I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My Little Biped


My kiddo is struggling to become a biped. Yes, she’s at the age where crawling just won’t do, she insists on standing on her own two feet. I can almost hear her mischievous grin saying, “Look, Mom, no hands!” as she lunges forehead first toward the sharpest corner in the room.

When she’s not stacking another bruise on her forehead, she busy investigating the electrical outlets or power cords, eating leftover Christmas tree needles, or scooting around with a dog toy in her mouth. She’s constantly into everything.

In the morning, when I’m getting ready for work, I find myself putting her back into her crib with a few toys just to keep her out of harm’s way. It doesn't matter which toys I put in the crib. My little cruiser finds this incredibly insulting, and stands and wails, clinging to the crib slats.

As I’m brushing my teeth in the doorway making faces at her, I can’t help but notice how she looks like a little jailbird, desperate to break out. I’ve tried dozens of times to explain to her that the slats are just to keep her safe until I can go exploring with her, but there’s just no reasoning with an eleven month old in the middle of a tirade.

Watching her makes me ponder all of the times God has given me boundaries, and rather than being thankful, I’m standing at the edge wailing, trying to push just beyond the limits He’s set to keep me safe.

This year one of the topics I plan on pondering is what God is teaching me as I raise my daughter. Each day I learn about an attribute of our Heavenly Father as I watch her grow. I also learn more about my stubborn self, for better or worse!

Your turn: Can you think of a time in your life when you could look back and see the boundaries God had set for you as a blessing, instead of something to break free from?

Blessings,

Amy and the Junior Jailbird

18 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Amy. And little Haley is 11 months old? Wow! She is such a cutie, even when she's behind bars.
    God's boundaries? Absolutely. More than once, but I think I'll mention when I wanted to get published so bad I didn't care how (almost). I am so thankful He didn't allow that to happen. My book just wasn't ready. I would be mortified now if it had been. And I've learned His timing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I can't believe we're already planning her first birthday! Thanks for pointing out boundaries also apply to our writing life, Pat, sometimes I still forget that!

      Delete
  2. What a great post! And, those days are not so far behind me, with an 8 and almost 10 year old. I hate to say it, but they still chafe at boundaries. I love your thoughts about how we respond when God places boundaries around me. Sigh. I wish I could say I always accept them with grace and joy.

    There have definitely been boundaries set in my writing life, but I think the most significant one in my life has been in waiting for "Mr. Right for me." God taught me the beauty in waiting for his best for me in terms of a husband, and not settling for "good enough." How many times I was ready to give up the mantle of singleness to anyone, just to be called Mrs. So-and-so. God helped me to wait, and my husband is the most amazing man on the planet, as far as I'm concerned. So glad God put those boundaries around me and helped me to wait for His best for me.

    I'm looking forward to more of your posts, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't the time fly by? I can't imagine what boundaries an 8 and almost 10 year old can push! I completely understand what you mean about wishing we could accept God's boundaries with more grace. I look at my struggling daughter and think, "I'm just trying to protect you, Little One." How often does God think that about me? :)

      Thanks for sharing about waiting for your husband. I think that can be one f the hardest things to wait for as a young woman. I'm so glad you waited and God blessed you with the perfect man!

      Delete
  3. So wise, Amy! God has rubbed off more of my rough edges through my mothering years -- revealing strengths and weaknesses ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Beth, I'm scared to see what rough edges of mine God is going to use Haley to address...you must have done more than one thing right, your kids are amazing, and so are YOU!

      Delete
  4. I love what you're pondering--and, yes, God puts those same protective bars around us until we're ready. I fight physical limitations and generally do great, but initially having to adjust to initial pacemaker surgery meant letting others do for me and learning to accept--good for my personality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Dee, you are like Paul, with a thorn in the flesh. Praying God uses your limitations to keep you close to Him. You are right, those are bars of protection!

      Delete
  5. I loved this! I'm constantly learning about my relationship with God through my own parenting. I've also discovered once I stop pouting, there's more freedom in boundaries than not. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, thanks for visiting! Isn't it amazing how much your kids teach you? Why is it so much easier to see from the "God's eye" view, than when you are the kid trying to figure things out?

      I love what you said about freedom within boundaries, that's so true. It is freeing to know where we can safely be! And thank God for his grace when we stray, right? :)

      Delete
  6. Amy, Your darling little girl isn't even a year old and you're already learning how much parenting teaches us about our character (especially flaws) and our relationship to God.

    Boundaries? I'm finally(!) learning to submit to my Master, knowing He has my best interest at heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, yes, she certainly highlights my flaws! I meant to comment on your post, too, about being prepared and making a will, we are just doing that now, and it's good, but scary. I can't imagine anyone else raising Haley. Thank God she's a gift and was His before she was mine.

      I'm glad you pointed out God has our best interest at heart. Sometimes I overlook that when I'm chafing at the boundaries He's given me.

      Delete
  7. Yes, Amy, our children teach us so much! I don't think there's ever a time when I haven't had boundaries from God. But they always are for my blessing even when I don't see it at the time. Thanks for bringing this to our attention again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you recognize we always have boundaries from God. And you're right, they are for our blessing!

      Delete
  8. Raise your hand if you've ever said or ever heard from your own parents..."It's for your own good." That's how God is with us. We need boundaries. Providing boundaries shows our love for our children. Just as God does for us. Great post, Ames. I can't believe Princess H is going to be 1 soon!! She's so precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, LJ, I used to HATE it when my parent's said that. I mean, obviously, I knew more, right? And yet, looking back, I'm so glad they were so clear about my boundaries. I'm also thankful God is clear about his.

      And LJ, props to you for loving little kids all day long, it's A LOT of work! :)

      Delete
  9. Amy - yes! I know there have been times.
    This is a beautiful, thoughtful post. I can relate, not only to the way God holds and protects us, but also to a wonderful, wailing child (mine is 16 and upset with his boundaries).
    Thanks for the great thoughts. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shawnelle! Thanks for stopping by! I'll have to come back to you in a few short years for your wisdom when my kiddo is 16. Everyone keeps telling me these are the easy years (y'all are scaring me!)

    Keep strong in your boundary line, I know your son will look back and appreciate it someday. :)

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete