I will thank the Lord with all my heart as I meet with his godly people. How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them. Psalm 111:1-2 NLT

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Warmth of Marital Friendship


A week or so ago, Hubby asked me to email him copies of my book covers and please not to ask why. So like a dutiful wife, I complied. That didn't keep me from wondering though.

Last night Hubby handed me a package and said, "Belated congratulations on winning your Carol award."

I opened the package and blinked back tears at my husband's thoughtfulness. He had a blanket made with the Lakeside Reunion and the Lakeside Family book covers on it.


What warms my heart the most is this was something he did on his own without my prompting or hint dropping. I mean, he knows how much I'd love an iPhone, but this was totally unexpected. 

The warmth of our marital friendship isn't based on tangible gifts. It's way more than that. 

My relationship with Hubby started as a friendship that developed into loving relationship across the miles. Our courtship was unique--done through letters and phone calls as we spent 18 months apart while he was in the service. 


The past twenty-three years of our marriage haven't been without its challenges and heartaches. We weathered many storms, but he's my true real-life hero because he healed my internal wound (Remember--Susie May Warren teaches, "God heals the lie, the hero heals the wound.)

Hubby's my Voice of Reason. He's my security. He makes me laugh and dries my tears. He loves me unconditionally. I've become a better person by being his wife. 

It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages. 
~Friedrich Nietzsche


If you're married, what qualities do you appreciate most about your spouse? If you're not married, what qualities are you looking for in a spouse? 

9 comments:

  1. I thought your husband might have had the covers framed. I didn't even know you could make blankets like that. How amazing and perfect. I love hearing of marriages who weather storms and come out stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Lisa. How fun that he did that for you! I'm with Roxanne, hearing stories about marriages that thrive in the trials always brings tears to my eyes. :)

    My husband is my biggest cheer leader in life--in mothering, singing, writing. He's supportive and encouraging. He's a gentle leader. He's thoughtful, and, well, I could go on and on, so I'll stop here. He's my best friend. :)

    Merry Christmas, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your husband is so thoughtful. Yay for him!
    What I love most about my hubby? He makes me laugh, holds me when I'm upset and is the best snuggler!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, what a treasure your husband is! The blanket is love expressed. My friend, Bryan, is thoughtful like that. When I returned home after not winning the Genesis, he had a dozen red roses waiting for me. Great post, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is sooooo sweet!!!! Oh my goodness.

    Mike is my best friend. We make decisions together and he really cares about what I care about...even if he wouldn't otherwise. And he surprised me yesterday...I came home to find a bunch of wrapped gifts under the tree, all for me. I have no idea what he got me because I didn't really give him many hints. I feel so cherished that he planned ahead and really thought about what to get me. That means so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awesome, Lisa! You have one thoughtful husband!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't have a computer yesterday but love this. So really, by being a hero, your husband is also co-author of the stories and love coming through you. It's his prize-winning blanket, too. No, on second thought, really, your beautiful marriage is that. Thanks for sharing, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa,
    What a beautiful, thoughtful gesture! I love reading stories about marriages that are blessed and filled with love and friendship. I am also fortunate to have an amazing husband. He is always a support and an encourager. Goes with me to my writing conferences and cheers me on. This sounds like something he would do :) We are blessed...

    ReplyDelete