I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Thursday, July 25, 2013

On Rootedness, Transplants, and Trees


By Delores Topliff

Since we got our small farm a year ago, I’m much more aware of growing plants and trees. Under right conditions, it’s fairly easy to start new plants by taking cuttings, placing them in water, and letting them root well enough to take hold and flourish when planted.

In 1980 during my three month mission trip to the jungles of Colombia, South America, I learned the rooting step isn't always necessary. The weather and humid atmosphere there are so perfect, residents break off a branch of anything growing, shove it in the ground with no preparation, and it quickly branches and flowers. Even fence posts sprout, branch, and bloom there. African violets, gardenias and all manner of philodendrons all thrive. It’s hard to keep from crushing beauty underfoot, and bright clusters of fabulous orchids hang from the trees.

The simple rooting process got me thinking about eternity. God plants us on this lovely earth and invites us to take root in Himself. We send out little tendrils and rootlets, living here in the medium of His Spirit, as He prepares us for the transplant to the perfect atmosphere of heaven’s eternality.
 
That same principle is true in writing--Susie, Rachel, and My Book Therapy provide a nearly-perfect writing atmosphere. Immersed in that influence, our writing can’t help but sprouts, branch out, and bloom.

A Jewish source says God instructed Noah to plant pine trees, taking 70 years to mature, and then harvest them to build the ark. What amazing forethought and planning.
Another ancient Jewish story describes a Torah scholar who observed a man planting a carob tree. “Don’t you know a carob tree takes 70 years to bear fruit? You won’t see the fruit in your lifetime!”
The man answered, “My fathers planted before me, and today I enjoy their fruit. I plant for my children.”
What seeds will you sow in your writing today? What other seeds will you sow for yourself, and for those who follow?

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing nice story of tree transplanting.
    Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing the world through your eyes. You've always got an interesting perspective. Today, I'm seeking God's agenda and sowing seeds for His legacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Esmond. Nice to hear from you.

    And Roxanne I'm very sure you and Steve are sowing wonderful quality seeds. What an amazing harvest lies ahead, and will include lots of good surprises--including how far your impact and influence goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I actually cut limbs from my SIL's Althea's bushes a few years ago, brought them home and stuck them in the ground. They are now 8' tall!
    Love the analogy of planting and writing. So true. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your posts, Dee. Beautiful in their simplicity and profound in their thought. In my writing, I hope to sow seeds of truth into the heart of my character, and hopefully in a one-day reader. In my life, spending time with my kids is where I'm sowing personal seeds. My hope is they see and know grace in the midst of mistakes and training, love unconditional and that they see Jesus in my husband and me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate you both and see you sowing lasting seeds. Just like your tall transplants, Pat, I know both you and Jeanne will reap tall and major harvests :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sole prayer when I started writing was to reach at least one person who wants to know God or have a deeper relationship with him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And your written (and spoken) words do that beautifully, Jennie. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete