other writers and passing on what we've learned. Looks like you're doing a lot of that! I especially love how you're mentoring teens. Awesome!

    How long did you write before being published?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roxanne -
      Thanks for the encouragement. I've been writing for probably ten years, but five years full time. It's a long journey--one I love more than any other job I've had. Let's hope some day it pays a few more dollars. Ha! I got published probably after a year of writing in an adoption magazine. I searched for places that might take my short essays so I could have something to put on my resume. In between writing novels, I'd write short stories because they helped me feel like there was closure to something I was working. Novel writing is such a long process. (For me.)
      Thanks again,
      Michelle

      Delete
  2. Yes, Michelle beautifully passes on what she learns about writing w/ amazing energy.
    Thanks Michelle for visiting us here today, and much success on all of your current and future projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee -
      Thank YOU for having me and best of luck to you on your projects too. (By the way, how do you stoop over in your garden all the time? Two days at my bro's organic farm in the hoop house and I can barely walk. Ha!)
      Hugs,
      Michelle

      Delete
  3. Fun! How nice to see you here today, Michelle. Wow, your book sounds amazing and intense. I'll have to check it out, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. Ha! Yes, I'd say the book is fairly intense and definitely not something you read about everyday--geocaching, pedophiles, child protective services. I just launched the trailer for it yesterday. Take a look. Do you think trailers help sell books? Just curious since this is my first.

      Here's the link: http://youtu.be/pxYe5O-UX-w

      What are you working on now?
      Best,
      Michelle

      Delete
  4. Michelle, it's so good to see you here! I love Random Writing Rants (http://randomwritingrants.com/) and have learned so much from your posts. Can't wait to read your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat -

      I think you and Dee are my greatest "commenters" at Random. I appreciate knowing that you're getting something out of my work. It makes it more worthwhile. I'm excited for your new release too. Can't wait to read it. Yours is suspense too, right?

      I'm working on a children's supernatural suspense novel right now and having a blast. It's like I can see the movie of it in my head. That doesn't always happen. When it does I celebrate.

      Thanks again for all your encouragement and please let me know when/if you'd like to post for RANDOM, or be my featured guest. I'd love to have you.

      Hugs,
      Michelle

      Delete
  5. Welcome, Michelle! I now have a new "must read" blog! Thanks for joining us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teri - Thanks for the welcome. Do you have a blog too? Where are you in the publishing process? I'll find you at FB, but I have a feeling I'm your friend already. Your name sounds familiar.
      My pleasure to be here!
      Michelle

      Delete